“Glad to see them open again !”
Review of Terre a Terre

Terre a Terre
Ranked #23 of 1,189 Restaurants in Brighton
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Description: Brighton's critically acclaimed Terre a Terre is a vegetarian restaurant that will have even the most ardent carnivore waxing lyrical. Situated close to the sea-front. The decor is chic and stylish, using wooden floors and furniture to contrast with vibrant colours. But here the food is the centrepiece: dhal basmati buns with coconut curry leaf chatni, better Batter and Lemony Yemeni Relish and Thai aubergine jungle curry are just a few of the exotic and imaginative dishes you can find here. To complement the food, a large selection of organic beers, ciders and wines are available. A three course meal here costs an average of £30 per person. A refreshing take on vegetarian cuisine.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I visited the restaurant for dinner with my husband, we were both delighted that it was re-open again after the fire damage. I have visited several times a year over the last 12 years or so. As usual, lovely modern decor and helpful, attentive and friendly staff.

We decided on the special 'three courses for £25' as our favourite mains were on the list. We both ordered the 'Congee Shiso Yuzu and Tempura Shiitake' to start, which is basically an 'island' of risotto surrounded with a sauce and topped with a mushroom tempura. The risotto was very average unfortunately and the 'sauce' tasted like a completely flavourless gravy, the mushroom tempura was nice however.
A bit of a disappointing start after we had really looked forward to eating here again.

For main course, I ordered the "Come Pine with Me" Rosti, it was nice, but the portion was very small, It was the size of a small saucer and very thin, a bit like a tiny pancake at £14.65 (if ordered on the a la carte menu) it was poor value, I was still hungry afterwards.

My husband ordered the "Better Batter and Lemony Yemeni Relish" which is "fish and chips' made from battered halloumi, my husband has ordered this dish many times in the past and enjoyed it this time. Served with chips and mushy peas, it was a much more substantial meal.

The puddings were divine !
My husband ordered the Nosey and Nutty Slack Parkin, I ordered the Cinnamon dusted doughnut straws with Arabica and cocoa dipping sauce with brandy chantilly, it was VERY chocolaty and very nice !
On the whole it was a good experience, but I think having a problem with two out of three courses needs a bit of work on their part. I will give it another try in a couple of weeks.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,310)

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have been looking forward to going back here for months,having only been once before the fire, on that occasion it was probably one of the best restaurants we had ever been too on this occasion it was still very good but we both felt that it was not quite up to it's own very high standards yet. I am sure it will get back up there as it is entirely understandable that to power up again from a scratch start must be very difficult. We will be going back. The place was very busy , particularly for a Monday night , which was great to see.

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I have always wanted to go to a vegetarian restaurant just to see how they substitute meat, or use ingredients in a way that you don't need meat.
You need to go here to at least try it!
The food was delicious and the staff were attentive, bit on the pricey side but definitely worth trying it.

I'd recommend on the menu, the hosin sesame tofu! Was so nice, great introduction for anyone that hasn't had tofu before.The Better Batter and Lemony Yemeni Relish is a brilliant take on the classic fish and chips.

Again this place is worth the visit if you are visiting brighton!

TerreaTerre, Guest Relations Manager at Terre a Terre, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

So glad you enjoyed, thanks for the kind words about us. We are really glad to be open again with all the same team cooking and serving, a great asset to us. Or aim was to return as before and look towards a positive 2013 - see you again soon x

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Great service, lovely food and romantic atmosphere. It was out first visit and we will be returning!

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I love this restaurant. I went here last Monday, they had been closed for a while following a kitchen fire. There food is as good as ever, first time visiters may be overwhelmed by the menu language but if you can't work out what you're looking at just ask any of the friendly staff who are only too happy to 'translate' for you. It's fun, I don't know why some people moan about it. I really like rosti revisited (revisited by it's many fans, me included), better batter (vegetarian fish and chips, so yum!), they do a fantastic garlic bread, and I always wish I had room for dessert!
Top marks! I will keep coming back.