“Home from home”

Marine View Hotel Brighton
Ranked #58 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Lovely room in a lovely hotel. It's not always easy to find a family room for 5, so it was a lovely surprise to find such a comfortable and spacious room and with a sea-view! We were made to feel very much at home by Richard and his staff, and the cooked breakfast was a good start to each busy day.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Tracey H
There are newer reviews for Marine View Hotel Brighton

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Lovely room in a lovely hotel. Well placed for all that Brighton has to offer.
Very warm welcome from Richard on arrival and staff at breakfast time.
Definitely book here again.
Room very nicely appointed and quiet at night, something that is important to me when staying in a hotel.
Lovely cooked breakfast with plenty of choice.

• Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank Marion S
Reviewed March 6, 2014

my husband and I stayed at marine view early in feb this year we too had a groupon voucher as a Christmas gift.we decided to book an extra night and pay ourselves our host Richard said we it could have a cooked breakfast both days although not included in voucher which was very nice.the morning we came down to breakfast we found water coming through the ceiling and a bit went over me so we told Richard and he put buckets out and called his plumber out not his fault!!I it didn't spoil our breakfast and made a bit of a talking point with other guests!we parked outside hotel had to pay but worth it to park outside great location for everything think antonys comments bit harsh but entitled to his opinion of course! we had very nice stay on the down side to be honest the room was very small no dressing table or shelf to put things on the smallestroom we have ever stayed in!also maybe a bit over priced?! but overall very nice stay

4  Thank jackie j
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Warmly welcolmed by Richard whose knowledge of the area gave us fresh places to visit.
We have stayed at may of the hotels in Brighton and whilst some are better appointed with larger rooms I can honestly say this was the best nights sleep I have had by far in any of them.
will definately stay again.
thanks, William

1  Thank Rowland D
Reviewed February 18, 2014

The location of this guest house is perfect. Right by the seafront and in walking distance to town.

However, please don't be fooled by this!

Rooms:
Very basic. Beds hard and pillows lumpy. We stayed in room 9 at the top of the guest house, and the windows had a gap in them which let the freezing winter air in - the heating also did not come on until about 6pm so you were out of luck for a warm hub in the daytime! Shower was not a power shower in the slightest so if you have long hair, be warned - it will take you a lifetime to wash it!!

The Guest House Itself:
Buckets in the corridors, presumably catching leaks from the ceilings? Carpets worn out and threadbare on the staircase. I cannot comment on the breakfasts unfortunately as we were out of the guest house more than we were in it!!

This is a perfect place if you are looking for a base in the centre of Brighton, however, it is far too over priced!

1  Thank SunshineFlowerYogi
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Our stay was based on a groupon gift for Christmas. When booking, I called and I'm assuming the manager answered and asked me to call back in 15 mins which I did on the dot but he said that I took to long calling back! He said he would call me back which was fine but this took 40 mins for a call back. When booking he said we weren't entitled to a cooked breakfast just a continental breakfast, again that's fine but after reviewing the hotels website, it clearly states a FREE cooked breakfast so this means the breakfast is not in the room price if it is FREE why can't we have it? He said we can but we would have to pay £5 each for the breakfast.
When arriving, first thing we noticed was the location was good. We were greeted by the cleaner in her rubber gloves and didn't speak very good English. We were not shown to our room or around the hotel. We were also told we would be taken to a place to park for cheap. This DID NOT HAPPEN!!
When we walked up the stairs, we saw loads of buckets on the floor in the outdated dinning room. I looked and saw that the ceiling was stained badly and dripping in 6 different places. This looked like it was like this for a long time. Even worse is that the buckets are where guests have breakfast. I have uploaded pictures of this event. The website states that the rooms are stylish and clean, the room is VERY basic which was fine. But their were stains on the bed sheets, the wardrobe was falling apart so we didn't dare touch it. TV was very bent on the wall. The website says the room will have a CD player, alarm clock, and luxurious shower gels. We had no CD Player or Alarm clock in the room and the luxurious shower gels were refilled and nearly empty. Getting out of bed was an issue the wall was sooo close to the bed we would kiss the wall and the window when standing up from the bed. The bathroom was very small, stains and mould was painted over and coming through the paint and cracked walls. I couldn't even get in the tight corner to do a number two so went to the public toilets instead!!!! When some people on are here leaving good feedback, I'm sorry then you have not been here ever and actually you could be the owners in fact using a different log in details all the time!!!! Or asking friends. And I'm sorry, if you read bad reviews why would you chance it? Just look at the pictures on here, they do not lie. This was a gift so we had no choice.
This is meant to be a 4 Star Hotel, from what I have witnessed, this is a HOSTEL with a Star rating of -4!!!! I can 100% say we were not welcomed or looked after at this HOSTEL and advise for people to look else where when travelling to Brighton. I have even contacted AA Hotel to have them re- rate it.

• Stayed: February 2014
8  Thank Anthony R
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We just stayed here for 2 nights & it's was perfect. Warm & welcoming. Very clean throughout & we would highly recommend. We were overlooking the seafront, with parking straight outside & only £10 per day. Will definitely be going back. It's a shame some people have given bad feedback as we could not fault the place one bit!!

• Stayed: January 2014