“this is not a four star review hotel”

Marine View Hotel Brighton
Ranked #61 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 6, 2010

if you are looking for very casual laid back hotel/hostel than this is fine.
This is not a fancy hotel - it's very basic - I booked a single room and was not told that I did not have a bathroom in the room - I arrived and was offered another room but for an extra 50 pounds.
The service here was not great - I missed breakfast by 5 minutes (my own fault) and the lady offered me some toast - but that was it really.
I really wouldn't recommend this hotel - it is really more like a hostel and they should price the rooms accordingly

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed June 30, 2010

We booked this hotel on the AA recommendation for 3 nights.
A large double with balcony, turned out to be small double with large bay window with railings, not at all what was advertised on the internet.
When we said that we would not be staying for the remaining 2 nights the owner was very unpleasant and wanted payment for full stay booked.
All I an say is beware, that it's not what you see, and most definately what you would expect from 4 star rating

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2010

We were supposed to be camping on a Saturday night but the campsite was closed so we scrabbled around desperately looking for a B&B for four people – on a Saturday night. Eventually, we found this and booked a room for four, at £35 per person. Not bad. The staff were very friendly, the room was spacious, clean and tastefully decorated.

Excellent location in the heart of Kemp Town.

We were even able to leave our cycles in their secure garden for most of the next day. Recommended.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 6, 2010

We booked this hotel on the same day we were arriving, and at £100 a night we were expecting something quite nice as it was listed as 4 star. We walked in and immediately regretted choosing this hotel. Our room was tiny, unbearably hot, (and the heating wouldn't turn off,) and the smell from the bathroom was awful. We went to brighton marina for the night which was 10 mins in a taxi, so the location was perfect, but I really cant see how they got 4 stars. We woke up at 7am the next morning as the room was so hot, and got up and went and found a cafe for a coffee. I couldn't bear to stay in the room for another minute. We came back to the hotel at 9.55 as breakfast started at 10am, only to be told we were 5 mins early and couldn't even help ourselves to cereal till 10am! On the plus side, when we did get breakfast it was quite nice. Oh nearly forgot, there is nowhere to park! We had to park our car 20mins walk away from the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2009

We really enjoy the hotel, very clean and confortable, perfect for a couple, excellent location. Thank you

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2009

listed building very near everything in Brighton.
Good service and spotless rooms all done out with white linen. Owner welcoming and helpful. Lots of restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 20, 2009

What a great location this hotel is. The rooms are clean, staff friendly and breakfast is smashing. I was suprised to see someone else had said this hotel was not gay friendly as my partner and I had no issues at all. I will be staying her again and will definitely recommend it.

The only downfall I could see was there was no mini bar or vending machines.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple