“Mediocre”

Add it.
Buffet Island
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Now called Full House not Buffet Island.
I'd previously visited about 18 months ago when it was Buffet Island and had a nice visit so decided to visit again as Days were closed for refurbishment.

The format has changed to a menu buffet style and not a help yourself style buffet. Pay attention to the menu if you are ordering on the menu buffet night as there are strict rules on the front page, for instance you can order as much starter as you want but once you have a main you can't return to starters, you can't have your main unless you eat all your starters (which is fair enough if I were 7 years old and eating at my grandma's) and you may incurr a charge if you waste food.

The starters we had were super tasty, though a little oily but that's how I like my greasy Chinese food. Recommend the seaweed and prawn toast.
For main I had pork fried rice but were so full from gorging on starters I didn't fancy much else. Got an odd look from the waiter for ordering just a rice dish though.

For a Saturday night the place was packed to the rafters with Chinese students, so must be a sign the food is at least authentic. Cost us £38 for two people with a large coke each, so I would say middle market for expense.

Staff are nice, friendly and welcoming but we were sat in the condensation window with a mouldy ceiling above us which really was off putting.
Overall maybe two and a half stars.

1  Thank Rhian L
There are newer reviews for Buffet Island

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Not impressed. We popped in at 12.45pm for Saturday buffet but many of the dishes on the hotplate had ran out of food. Twice we asked for items to be cooked and the containers re-stocked. Tasteless. Unfresh. Some dishes were only luke warm. Drinking water was poured from a plastic kitchen jug, no ice or lemon.
Pop in to the gents toilet and see the leaking urinal, dirty toilet, filthy loo brush holder and broken soap dispenser. Yuk! Yuk! Yuk! Have any of the staff attended basic food hygiene training.
The only good points were that it was cheap and that none of us were ill. Thank God!

2  Thank Mikedixon1
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

I witnessed with amazement a chef cooking with a cigarette in his mouth. The food is not that fresh, cheap and very salty.

Staff not courteous just in it to grab your cash.

Seems to be popular with Asian students...

3  Thank Jimcee11
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed June 12, 2008

excellent family reataurant, attentive service, good choice of dishes

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook