“Lovely little secret.”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Lovely little secret.”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Pompoko is great if you're looking for a mid-shop lunch or hangover splurge that doesn't cost too much. The food is hearty, there's lots of it and it is served piping hot, quickly.

The layout of the place is a little cramped and you have to be prepared to overhear other people's conversations and to talk loudly to be heard, but for what you pay for the food that's something you can deal with. At £4.50 for a main course, who's arguing?!

I recommend the oyako don, chicken with soya poached egg. It's beautiful. Get a side of tempura prawns; they're better than most high-priced places.

• Visited January 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brighton
“Value and convenience is on the menu”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Location, price, speed and authenticity go on Pompoko's favour. Very busy at peak times, but that's sort of the point.

Try the mabo tofu don (beef and spicy tofu with rice) when it's on the specials. Otherwise the breaded chicken curry and gyoza dumplings is a winning combination.

Visited January 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Exquisite japanese dining experience”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I always wanted to go to Pompoko and yesterday I had finally the chance. I knew that the restaurant is rated as one of the best in Brighton. Therefore my expectations were already high. It was definitely an excellent dining experience and I can only agree to this reviews. In one word I would describe Pompoko - HEAVEN. Japanese high-class food.
Me and my boyfriend ordered a starter and a main meal each. We paid not even 15 pounds which is extremely cheap. It took the staff less than 10 minutes to serve us. The quality of the food was excellent. In fact this was the best food I had in a long time. I did not want to stop eating. The flavours were really interesting and all meals have been extremely tasty. Some people criticized the atmosphere of the restaurant. However, in my opinion it is not only an authentic place but also very cosy. There are not a lot of table. So everyone should be either willing to wait a little bit or use the take away service and enjoy the meal at home.
This will be not the last time I have been to Pompoko. There are a lot more dishes I want to try. Pompoko is a fantastic place and I recommend everyone to try.

• Visited January 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Cheap, tasty, interesting”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

For a cheap informal yet tasty and interesting lunch, you really can't beat Pompoko. For less than a tenner, you can eat very well and the staff are always very friendly. Pompoko manages to retain its Japanese character and I always enjoy coming here.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank andrew_2587
Minety
“Brilliant value hot Japanese food.”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I was training in Brighton at the start of this week and had this place recommended to me by the training staff and a friendly local shop keeper. They weren't wrong. The place was rammed with hungry customers when we got there during lunch hour but they seemed to cope amazingly well with the sheer volume of food that was prepared. All of it was served up in double quick time and tasted fantastic. It was a real gem of a place. Small and unassuming from the outside and pretty cramped inside. The service was spartan but fast and efficient. Considering how busy they were I didn't knock them for being so direct. I had the pork kimchi don for £4.60 and received a steaming hot bowl of tasty rice, meat and veg washed down with hot green tea (90p). Brilliant value and very welcome on a cold winters day. Outside seating was available but consisted of plastic seats in the open in front of the restaurant window. It was too cold for that, so we waited a minute or two for indoor seating in the cosy upstairs dining area. I'd definitely come back here again if I come back to Brighton any time soon.

• Visited December 2012