“Good but not great ”

Ranked #28 of 1,154 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Now open on the beachfront – Riddle & Finns II is the sister restaurant to the highly acclaimed Riddle & Finns in The Lanes.
England
“Good but not great ”
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

We were unfortunately right at the back of the restaurant on a sweltering night so it was uncomfortably hot. The food was good, but felt expensive for what it was.. 3 tiny scallops for almost 10 pounds. Husbands fish curry was very good. Service was charming and if we had had a table at the front we would have enjoyed the ambiance more. Rather disappointing end to our meal when the manager refused to start a loyalty card for me, he said they couldn't split the stamps (hard to divide 4 by 2?!) and put 2 on our companions card and 2 on ours. First time I have ever encountered that and thought loyalty cards were supposed to encourage repeat visits...? Irritating end to an otherwise good evening.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dismissive and rude manager. ”
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Food was average to good.

Obviously good quality fish. Dover sole was undercooked and sent back for some more time in the oven. The manager then came to our table and said that I had simply seen the bloodline and that extra cooking over a minute would damage the fish. When I said I would want something else if this was how it was to be served then the manager became defensive. This manager is not suited to a customer service role - seemingly thinking that he has the right to be rude and dismissive to anybody who walks through the door. His attitude was patronising and 'superior' from the beginning.

Our actual waiter was superb and seemingly apologetic of his rude manager. The restaurant had some temperature issues but this was on a very hot evening. The waiter explained that air conditioning could not be installed because the building was listed - so maybe go elsewhere on a warm day.

In conclusion I would say that the restaurant manager needs to not take requests so personally - if he likes his fish that way that's fine but as a manager he should accept that others may want something different. His swagger and patronising tone was off putting and risked masking the actually good quality work of the chefs and wait staff.

Finally the music - seemingly consisting of Blur and commercial trance - was completely inappropriate.

1 Thank brighton3387767
Celtishire
“Thank you for looking after a singleton.....”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

A night alone without my VERY shellfish intolerant partner, a place I passed while in her company on several occasions but where I could not safely eat..... So why not tonight?

6 Irish oysters with a glass of Pol Roget while foil - what could go wrong? Well, a lot but it did not. The service was quick but not oppressive, attentive but not claustrophobic, the oysters a salty swallow of the sea. Lovely.

For my main, sea bass with gnocchi and broccoli was well cooked and textured but with too much salt for my taste. The half bottle of Domines des Malandes (over chilled but that is easily fixed) was a perfect foil for the bass. Coffee and water arrived as requested, promptly but not hastily.

Well done everyone, I really enjoyed this meal on numerous levels. Good ingredients treated with respect (but stay the hand with the salt please), an interesting wine list, a single diner not treated as a waste of a table (you will share a table but it's an opportunity not a a threat) and a good 'buzz'. Expensive overall but worth it.

2 Thank A_Celt_Abroad
UK
“High quality food and great service by the beach”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We loved this place so much that we came twice on 2 consecutive evenings! Food was delicious. Mum had the fish pie twice,I had oysters as a starter which were great quality. The sea bass as a main course was delicious and the fish and chips were good too. The view over the beach each evening as the sun was going down is very special for those of us who don't live by the sea! Not cheap but really good quality and the service was great and friendly. I will definitely be back if I visit Brighton. Highly recommended.

• Visited July 2014
“Food ok but shockingly bad service and handling of slow waitress”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Waitress seemed incapable of handling more than two tables, ignored us most of the time. Food was slow to arrive. Complained to the manager and the waitress had the nerve to come over and reprimand us for complaining. Management did not handle it well either. There are plenty of other restaurants there offering fresh fish without having to be treated with such rudeness by it's staff.