“Second visit, already planning my third..”

Riddle and Finns The Beach
Ranked #30 of 1,163 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Now open on the beachfront – Riddle & Finns II is the sister restaurant to the highly acclaimed Riddle & Finns in The Lanes.
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I had passed the Riddle in the Lanes on a number of occasions on my way to work and always felt drawn to go in.. even in the day the many candles that are lit give it a sexy appearance but not intimidating, the kitchen is visible from the street and with a fresh display of fish in the window it was too enticing for me to resist. So the first visit immediately sat with a warm welcome, they do not have a booking option so you don't hang around, if there's a seat your in. It was lunch time and I ordered the £12.50 two course set lunch.. langoustine, mango and citrus dressing salad followed by pan fried cod, with dauphinoise potatoes, plump cherry tomatoes and salsa verde. Yum! All the ingredients where perfectly cooked and perfectly fresh.. As I was leaving a saw a bowl of steaming linquini being served.. so yesterday I popped in for an early dinner, crab (both white and brown meat) and chilli linguini, clearly the linguini is made in house with a generous amount of crab meat with a kick of chilli that gave the dish the right amount of heat, I treated my self to a glass of Torrontes. Again, left feeling really satisfied with the whole experience. Looking forward to my next visit, I'm going to book a table on the beach front Riddles so I can bring the folks for their Christmas gift, also my boyfriend who's not the biggest seafood fan. I already know what I'm going to be ordering.. Malaysian style whole wok fried crab.. I will report back!

There are newer reviews for Riddle and Finns The Beach

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Lunch time treat. Free seating so arrive early for best seats. Informal, friendly, efficient service. Very good menu, great flavours, with half of Chablis to complement. Must return.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We came here for our first night in Brighton and we were so glad we came here.
The menu was a really good selection and just what we was after!!!
We loved all the food we ordered , couldn't fault any of it.
The only thing is the chairs are a little uncomfortable but it's not a big deal it was worth it.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I reserved a table at Riddle and Finns for my 40th birthday celebrating with 12 friends. On arrival to the restaurant we were shown to a private dinning area, this was beautiful and an unexpected bonus for our party. The staff went out of their way to meet our needs even retreving an extra seat from their sister restaurant in the lanes for us! I was treated to a complementary glass of champagne which was lovely. Our meals were heavenly and I couldn't resist trying some of my friends dinners too. I had the scallops which were cooked to perfection followed bt the crab linguine which was beautifuly flavoured with chili again perfect balance of flavours I also tried the calamari and the squid starters and the Malaysian crab main as I have said everything was wonderful but the squid starter (beautifully tender) and the Malaysian crab (wonderful delicate flavours) were outstanding and I would absolutely recommend these dishes.
Great wine list, wonderful service and excellent food Thank you for Riddle and Finns for a great evening, I can't wait to return.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I can't actually say what the restaurant is like as I didn't get that far!
I phoned up to make a reservation at the beach restaurant. When I enquired if I could reserve a particular table, the staff member (who turned out to be the manager) became quite unpleasant. She was quite patronising and a little bit aggressive.
I took exception to this and asked if I could speak to the owner. I was given an email address, which in wrote to, but have had no reply.
It's a shame, as I've heard the food is rather good.
However, I think such an attitude is unforgivable and I won't be calling again.

2  Thank pete835
Anthony G, General Manager at Riddle and Finns The Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Firstly can I apologise for the tardy response from us; my director has injured his back and has thus been out of the office all week.

We are very sorry that you feel you were dealt with in an unpleasant and patronising manner; obviously we are disappointed when anybody feels that their experience with us, whether at one of our sites or over the phone, has not the met the high standards that we are known for and that we expect to deliver.

Your experience clearly was unacceptable and for this I am very sorry. We aim to please all of our clients all of the time, from their first encounter with us over the phone to their final moments in our restaurant. In order to help us achieve this we have booking guidelines and policies that attempt to ensure that everyone is treated in the same way, part of which means that we do not allow particular tables to be reserved by any individual – some table are very sought after and we find the most democratic way of seating these is on a first come, first served basis. We understand that this may appear frustrating, but we believe that this is truly the fairest method.

I have spoken with the individual concerned and she is sorry that you felt so badly managed with at the time, though she remains to have my complete faith in her abilities to continue her good work and will learn what lessons she can from this experience.

If you come to either of our sites and introduce yourself to me I will happily buy you and your wife a glass of fizz by way of an apology.

Best regards