“Food not great”

Ranked #167 of 1,189 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Harry Ramsden's serve the same great quality fish and chips today that they have been since 1928. The brand was established 80 years ago, when Harry Ramsden opened his first takeaway store in a hut in Guiseley. His top quality fish and chips brought people from near and far and it wasn't long before Harry's became the most famous fish and chip shop brand in the world. The fish is freshly prepared in Harry's kitchens daily and has that distinctive flavour revered the world over. The menu includes the world famous battered fish with its closely guarded secret recipe, as well as an extensive choice of mouth-watering options and a fantastic children's menu, to satify all the family. We also serve a great grilled fish platter to share. Harry Ramsden's Brighton is opposite the pier and open every day except Christmas Day.
Reviewed December 31, 2013

The food is not great in this restaurant, it took about five minutes to come out and my chicken burger was luke warm so I'm guessing they didn't microwave it long enough. My partner had cod which was a tiny portion of fish, I also had onion rings which were very greasy and cold.

Mike S, Owner at Harry Ramsden Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your meal with us. We do not microwave our chicken burgers, they are actually chargrilled to order which should mean that they are delivered to our customers in tip top condition and hot so I am very sorry to read that you had a problem on this occasion. We have just launched a new menu and the feedback so far has been very good. I do hope this won't deter you from coming back and trying us again and giving us an opportunity to demonstrate that we can get things right.

Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Spent the day on pier and was really looking forward to Dinner here . . . . Unfortunately we were really disappointed! The "large" Cod was far from large, the Salmon and Chilli fish cake was very bland and the chips were cold! When this was brought to the attention of the waitress her response was "what would you like me to do about it" We spoke to the manager and he thanked us for the feedback and took some money off the bill . . . . Left hungry and disappointed :-(

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I love the haddock from here as a takeaway and would probably visit more often if it was closer to my house. The only chippy I've found in Brighton as good as Harry Ramsden's, is Bankers. If you're near the pier, it's the best take away fish available in the area.

However, we had a bad experience in the restaurant a year or so ago where the halibut one of our party ordered wasn't so much cooked as obliterated. The wait staff and manager's attitude wasn't particularly good - more along the lines of "well, do you want something else then?", making my wife feel as though the situation was her fault rather than the restaurant's. To their credit, they did give her something else and didn't charge for the original, ruined meal, but it put us off from going back to the restaurant again.

Mike S, Owner at Harry Ramsden Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Thanks for the review and the Haddock praise. Really sorry you previous visit was not 100 percent we do now have a great new menu which is going down well with our customers , Maybe its time to give us another chance to impress.
Best regards
Mike S. Owner

Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

As my title would describe I think this is the place to come for fish and chips in Brighton. They seem to of had a rethink across the brand and refocused on what they do best.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Me and my mum paid a visit recently and were very disappointed the food was very average
and was nothing special, you can get much better in the laines. The staff were pretty indifferent and most only spoke a small amount of English so not very traditional.We will not be going back.