“Excellent Authentic Morrocan Food”
Review of Mascara

Mascara
Ranked #86 of 1,189 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My partner and I ate here last night and had a lovely meal. The restaurant is well set out with low tables, chairs and a relaxing bench/sofa along the walls with large drapes on the ceiling. This creates a lovely atmosphere.

Bread and olives followed by lovely starters and then both of us varieties of lamb shanks which were fantastic. Neither of us room for puddings so can't comment on those but they looked good.

Entertainment was in the form of a belly dancer who did two dances while we were there.

Only reason I've not given it 5 stars is that it was pretty cold in the restaurant when we sat down. It did warm up a bit but was never toasty. Take a jumper or go when (if) the weather warms up and not a proble.

1  Thank Robert W

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We went to Mascara on Saturday night with some friends of ours and I ended up having one of the best meals of my life!

I started with a Moroccan sausage dish with beans which was packed with flavour and this was washed down with a great bottle of Moroccan beer. For the main course all 4 of us decided to order the 8 Hour slow cooked lamb shoulder to share with each other, and when this arrived in traditional tagines the billow of steam that came up when the lids were taken off was amazing! The flavour that was packed into the lamb was nothing short of incredible with cumin & ras el hanout and there were caremelised pieces of lamb from the slow cooking. This meal was served with seasonal vegetables and cous cous.

We had a great bottle of red wine with the meal which complimented the lamb perfectly, and were all pretty full by the end!! Price wise we found it very good value, with the bill working out at £35 each and this was for 2 bottles of wine, 2 beers, 4 starters and 2 shoulders of lamb!

To top it all off, we were treated to a beautiful belly dancer and this just added to the traditional decor and atmosphere of this fantastic restaurant. We will definitely be going back again, and thanks to all the staff for a fantastic night!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Came here for an evening out with my husband and we thoroughly enjoyed the slow cooked lamb dish that we shared. Good service and a cozy atmosphere made for a nice date night.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

My wife and I are regulars at Mascara and I must say that it is one of my favorite restaurants.
Although I usually dislike place trying to be overly authentic while they have nothing to do with the culture they represent, I must say Mascara is nothing like this as it is rather elegant and does not feel like a tacky attraction for traveler wannabes.

The atmosphere is great and so is service. Not overly polite and fake but genuinely interested. Makes you feel more like a guest than a client.

Food is the real deal. It does not pretend to be from Africa, it actually is. Not only it is authentic but very tasty and cooked to the highest standard.

My favorite is a leg of lamb with prunes and cous cous.

Almost forgot! You can bring your own wine, which makes this place an obvious choice for a night out.

1  Thank Doggito
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My sister booked a table for our large party during my hen weekend. It's not your typical Brighton hen venue, for which we were very grateful; the owners made us all feel incredibly welcome, with delightfully friendly, attentive service. The atmosphere of Mascara is wonderful, with the lighting and furniture making it feel like a very special experience, and the food was superb. The belly dancer was great fun, and the owner got us up dancing between courses, and danced herself, which was very entertaining. At the end of the evening we were all kissed and sent off like friends; the hosting from the owners seemed effortless and meant we had a brilliant time.