“Little things show the weaknesses”
Review of Casalingo

Casalingo
Ranked #24 of 1,209 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Friendly & relaxed family run Italian Restaurant with authentic northern Italian cuisine
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Yes. The location is fine. The Italian waiters welcoming when I took my daughter and son-in-law for their birthday (2 days apart) treat. But the food doesn't cut it for the price.

When ordering bread and olives to start I asked the waiter if the olives were "good". He assured me they were. Wrong! We received a small dish of insipid, probably bottled, pitted black and green examples likely from the supermarket. I was instantly reminded of the rubbish olives served on American Airlines. Far, far removed from what any Italian would deem acceptable. I mentioned my disappointment to the waiter, who agreed! Well, why not be honest up front? Or take them off the bill?

My veal with capers was "ok". The meat was good, but swimming in sauce. The latter was watery and visibly separating. Bland vegetables were an extra cost side; slightly overcooked carrots are hardly representative of fine Italian cuisine.

Our tiramisu deserts were acceptable. With an ok bottle of Malbec, close to 120 quid for 3. Had it been £75, I'd be more forgiving.... Look elsewhere given what they charge - they use cheap and bland ingredients; the price should match.

2  Thank Cowombat2
Write a ReviewReviews (1,036)

Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

I have been coming here for over 20 years, I can't remember ever being disappointed. I came with friends, family and now all these years later, still come. We think its so great we had our wedding meal here and had wonderful food; a day that we will always remember.

Brighton has tons of restaurants, I have eaten at many of them and some that are really great but only some of the time. This one is just spot on every time, no exception.

The food is always fresh, the specials are delicious and I would highly recommend. The wine list provides something for everyone.

Tonight my husband had calves liver, it was exquisite. It compelled me to write this review. After all these years I felt the time had come!

Have a great meal.

1  Thank customerSouthEast_UK
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

Great to eat in a family restaurant and not a chain. Friendly welcome. Food good. Great atmosphere. I want to support this restaurant it deserves to do well. But pls don't add 10% service charge for a table of 2....I find it rude. Let the customer decide!

1  Thank Greatfoodalwayswins
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Visited 17th October nice warm welcome, choice of table, great atmosphere, only average carlic bread, but the chicken Angellino and lamb special were very good as the home made bonofie pie and blueberry cheese cake. 2 Brothers on top of there game with great customer service. A nice place to go for a meal.

1  Thank JOHN T
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Read reviews about this Italian, really authentic and great family run business. Went as a couple, enjoyed the good atmosphere and the italian waiter charm. Reasonably priced, we both had the Dover Sole as the Guardian review said this place was an italian where you can walk away not eating pizza/pasta. Well glad we did, simply great food and what a meal should be, a great experience. Can't praise enough without going OTT.

1  Thank Arnold00