“The best fish and chips in England!”
Review of Gourmet Fish and Chip Company - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Gourmet Fish and Chip Company
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 6, 2012

OK we haven't tried all the chippies in the UK but this has to be among the best. Really friendly staff - they actually remembered us from our previous visit several months before. The manager (owner?) is very personable and staff go out of their way to accommodate you. Food came quickly despite it being packed that day. Wide range of menu items and all four of our choices were excellent. There's even a wine list. Excellent illy coffee and really tasty desserts. We were very impressed, casual and relaxed but very clean. The bill was a pleasant surprise too; we thought they'd made a mistake. Can't believe some of the whinging comments below - probably from jealous competitors would be my guess!

Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I have heard quite a few bad things about this restaurant and I'm sure many If not all are warranted but we must have
been one of the lucky ones.

Ate there today with my children attracted by the billboard offer for £4.99 for cod and chips. My expectations were fairly low at that price but for that money what was I expecting?

Was greeted by a friendly waiter who gave us the choice of were to sit...albeit there were only 4 other customers (the weather was abysmal!)

We asked for 3 of the special offer meals and explained that we wanted to split one of the dishes for the 2 children who are both under 5. He was happy to oblige.

The meal came out pretty quickly and looked very appetising and to my surprise they presented 4 seperately plates with my children having only slightly smaller portions than we (the adults) did. I was wondering at this stage wether he had misheard the order and we were going to be charged more? I was pleasantly pleased to find out later that this was not the case and the kids meals came in at only £2.48 each!?

OK the chips were the frozen chunky type you can buy from Iceland and the fish probably had more batter than fish but credit were credit is due. We paid £14.97 for 4 fish and chip meals presented on china plates with homemade tartar sauce, side salad and mushy peas. That's a better deal than I can get from my local takeaway!?

Reviewed September 5, 2012

A wide range of menu options is available but the fish and chips is infinitely better than any other you will find.

For those of us with disabled family members, eating out can be stressful and unsuccessful. Not so at this restaurant: autistic daughter looks forward to it and her unchanging order is consistently served to her, irrespective of the chef, in the same way, with unvarying superb quality and freshness. For her to look at or communicate with anyone is too difficult but everyone is unfailing in their friendliness. She recommends the steamed cod every time...

Our spend is very low - lower than the average stated - but we are greeted no less warmly as a result and are always very well fed.

Hygiene is excellent: glasses and cutlery are sparkly and staff take a pride in presentation at the table and on the plate.

Cold drinks are properly chilled; there is a wide selection of coffees and wines, ice creams and slushies, and pud is splendid. variety of bread that tastes wonderful and is absolutely fresh. mints with your bill which is always lovely.

The interior is rather smart, minimalist and elegant but the manager and his staff are never cool: they are always professional but a warm welcome is also given and there are a great many people who are regular visitors. Your previous order is never forgotten – or your name.

Window-shop for your next super yacht, see a film, take a walk along the cliffs but whatever else you do, definitely eat at this restaurant. It is the best thing about Brighton Marina.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Unfortunately I have to agree with all the previous negative reviews and more! We visited the restaurant on 2/9/12, the food was disgusting, probably the worst we've had for many years. the service was very poor, the staff looked unclean and were clearly preoccupied with their own personal lives than the standard of service they were offering,and to top it off I saw some of the worse personal hygiene practises amongst the staff that I had seen in some time! It was a total waste of money and left us all with a very nasty taste!!!!

1  Thank purpledreamer380
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We live in Brighton and have eaten regularly at this Restaurant. The service has been excellent, food fantastic, the staff are very friendly and efficient. We love the place and cannot understand any of the previous negative reviews. The Chips are the best that we have ever eaten and the fish is equally delicious. Would thoroughly recommend eating here.

1  Thank Glenys H