“Just what you might hope for in Hastings”
Review of Black Rock House

Black Rock House
Ranked #13 of 47 Hastings B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Black Rock House is a beautiful B&B. Our room was spacious, clean, with many added extras (we stayed in Sea View -- actually had a view of the sea). The breakfast, with many choices, was delicious. The atmosphere was relaxed and serene. Yuliya was gracious and very helpful -- suggested two restaurants -- both were exactly how she described them, and the food was delicious in each. We completely enjoyed our visit to Hastings -- the old town and the walk to Fairlight along the Saxon Shore Way -- a few miles of rolling (lots of steep paths) wooded paths with great views of the channel (and a bus to get back to town).

Room Tip: Sea View was spacious and with a good view. Quiet street.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank davidsos

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Written on behalf of my wife.

Being an avid tripadvisor user, my husband found this hotel for myself and a good friend to spend the weekend together.

My friend and I had advised the Blackrock that we would be arriving at about 21:30 and so they stayed until that time to let us in. We were shown to our room which was lovely and we were happy to the the little touches in place such as fresh milk in the fridge and not packets of long life milk for the tea nd coffee. There was also freshly baked biscottis for us to nibble on.

Breakfast in the morning was amaaaazing. We spent they out in Hastings and arrived to find that the B&B also had a DVD library, so we settled down to watch Pretty Woman,as you do!

All in all a fantastic two night stay and highly recommended.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Black Rock House is a lovely hotel, beautifully furnished, decorated and maintained. We had the room with two bedrooms and it was very quiet and comfortable. The breakfast was superb and one of the best we have had in any hotel. The ambience during the evening in the lounge/sitting room was lovely and was a perfect place for an end of the day cocktail (the hotel offers an honesty bar). The hotel is located a little way of the town up a hill so it is a bit of a walk if you want to get around. I struggled with giving a "Very Good" rating because it really should have been and "Excellent". However, it was a little thing (well maybe not so little) that irritated me and that was the rubber seal on the bottom of the shower screen was green with mould. It is such a simple thing to rectify and I wonder why it had not been noticed before. Other than that, a lovely place and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Fantastic hotel where you are greeted as friends and it was a joy to stay here. The rooms are amazing, serviceis impeccable and fabulous breakfast. I heartily recommend this jewel!!! I have stayed here many times for work and look forward to returning. I agree that its more like a luxury hotel than a b&b.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Yuliya and her team, took over at the Black Rock House B&B two months ago, the previous owners had received rave reviews and I am in no doubt Yuliya will always have them too.
I arrived on Saturday the 28th and stayed for two nights, like everyone else has stated, the owner is welcoming, very friendly and extremely helpful, from the welcoming afternoon tea to checkout, nothing is too much trouble. The property is immaculate, the bed very comfortable, breakfast excellent and you leave feeling totally relaxed.
I was in Hastings for a big birthday party and as I don't know the area very well, Yuliya arranged for a taxi to collect me from the B&B and bring me home. I had forgotten my comb and hairbrush at home, when I got back from the party Yuliya had left a new comb next to my bed.
The service at this establishment really is outstanding, it should be used as the benchmark for for how the hospitality industry should be, but usually isn't. I regularly travel all over the world, how refreshing to find such a gem in the UK. I would certainly go back with my family.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Last weekend we stayed in this excellent B&B for one night with our family of four – two adults and two teenagers. Although it was only possible to book for two days at weekends, they we're very kind to make an exception for us, on our way back to Holland after three weeks of holiday in England and Wales. Because we didn't use a credit card, we didn't have to pay before we arrived. Black Rock House is situated in a very calm street and just a little walk to the centre of Hastings Old Town and the sea. The walk back from the centre is rather steep, so not very wheelchair-friendly. A tidy family room with beautiful bathroom ensuite and two separate chambers with both clean double beds, althought the second was in a small room and the bed was a bit small as well. Warm water enough to shower all the four of us. And that's quite rare. Absolute one of the best traditional breakfasts we've ever had and the pancakes were home made! We give them a sixth star!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JerzyfromHolland
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I have just spent 6 nights in this wonderful B&B and cannot recommend it highly enough. I agree with all the recent reviews. The owner is welcoming, friendly, and helpful. The B&B is comfortable, beautifully decorated and furnished. The breakfasts are superb- they really are special. This is a great base to stay and explore Hastings and the surrounding area. Set above the town in a quiet residential area away from the noise of the seafront (but only a 10 minute walk away), and close to the station.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple