“Such a welcoming place”

Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Brighton, England
“Such a welcoming place”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I've been to Al Rouche many times over the years. I am half-Lebanese and this restaurant is the closest thing to 'native' Lebanese food that I've ever tasted. They even serve Almaza Lebanese beer (which I highly recommend!). I went to Al Rouche today to celebrate my dad's birthday. He's the full-fledged Lebanese and so the fact that he chose to eat there speaks volumes!

I went for the set menu. There's a wide range of choices on the normal menu, but at £10,95, the set menu is such ridiculously good value that it's difficult to pass it over! You get a plate of mixed hot and cold mezze to share, including baba ghanoush (smoky aubergine dip), hummus (chickpea dip), tabbouleh (bulgur wheat with parsley and tomato), kibbeh (spiced minced lamb in a baked bulgur wheat shell), sambouska (pitta bread filled with melted cheese) , arayess (pitta filled with minced lamb and parsley) and fatayer (a pastry filled with cheese and spinach, like a mini Arabic veggie Cornish pasty!). The main is a skewer each of kofte (minced lamb), lamb shish and shish tawouk (cubes of chicken breast in an amazing marinade that I've spent years trying to emulate without success!) This is served on a bed of rice with salad (which I usually leave - not a salad fan). Then, to finish off, you can either have mint tea or Arabic coffee. The mint tea comes in a mini kettle and is a light tea with fresh mint leaves in, which is lovely. The Arabic coffee is served in tiny cups, like giant thimbles. It's an acquired taste, really thick and strong with a hint of cardamom. It usually needs a ton of sugar in it to make it drinkable. Not a fan, which is why I opted for the mint tea!

If you've never had Lebanese food before, then be reassured that it's not hot and spicy or anything like that, which many people seem to think. It's spiced in a light and fragrant way, using lots of fresh herbs and is one of the best cuisines in the world in my humble (and slightly patriotically biased!) opinion.

Anyway, the restaurant itself is run by a Lebanese guy called Danny who manages to make it feel like you're in his house and not a restaurant. I always get a warm welcome when I visit Al Rouche and have gone back time and time again. Highly recommended!

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank twistedg

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Spectacular”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

The freshness of ingredients really stands out on the mouth watering Mezze. We had the £10.95 set menu with 3 meat skewers of Chicken, Lamb and Kofte. Very friendly staff. Will definitely go back soon.

• Visited April 2013
UK
“Tasty food, very good service, great value”
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Good mezze and great coffee- very good service. We enjoyed a very good value family meal. The look and feel would be much improved by swapping the paper table cloths and napkins for cotton ones.

• Visited April 2013
Bromley, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, wonderful value”
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Fabulous restaurant. 3rd time I've been here and not yet been disappointed with the quality of food. Equally, I'm always astonished at what good value it is. Just a shame it's not busier, because it falls down on 'atmosphere'. However if you come don't be put off if it's empty as the food and service is unfailingly good.

“Fantastic - best meal we have had in ages”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My family and I recently spent the weekend in Brighton and chose to eat here by chance. We all agreed the meal and evening was flawless. I am a chef and we all enjoy eating out a lot . My partner is a vegetarian and he gave the evening 10 out of 10. The food was incredibly fresh and full of flavours , interesting and delicious. The service was excellent and the atmosphere relaxed- we felt thoroughly attended to yet not fussed over. The bill was incredibly reasonable - we'd all go again in a flash