“great fish and chips”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 2, 2014

nice family run business serving the freshest fish cooked perfectly. mine was fried but poached and grilled was available.also a specials board was available with the likes of turbot on it. Friendly service, great fish and chips

Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Chips over cooked, brown and soggy. Sent back and presented with another plate of the same!
Staff friendly though somewhat disorganised.
As a Brighton resident I came away saddened to experience a once A1 establishment turn sower.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

Bardsley's is a favourite in Brighton with a long heritage. The quality of the ingredients and the skill and dedicate show in the staff. They are friendly, approachable and genuine.

The owner, Roy, tempted me with a Bardsley special, the Herby Battered Sausage. This is divine and I've introduced my friends and co to this pieces of genius. He did warn me they are addictive and now I day dream about them as I wonder down London Road!

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Visiting Brighton for the day yesterday with family we thought it would be nice to have some fish and chips whilst by the seaside. Since moving down south from Yorkshire I've invariably found the fish and chips to be a poor substitute from what we had up north. For this reason I've more often than not just not bothered with them. The reviews of Bardsley's on TA gave us hope that this experience would be better than the average southern offering, so we decide to risk it. So glad we did.

The welcome we received from the lady who served us was genuinely warm and friendly (another ex-pat Yorkshire person). Very easy going but professional and efficient at the same time. We took our time ordering (some of our party were from overseas and didn't know what the various offering on the menu were) whilst the waitress patiently explained what everything was.

We duly ordered our food and whilst waiting for it were pleasantly surprised to be presented with a small plateful of fried Huss. I'd never tried it before and didn't really know what it was so had asked the waitress what sort of fish it was. Unbeknownst to us the owner who must have overheard my question quickly knocked up a few samples of Huss for us to try. I can't think of many places I've been where I've eaten where such thoughtfulness and generosity of spirit have been in evidence. It was delicious by the way, and cooked to perfection.

Anyway, the food we'd ordered was great. We all had something different and all very much enjoyed it. My daughter's cod and chips even came with gluten free batter (an offering from the menu which delighted her) which she thoroughly enjoyed.

Didn't think I'd ever be writing such a rave review of a fish and chip shop, but praise where praise is due. It was great and well worth a visit if you're in the area. Nice people, lovely food!

2  Thank SqueakyKlean
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

A wonderful atmosphere. Unpretentious and simply wonderful. Service is genuinely welcoming and attentive. No regrets, just delighted

1  Thank Doctor_A-J1