“Breakfast was disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cafe Rouge Brighton
Ranked #236 of 1,098 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Brighton Lanes, in the historic quarter, is a labyrinth of winding alleyways. Located just a stone's throw from Brighton beach and the Royal Pavilion, this quaint area is bursting with history, shops and places to eat. Soak up the atmosphere of The Lanes at Café Rouge. With a great location just minutes away from the seafront, it's the perfect place to grab a meal after working up an appetite enjoying all that Brighton has to offer.
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“Breakfast was disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I asked for decaf coffee - which came in a small cup and saucer. This was breakfast and cost £2.00. No top ups - this is the UK! So I asked for hot water to top up the dregs in my cup. That was the first thing that wasn't brilliant. The service wasn't particularly friendly but the location of the place is excellent and it was a sunny day - you can do lots of people watching there. I asked for poached eggs on brown bread with a sausage and tomatoes. Nothing extraordinary or challenging. The single tomato came uncooked and sliced in half and the toast unbuttered with the eggs on the plate. Not a big deal but not good enough for me to give it more than 3 stars. Why don't restaurants here - for breakfast anyway - give you coffee top-ups when it's just filtered coffee?

Visited May 2013

“Light lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

As I am not a big lunch time eater, I opted for a starter and a sweet with a glass of wine. The friendly waiter promptly brought the wine together with a glass of iced water with a slice of fresh lemon, which I did not even have to ask for. The chicken parfait was served with slices of very fresh french bread and was a very generous helping for a starter. I followed this with creme brulee - again a decent size and absolutely delicious. The service was friendly and efficient. I had an outside table and as they were not too busy (it was early afternoon) I was able to sit and relax for a while with my glass of wine, watching the world go by.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
“Midweek breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband, daughter (18 months) and I ate had breakfast here as we had a £25 voucher (courtesy of Strada where I had a terrible dining experience a couple of weeks ago). We were shown to our table by a very pleasant young man who was very cheery. After a suitable wait our food order was taken, my husband and I both had salmon Benedict with lyonnaise potatoes, I had a latte (I actually ordered a cappuccino, but never mind, I like lattes) and my husband had a Pepsi. For our daughter we ordered a child breakfast and a small bottle of still water. The atmosphere in the restaurant was very good - laid back and it felt almost cosmopolitan. When our food came my husband and I were impressed, we each had 2 slices of brioche (or similar) topped with a generous amount of salmon, 2 poached eggs and homemade (I presume) hollandaise sauce. On the side the lyonnaise potatoes looked crispy and very tasty. Upon eating our breakfasts my husband and I were pleased it tasted as good as it looked (although the lyonnaise potatoes required seasoning - something I rarely do). Our daughter's breakfast however, significantly let the food down. Her breakfast consisted of 1 bacon, 1 sausage, scrambled egg, 1 toast and 1/2 a grilled tomato. For £4.50 one would expect the food to be of good quality. Unfortunately, the reality was that the toast was cold when it came out (and no butter was offered), the sausage was very 'cheap' and not at all meaty, the scrambled egg looked fine but my daughter didn't want to eat it and she normally loves scrambled egg. She enjoyed the bacon (her first time eating it) but once I removed the fat there was not a lot there. When I paid the bill it cost £26.75, no service charge added so with tip we paid £30 (£25 voucher plus £5 cash). For £5 it was an excellent breakfast and a lovely treat as we don't often eat breakfast out. However, if one was paying full price then 2 adult breakfasts, a child breakfast and 3 drinks for £30 seems very expensive. We'll probably come back for dinner one day, but only with a voucher.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
“Another Good Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Went with friends on the bank holiday. Service as usual was excellent even though they were exceptionally busy. Nothing was to much trouble. Food appears cooked to order for most things and is very tasty. Do try the mussels and the chocolate & banana crepe with ice cream. Can't fault this place but not a 5* yet. If .in Brighton do visit , not overpriced

“Always very good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

Look no further than the Cafe Rouge if you want a very good lunch at a reasonable price. I wasn't expecting to rate Cafe Rouge anything other than 'very good' but the overall experience is better than average but it falls short of excellent. However, if you want a tasty lunch at a reasonable price in a lively atmosphere, then I think that the Cafe Rouge is difficult to beat and judging by the very full restaurant on Saturday, I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that it represents good value. If you're reading this review with a view to deciding whether to go to the Cafe Rouge for lunch then I would certainly recommend it, without reservation. There's a very comprehensive menu full of tempting bistro-type dishes and you'll leave thinking why haven't I been here before or why don't I come here more often? I did and I've been eating here for years!