“One of the best meals I've ever had.”
Review of Terre a Terre

Terre a Terre
Ranked #26 of 1,186 Restaurants in Brighton
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Description: Brighton's critically acclaimed Terre a Terre is a vegetarian restaurant that will have even the most ardent carnivore waxing lyrical. Situated close to the sea-front. The decor is chic and stylish, using wooden floors and furniture to contrast with vibrant colours. But here the food is the centrepiece: dhal basmati buns with coconut curry leaf chatni, better Batter and Lemony Yemeni Relish and Thai aubergine jungle curry are just a few of the exotic and imaginative dishes you can find here. To complement the food, a large selection of organic beers, ciders and wines are available. A three course meal here costs an average of £30 per person. A refreshing take on vegetarian cuisine.
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I ordered the middle tweets and enjoyed every bite. I wouldn't normally describe a meal in flowery language, but this really was a symphony of flavors. Really something else!
I had the rhubarb parkin for dessert, which while very delicious was not the same high standard as the main course.
Note that main courses are a good size, but not a full meal in themselves, so budget to include 2 or 3 courses.

Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

This is a great restaurant right in the centre of Brighton. The service was great and the menu was fantastic, I'm vegetarian but was off dairy at the time and I've never eaten so well! If you want to go, make sure you book in advance as I've since tried to go back without booking and it's always full.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I've had the new afternoon tea at Terre a Terre 4 or 5 times now - we regularly take friends as it's such an amazing experience. The tiered plate racks never fail to illicit squeals of delight, not just from the table that ordered them, but those around as well. The range, quality and amount of food is awe inspiring.

The service is always a pleasure...with staff seemingly as excited as patrons about the afternoon tea experience.

If there is one small 'but' it's about the lack of consistency. For example, on previous visits the scone layer has had a pot of clotted cream and jam for each diner. This time there was one to share between two, and it wasn't sufficient for the four scones. Similarly, last week the vegan tea featured 2 slices of malt loaf, but this week it was just one. Other elements seem to grow or shrink too...maybe this is just because of availability, or different chefs at work. A small gripe...

Anyway, go, you won't regret it. Just don't eat lunch beforehand. And you certainly won't need dinner afterwards!

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Oh dear, I really wanted to love this restaurant & say fabulous things... I've been vegetarian for all but the first 6 yrs of my life & so I feel like I'm letting the team down.
We booked Terre a Terre as my non vegetarian partner had heard good things about this place.
As soon as we were shown to our table & looked at the menu I knew it was a mistake. The menu & the description of each of the dishes was very pretentious. Velouté, froths & foams, with very wordy descriptions of each dish. Hard to fathom what you were actually ordering...
We played safe & ordered the garlic bread & flatbreads with an aubergine dip to start. This was nice. Very greasy though. Wine by the glass or the carafe...
Mains - Tips & Tatties (rosti served with asparagus & pea volute).. And Better batter & lemony Yemeni relish (deep fried halloumi with pea shoots & beetroot & a lemony sauce & some chubby chips). Sounded great but really rather average. And all very ostentatious.
I just wanted a good quality vegetarian meal - which you can get in most restaurants in Brighton.
Terre a Terre is a good example of why I steer well clear of totally vegetarian restaurants. Pretentious, & overrated.
Underwhelmed.
Sorry Team Vegetarian.

2  Thank bl0ndie72
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My daughter booked Afternoon Tea at this restaurant as part of my birthday celebrations and I was so looking forward to it never before having had a vegetarian Afternoon Tea and the menu looked very different to the usual sandwiches. We were shown to our table and were given the food menu. My daughter explained that she had booked for Afternoon Tea so were then brought different menu sheets. We explained that we would like the Terre a Tipple Tea for £25 per person so the waiter asked what "Tipple" we would like and we opted for the Prosecco rather than the tea-based cocktail. My daughter then asked if we could see the choice of teas on offer and were told that the prosecco was instead of tea. We did find this difficult to comprehend as surely for an extra £6.05 the prosecco must be an addition rather than an alternative. However, he was adamant that this was the case but my daughter insisted he double check and in fact he came back saying that, yes, we were still entitled to tea as well. We were then given the tea menu and gave him our choices. Well, the food then arrived which I have to say was truly amazing and so tasty and delicious. However, I had chosen the Ceylon tea, not realising that it was going to taste very very smoky and just not to my liking. After less than a cupful I called the waiter over to ask if I could choose a different tea so I gave him my choice and he duly came back with a new pot and curtly requested that next time would I let them know immediately if my first choice was not to my liking and not leave it until I had drunk a full cup! I have to say that my daughter and I have had many afternoon teas together at many different venues and have always been offered the option of trying more than one variety, even changing to coffee if desired so I did find this very offputting. Just to make matters worse when I tried my second pot of tea it was another pot of Ceylon tea so again I had to call over the waiter to change to a different variety.
I would say that I really could not fault the food which was so different and although no sandwiches had beautiful potato rosemary thyme and red onion bread topped with a punchy rocket pesto and marinated feta crumble heaped with garlic zest gremolata.
Steamed rice bun stuffed with Szechuan marinated halloumi, with kimchi Chinese cabbage, lapsang souchong pickled watermelon & cucumber, a miso chilli sauce and spring onion garnish.
Savoury lemon thyme bread and butter pudding granary seed goats cheese topped with caramelised onion puree and mixed pickles and the variety of cakes and warm scones on the top tier were wonderful.
I just feel that the staff should be given a bit more tuition on the food and waiting etiquette.

2  Thank Cas123England