“A great institution of fresh local food Cooke simply & well”
Review of Bill's

Bill's
Ranked #111 of 1,209 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Bill's Brighton restaurant opened in 2005, following the success of Lewes Bill's. Formerly a bus depot, it has a reputation as the place to go for weekend breakfasts, informal business meetings, and after work drinks and dinner.
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Bill started by selling fresh produce mainly veg from a stall & tiny shop in Lewes.He has apparently steadily developed Bills restaurants and the one we found by chance is a very large one inNorth Road Brighton.We loved the sheer scale and attractive design of the place with its shelves stacked all around you with jars & bottles of Bills wonderful produce .Someone trains staff here exceedingly well and the recommendation of the shared Mezze to start followed by the delicious fish pie and the Halluni Burger was excellent.Wines by the glass were of good quality at £3.95 & £4.20 and a little persuasion got me a copy of Bills recipe book "Cook Eat Smile" for £20. & still our bill came to only £58!
I understand that Bill's reataurants are growing in number I only hope they are all as welcoming warm in their environment and with the high quality food we enjoyed here.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,426)

Reviewed September 22, 2013

You can always tell a good restaurant when people are queuing to get it before it's even opened. And so it was that we had great service, on top of tasty food. The place looks like a converted fire station and has a really good atmosphere. We asked for poached eggs instead of fried and they delivered perfect poached eggs. Everything was fresh and even the coffee was some of the best we have ever had. Great value for money and all the staff including the managers couldn't do enough for you. Well done Bills! We will definitely be coming back for more. They didn't slap on a service charge and it was a pleasure giving them a nice tip.

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I went for lunch with a friend and we were not disappointed! I had the risotto and my friend had the salad which were delicious. And as we had waited 20 minutes (not that long) we got it half price!

Very friendly staff and I couldn't help but admire the beauty of the restaurant for my whole meal, and buy some of their homemade chocolate on the way out. Cannot recommend this place enough!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I hadn't visited Bill's in Brighton for several years as I've been living in Scotland but having recently moved back down to Sussex, I decided to book a table for myself and two visitors from Aberdeen. I described the restaurant to my friends and told them about how on entering the restaurant they would find either side of the entrance, shelves groaning with fresh produce and tempting foodie treats. At the food counter they would see huge and flamboyant gateaux and tarts overflowing with fruits and cream. Alas, there was no fresh produce to be seen and the shelves were so neatly filled with mainly bought in foodstuffs that they reminded me of those false book ends that some people used to have in their library. The food counter was completely bare of all the lovely fruit creations that I remembered.
The fabulous quiches were absent from the menu and so I picked the fish finger sandwich that I recalled had been particularly delicious. The fish finger sandwich had two small fish fingers between two cold pieces of toast with a tiny amount of rocket served with those skinny chips that look as if they'd been bought in frozen. The dessert menu was very ordinary and I ended up with an unmemorable warm chocolate brownie concoction with ice cream, some chocolate sauce and a small chocolate flake. The service was extremely friendly and efficient but I remember Bill's as being a restaurant where the food was exciting and different but also very wholesome and this evening's meal was ok but really nothing special at all.
If this is the result of Bill's Restaurant expansion across the UK, then it is a diminished version that is on offer - what a disappointment.

1  Thank kayformaggio
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We popped along the coast to meet friends who were in Brighton for the weekend. Bill's is a breakfast hotspot but I'd never been as I only live a few miles away. Despite the large open space there was a queue at 9:30am with a mixture of locals and revellers from the night before. We had to stand around for a few minutes but the line is well managed and we didn't feel in danger of missing our spot. There was a decent choice for breakfast with veggie options, interesting smoothies as well as more traditional breakfast classics. The food was very good and well presented. I had a veggie breakfast which I really enjoyed. The staff were friendly and the atmosphere was good. I'd give this 4.5 if I could; it's a strong recommendation.