“Best Veggie Restaurant in the world!”
Review of Terre a Terre

Terre a Terre
Ranked #26 of 1,133 Restaurants in Brighton
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Description: Brighton's critically acclaimed Terre a Terre is a vegetarian restaurant that will have even the most ardent carnivore waxing lyrical. Situated close to the sea-front. The decor is chic and stylish, using wooden floors and furniture to contrast with vibrant colours. But here the food is the centrepiece: dhal basmati buns with coconut curry leaf chatni, better Batter and Lemony Yemeni Relish and Thai aubergine jungle curry are just a few of the exotic and imaginative dishes you can find here. To complement the food, a large selection of organic beers, ciders and wines are available. A three course meal here costs an average of £30 per person. A refreshing take on vegetarian cuisine.
London, United Kingdom
“Best Veggie Restaurant in the world!”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I have two words..

BETTER BATTER

Now on your way, go on go! You'll thank me, seriously, you will.

If I was a prisoner on death row, this would be my last meal without any shadow of a doubt!

Visited February 2014
TerreaTerre, Public Relations Manager at Terre a Terre, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thank you for your kind words about us and our food, lovely to hear that the Better Batter dish has such a devoted following. We look forward to seeing you again very soon. Terre a Terre Team x

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Ripped-off and hungry!”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

It began well with warm rich décor as we entered from the street but the ambiance diminished with every step to our table at the rear of the restaurant where the lighting is harsh, the ‘warmth’ becomes insufferable heat and the acoustics are deafening with all the bare wooden tables, chairs and flooring.

I would describe the experience as equal to sitting in a busy, noisy high street coffee shop (including the paper serviettes – yes I do know the difference between a serviette and a napkin, and at these prices I would have expected the latter and in linen) although the mood was lifted by the lovely guy who served us (Dirk?) and who suggested some equally lovely and perfectly chilled (if a little expensive) English wine.

Unfortunately, it was all downhill from here and our party of 5 agreed that this was the worst restaurant (or pub!) food that any of us had ever encountered - yet definitely the most expensive. A cross between the mad, multi-sensory cooking style of Heston Blumenthal with the mis-conceived, naively over seasoned, offerings of your 11-year old’s first home economics class (although, actually, I think her first crème brûlée was better and, thankfully, without the erroneous addition of cheese and onions). There is a reason why cheese sauce begins with a flour-based béchamel and not an egg custard – texture! (and I am too much of a lady to tell you what the texture of Terre a Terre’s ‘Brûlée Vous’ reminded me of!).

With the exception of the deep-fried mini corn cakes and the cauliflower and ginger bhaji (these two disappointingly similar in both texture and taste) every other dish throughout our three courses offered a mis-match of incompatible flavours that jarred with one another and which all presented a variety of unpalatable textures – one of the worst being the ‘cake crumbs’ in the so-called ‘Rarebit’ which was like eating gritty, regurgitated, anise-flavoured cheese sauce. Perhaps we should have been thankful that the portion was so pitifully small in its tiny whimsical flowerpot as it was revolting.

Fans of Terre à Terre might argue that we made the wrong choices – but the overly wordy descriptions (43 words to be exact, to describe something that took only 10 seconds to eat) are baffling to even the likes of a fifty-something foodie with a catering background like me.

My Arame Wakame vegetable thread salad was soaked in sesame oil – about as appetising as the contents of a blocked drain - and I abandoned it after one cloying, room temperature mouthful. It might have been more palatable if it had been chilled and freshly dressed. This sat next to an equally unappealing and unrecognisable mush, which was neither the colour nor the taste of the aubergine I knew it to be (and which I usually relish) but resembled the taste of a pureed fruit pudding owing to the bizarre addition of sugar?!?!?!?

In fact, sugar and salt were the overriding flavours throughout all three courses. Even the ice cream was too sweet – instead of being a creamy contrast to the pudding’s main event, everything on the plate was overbearingly sweet. In over-engineering every single element on the plate, all they’ve done is create another version of boring – just much sweeter.

Our disappointment (and in some mouthfuls, I have to say ‘revulsion’) with the food, was made worse when we considered what we were paying for this veggie experience.

With 5 slices of very ordinary bread and 1 portion of olives priced at over £9.00 and starters at just under £9.00, Terre à Terre’s pricing is 30% to 45% higher than the true artisan bread (e.g. Flint Owl) with dipping oils and starters served in comparable restaurants in and around Brighton – many of which include far more expensive non-vegetarian ingredients versus (even organic) vegetables at what…. £1.00 a kilo?

At £15.00 for a stingy main course, you can’t help feeling ripped off at Terre à Terre when, for the same price, other non-vegetarian restaurants are offering far more generously proportioned main dishes of free-range organic Sussex reared meat which is at least ten times the price of Terre à Terre’s raw vegetable ingredients.

Numerous other restaurants and gastro-pubs in and around Brighton – whilst not billed as such - offer vegetarian and vegan dishes that put Terre à Terre to shame.

I am fully prepared to part with my hard-earned cash to experience something innovative that pushes the boundaries but I have rustled up a vegetarian feast in minutes that betters Terre à Terra’s menu and when I want a break from the kitchen, I don’t expect to spend over £40.00 a head (excluding any drinks) for dinner and watch my hungry family raid the fridge within minutes of our return.

I have only two words to say to you, Terre à Terra ….

“Yotam Ottolenghi”

• Visited February 2014
7 Thank FoodieFemme60
Sorry to hear you were disappointed when you last visited. We try our best to give customers lots of choice and apply as much creativity as we can to all our dishes. We have a wonderful and enthusiastic team that deliver the best service. We aim to please all but on this occasion clearly did not and apologise for this but accept that we all have differing tastes. We hope you can return sometime and enjoy the true Terre a Terre experience. We do offer 3 courses for £26 perhaps consider ordering this next time.
Terre a Terre Team x
surrey
“Simply brilliant ”
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

I'm struggling to come up with the words to describe how amazing this place is.

We had the set winter menu and was left wowed by the flavour combinations and unusual ingredients we hadn't tried before.

So so so SO good! And we had a really lovely friendly and knowledgable waiter - Barry.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am so glad you enjoyed, thank you for the kind words about us and our food. We have a talented enthusiastic team that deliver wonderful creative food and the best service - I will make sure to pass all the compliments on to them especially Barry. We look forward to seeing you again very soon. Terre a Terre Team x
UK
“Still the best”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We manage a trip to Brighton about once a year - and one of the main reasons is a chance to eat at Terre a Terre. This time we were celebrating my husband's birthday, and we were very happy to have the Winter set three course lunch at £26. It was probably too much food, but it was all so delicious that we couldn't resist. Brûlée Vous (Grana Padano brûlée served with bay cream and gingerbread crumbs,pickled Jerusalem artichokes, grilled shallots with Poire William and raisin relish and buttered baby English muffins) was simply the most exquisite starter I've every had in my life! We also had a couple of cocktails - pricey but delicious.

Terre a Terre often features in national 'best restaurant' lists - and deservedly so, long may it continue. We'll certainly be back.

• Visited February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am so glad you enjoyed, thank you for your repeat custom. We have a wonderful and enthusiastic team that deliver wonderful creative food and the best service - I will make sure to pass all the compliments on to them. Look forward to seeing you again very soon. Terre a Terre Team x
Great Wyrley, England, United Kingdom
“great selection of veggie food but overpriced.”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

There is a set menu £27 for 3 courses but really a little overpriced when there are so many In Brighton veg restaurants are everywhere! The food was good especially the chestnut soup and the desserts were excellent I liked Miss Marble but the ginger parkin was also praised. but it was expensive so check out the menu and the other restaurants before committing as others were equally as good but a lot cheaper

Visited February 2014