“A hidden gem with tasty food”
Review of Mascara

Mascara
Ranked #86 of 1,189 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Love this place. I always come here for dinner when in Hove and am never disappointed. Delicious tagines and other Moroccan/Algerian specialities. My favorite is the sea bass tagine, but everything I have tried here is very good. There is a fun Aladdin's cave atmosphere inside the restaurant, with hanging carpets and brass fixtures. Haroun is a gracious host and gives excellent service

1  Thank travelfanla

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Had a lovely meal here last summer with the boyfriend and a friend.

Food was amazing, really great.

The entertainment I was not keen on - non-authentic belly dancer. Being an ex dancer myself I could appreciate the dance element but when I come out for dinner I want to enjoy my dinner, not feel I have to watch whilst my food got cold!

I would go back, but not when there is dancing on!

1  Thank newtotravelnorfolk
Reviewed June 30, 2014

went for birthday diner in january ! had great food , lots of fun with staff . definitely will be back !

1  Thank Edvin N
Reviewed June 29, 2014

First visit here - warm welcome and as soon as you are inside you feel transported to far away shores.
Great service with clear passion about the food they serve and therefore delighted to talk about the dishes and advise. Liked his honesty in terms of telling us which dishes were the most popular etc.
Nice hummus and flatbread brought to the table whist we were mulling over our choices.
We shared Merguez maqli:: spicy sausages with harissa lentils celery,carrot and ras el hanout to start with - really tasty.
For main we opted to share the specialist dish of Mechoui: Marinated Lamb shoulder with cumin & ras el hanout, 8 hours slow cooked served with potatoes, seasonal vegetables and side couscous. Wow! It was impressive. The most tender melt in the mouth lamb and simply loads of it. I have a large appetite and yet, despite best efforts, this beat my friend and I, just! I left simply stuffed as the flavour was too good to leave, but I knew my limit!
Hadn't realised it was BYO until we were there, but the very quaffable house red wine went well with our food and was very reasonably priced.
Will definitely return - a really enjoyable experience.

1  Thank RuralGilly
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We want to thank you beautiful people at Mascara for the most wonderful evening, as you welcomed us all, 40 people from Iceland, for our annual feast meal. Everything was perfect, such warm friendly service, delicious food, and most exotic and sensual bellydancer... We couldn't stay still, the fun you created for us! We really loved every moment. - THANK YOU!

- Siggi Valur and Rosa.