“A pleasant spa break”

Bannatyne Spa Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Hastings
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My girlfriend treated us to a couple of nights here for my birthday, having visited the Bannatyne hotel, Charlton House in Somerset. The deal included dinner on one night plus spa treatments. We arrived on the Sunday night, the location is not difficult to find being on the main road out of Battle, although in misty conditions the drive to the hotel which also has a golf course can be confusing. We were warmly greeted, the level of service in Bannatyne's we've found to be very good. As we walked to the room, I remember thinking the landing could do with some redecorating, however the room we had was top notch, so no complaints. I used the free Wi-Fi on offer, however it was so slow it was quicker to use 3G on my phone instead. We opted to have dinner as well on our arrival night, which was good value. The presentation is good, portions are for the look rather than the gut busting, but neither of us felt we hadn't eaten well. Breakfast both mornings was varied, buffet style with other options available to order. I used the gym in the morning which was decent. The spa and gym complex are separate to the main hotel, and you have to remember that this is a popular local gym too. We intended to spend the day chilling out in the spa area, but in reality the places to sit are the cafe at the gym, next to the outside hot tubs (which in October isn't really an option), the hotel garden, or the hotel bar. The pool has four chairs and was busy with an aqua aerobics class, and we eventually spent a couple of hours in the bar area where we had to go and find someone to serve us, and also had a rather loud business meeting going on. Our spa treatments were of good quality, and we also found the relaxation room in the spa area, but we weren't sure if we could go and spend more time there as well. Dinner and breakfast the second night were of equally high quality.
In conclusion, I would say that the hotel is high quality in line with how we have found Bannatyne establishments, however it just needs a little bit of polishing up to really get the wow factor we previously felt when visiting Charlton House. On the plus side, lovely room, great food, beautiful location, gorgeous spa treatments and polite and friendly service. Things to improve...a fuller explanation of how a spa day would work...could we use the relaxation room during the day rather than what is really a busy health club, as an example? Better signposting around the place. And improved Wi-Fi.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear boyvision

Many thanks for your review following your recent stay and also for your support of the Bannatyne group of hotels. I am extremely grateful for your constructive feedback and am delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

I have discussed your comments regarding the use of the spa with my colleagues at the health club and we are working to improve our communication to hotel residents regarding the club and spa facilities.

I am sorry to hear of the poor wifi reception. Had this been reported to reception, I am sure it could have been rectified immediately by resetting the router.

We have a continuous refurbishment program around the hotel and I can happily say that the landings and bedroom corridors have all recently been painted.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Our daughter had her wedding at the hotel - everything about the place is superb. From the staff to the accomodation & gardens. The staff were always friendly, polite & helpful - nothing was to much trouble. They treated our daughter like a princess - making sure that her big day went without a hitch. We also feel it was very good value for the money too. The food for the wedding breakfast was well presented, hot & very tasty - as was the evening buffet. I would definately reccomend this hotel whether it is just for a weekend away or for a wedding.

Room Tip: After speaking to other guests at the wedding no one had anything bad to say about any of the rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Jean B

Many thanks for your review following your daughter's wedding. It was a pleasure to be part of such a special day and I am delighted that you found our team to be friendly, polite and helpful.

I do hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and please do pass my best wishes to the happy couple.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

The hotel is in a fabulous location, about £7 taxi journey from the station. The food is beautiful and the restaurant not to crowded. I booked through Spabreaks and got a wonderful deal. The standard room is actually very large and quiet with a very comfortable bed and a lovely facial and manicure in the spa. The afternoon tea option I highly recommend. Only negativity is that during afternoon tea, they played the football on the tv which was a bit out of character with the rest of the experience.

Dear hannahgoesabroad5

Many thanks for your review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent spa break, particularly the Afternoon Tea. I have noted your comments regarding the football showing in the bar area and will be mindful of this in future.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I visited this hotel on a spa break voucher and were not disappointed. The setting is lovely, the staff great, the gym and spa facilities way more that you would usually get from a hotel. Food in the restaurant was very tasty tho not huge portions but this was more than made up for with the huge breakfast. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear Mrs_OzKent

Many thanks for your glowing review following your recent stay. I am delighted that you were not disappointed and found time to enjoy the extensive facilities.

I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed there, amazing, massive room, wonderful staff, excellent food, beautiful grounds, just excellent. They were extremely helpful as e stayed for a couple of nights and the food, well, it was just brilliant. Thankyou.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Alex H

It was a pleasure to read your fantastic review following your recent stay with us. I have shared your comments with the team and they are extremely grateful for the kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

This hotel is a little gem on the south east coast of Hastings. My self and wife went for a 24 hour break just to relax and use the spa and stay over night. Its a great place to go with great staff and it was a good price. We loved it and shall go back again.

Room Tip: We had room 14 right at the end and out of the way

Dear scottj

Many thanks for your recent review following your stay. I am delighted that you found your break to be relaxing and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I reviewed the Bannatyne Hotel & Spa Hastings back in March when I visited with my girlfriend for one night over my birthday weekend and we both agreed that we had such a lovely, relaxing time that we would have to return and stay for two nights before the year was out and we did exactly that. We came with high expectations from our previous stay and we were impressed yet again.

The General Manager, Mark O'Reilly, very kindly arranged to upgrade our booking to a deluxe room and it was spectacular. The bathroom was huge, with two sinks and a separate bath (with a TV embedded in the wall at one end!) and shower cubicle. Everything was clean and in excellent repair with nothing out of place. The bed was nice and big too, with an enormous Samsung TV that rose up out of a cabinet at the foot of the bed and swivelled round according to whether we wanted to watch TV from the sofa or the bed.

Mark also, true to his word, left us a little gift of some extra shower gel (try it, it says "invigorating" on the bottle and believe me it is!) that we had experienced on our first stay here. We felt like we were valued guests and we had really excellent service with a personal touch that made our stay special.

Aside from all this, everything was just as wonderful as we remembered it. The gardens are beautiful and we had a couple of games of giant chess while watching the occasional rabbit or squirrel hopping about. The pool, jacuzzi and outdoor hot tubs were lovely and relaxing and the food, both breakfast and dinner, in the conservatory was just as amazing as it was last time.

Even with our expectations having been set high the last time, we were not let down at all and we would happily recommend this place to anyone. In fact, I'm all for making it a regular thing, to visit at least once a year, although there are many other holidays we have yet to experience!

Room Tip: Room 31 is beautiful, huge and luxurious, with a massive TV that hides in a cabinet at the foot of t...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear geraintwd

Many thanks for your amazing review (again) following your 2nd visit to the Bannatyne Spa Hotel Hastings. It was a pleasure to welcome you both back and I am delighted to hear that your high expectations were not let down.

I do hope your supply of shower gel is lasting and I will certainly contact you if this becomes available to purchase in larger dispensers, although, I understand that we are hoping to retail it on our website and in our spas in early 2013.

Consistency of standards and service is vitally important to a successful hotel and it is extremely encouraging that your meal and overall experience were once again impressive.

Once again, I look forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel in the future.

Mark O’Reilly

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
3 mi away
Eagle House Hotel
#7 of 11 in Hastings
Claverton Country House Hotel
The Mermaid Inn

Been to Bannatyne Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!