“worst curry in hove!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I had a chicken tikka rogan that needed a salt pot to make it taste, my wife had a chicken tikka masala. I kid you not we could taste evaporated milk in it. awful

when we complained it was almost as it poor memory of the English language had kicked in and they had no idea what we were saying.

i wont be back. try curry mahal Portland road, or the rajah on windmill parade southwick for an unforgettable experience. a few quid more but you get what you pay for.

2  Thank Robert C

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Im really sorry to have to write such negatives as on the face of it, from the outside anyway, it looks promising. Truly dreadful in all aspects. The grunt from the waiter should have been a warning. The "whadayawant" when he shuffled to the table with an air of excessive disgust to take an order. Order repeated three times, two mains and two rice........say no more. Then a shuffle back to the table to re-confirm. Food delivered was the most terrible chicken madras I have had. Basically, diced cooked chicken dropped into a pan of a tomato based goo with no spice, flavour or anything. The waiters, I use the term loosely, proceeded to lay up empty tables by literally throwing the cutlery onto each table before returning to put in place. Its sad to see such a potentially good restaurant nose-diving to rock bottom; is it already there?

3  Thank sportyman
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Visted again this evening to celebrate special Birthday with wife, son and his wife.!
Not crowded, but a good selection of the public enjoying themselves.
The place looked as if it had just been re-decorated, so clean and inviting, with modern & a mix of traditional decor. clean expensive looking carpeting throughout.
We ordered popadoms to start, perfect in all aspects, with the selection of dips.
a side order of meat samosas cooked as fresh as 10 mins before eating them,went down a treat with its accompanying side salad .
drinks-from a full wine & spirits list and I mean full and not pricey !,house white and red by the glass, good and very drinkable. and the Indian beer- came in a huge bottle, the largest I have ever seen served in a restaurant.
Main courses were ordered and not a long waiting time for them either, especially as we were starving.
Tandoori chicken for two of us, Meat Dupiaza..a dream of a creamy Persian dish, with a Meat Dansag
and Sag Gosht-lamb pieces cooked in spinach-a feast of tastes. Bombay potato-mild and very tasty.
Nan bread for all, some plain, one garlic,one coconut. cooked beautifully and not burnt to a crisp.some plus speciality Rice was ordered.
The dishes were emptied one after the other, ameal with no problems or moans-.fantastic.
The young man that greeted us may be an owner/son or manager and was a great advert for how to meet and greet guests, yes others have stated, as I have in the past that some of the waiters are, not so much rude, ore off hand and more interested in ensuring they are doing things properly..but could be a little more user friendly sometimes but a great eating/culinary experience in the way Bangladeshi/Indian food should be cooked and served, nice portions and so.so tasty and appetizing..try it for yourself and tell me I was wrong..I have been trying Indian food all over the country and this is still one on top of my list. a meal for us 4 adults as above with various drinks Inc. service charge. £89.60p approx.£22.50 per head.inc. It is a huge venueopening into another shop adjoining and therefore suitable for large family or corporate 'do's' or just intimate meal for one/couples.Plus there is a Take away menu ,see it on line etc.,
For a gourmet Indian meal this place- is the place to be.... enjoy

Reviewed May 28, 2013

4 friends and I went to Ashoka on Friday night and had a very good time. It was busy as usual but we were seated with a minimum of fuss. The waiters were absolutely fine - polite, prompt and friendly. The food was excellent as usual.
I must say I disagree with some of these other reviews, and I've been going there for well over 15 years. I know my way round a curry - why would I continue going if it was that bad!!!
It's one of Hove's better curry houses, particularly if you are in a group.
Perhaps it's not suited for a couple wanting a quiet romantic currey - Ganges Brasserie next door is the place for that type of carry on.

Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

The food was ok but I have never came across such rude and unhelpful waiters in any other restaurants I have been in. I can see one waiter having a bad day but all of them?
they kept trying to get us to take larger drinks, the food was not quite thrown down on the table but it was pretty close to it. I was still drinking my beer when the waiter came over and pulled off the table cloth! I had to grab the bottle or it would have been spilt!

Do not give this place your custom! From the attitude we got it was clear they just want your money and then you can just get out. A terrible, terrible, restaurant it doesn't deserve your custom. I hope it closes down very soon - avoid at all costs!

2  Thank gothomson T