“Doesn't live up to the hype.”
Review of Grubbs Diner

Grubbs Diner
Ranked #752 of 1,168 Restaurants in Brighton
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I pass Grubbs daily and have been wanting to try it for a while. Staff aren't over friendly but not rude either. Lots of choice with unusual combinations not just burgers either, they do a black current milkshake that I've not seen before.

Prices not too bad, £9.95 for 2 fries and 2 cheeseburgers. Venue is clean for a late night burger joint. Sadly, the burgers.... Not that great. In fact was so sloppy the bun was soaking wet and fell about spilling out brown wilted lettuce.

I've had better from no frills portable burger vans. However for a late night snack it's ok.

1  Thank Cheryl045
There are newer reviews for Grubbs Diner

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Grubbs used to be well known for serving juicy burgers after a night out years ago. We went the other night for the first time in 5 years. The chips were half warm/half cold the burger I got was luke warm, rubbery flavourless. I took a bite and couldn't stomach anymore, I told the block behind the counter it was cold and he just put it whole back on the griddle. It was still foul when I got it back so I left the restaurant. Never Again.

3  Thank LoopyLou1885
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This place had great burgers, and a lot of variety. The burgers can be a little bit pricey considering what you're getting, but it's nice to have so much choice.

At the end of the day, they won't change your life, but if you want a burger and you're out late then they're a good choice.
A lot of people really recommended these, so I think in my mind they were built up, but they weren't actually that great in the end.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Grubbs used to be a good place for a tasty burger - now just an overpriced, unhygenic Mcburger joint, with exceptionally rude staff and tasteless food. I had come to the conclusion they were no longer what they used to be but I thought I'd give them one more go.The last time I was in there they messed up my order twice in a row when I simply asked for no mayo, (this is after waiting 15 minutes each time.) After this I just asked for a refund because I couldn't wait around any longer and was told flat out by the guy serving me I was a liar. When I disputed this a very rude girl told me, "Well, I think we know what you ordered!" To which my flabbergasted response was, "Well I think I know what I ordered, because I was there when I ordered it!" Truly unbelievable. They still refused to give me a refund after what became a bit of a shouting match so I just ended up throwing my chips at the guy in disgust and walked out, never to return. I'd not go back if I was dying of starvation - an utter disgrace. Instead try burger brothers. They're better than Grubbs ever was and without doubt the tastiest burgers I've ever eaten. Friendly and clean too. In short everything that grubby Grubbs isn't.

1  Thank Lloyd1981
Reviewed October 13, 2013

As a vegetarian it's often difficult to find a balance of somewhere my friends are happy going and that I can eat too.
However, going here was wonderful - I could have all (bar one) of the burgers as they do the same toppings just with a veggie or beef burger. Wonderful.
The chips were also great, and I can imagine that anybody would like them with their favourite sauce or flavouring (salt etc).
The only thing that disappointed me was that I could taste much if any blue cheese in my blue cheese sauce - otherwise it would have got 5/5.
Cheaper, tastier, more filling and a better atmosphere than meatliquor (which has opened in Brighton just up the road from here, and while I've only beein in the London one I don't expect it's any different).

I wish there was something just like Grubbs in London.