“6 out of 5”

Food for Friends
Ranked #14 of 1,196 Restaurants in Brighton
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Voted 'Best Restaurant' in the Brighton Foodie Awards 2012Good food Guide 2013Food for Friends restaurant in Brighton has been in the vanguard of vegetarian cuisine for more than twenty five years. Set in The Lanes, Brighton’s most happening district, Food for Friends has slowly spread over three shop fronts, developing a labyrinth of brightly lit, modern dining rooms kitted out with stylish minimalism, some overlooking the bustling lanes outside. Cuisine from around the globe is created using predominantly local, organic ingredients, some delivered by bike. Vegans and those with food allergies and intolerances are well cared for here. Wines are organic and mainly vegan, coffee is fairtrade, and an irresistible afternoon tea is served.
Reviewed July 10, 2014

On a recent trip to Brighton I asked around for good places to eat and two different locals told me about Food for Friends. I can see why! The food was creatively flavoursome and pleased the eye and the taste buds. My colleague and I were well looked after by our friendly waitress and met the manager who clearly cares about fine details. If I lived in Brighton I would recommend this place to visitors too. It should suit anyone who likes to eat fresh food treated with respect and innovation.

1  Thank Alyson0429
Write a ReviewReviews (3,194)

Reviewed July 10, 2014

I enjoy every minute I spend in Food For Friends. The staff are always so polite and welcoming the food is fabulous and the ambience is wonderful! I often call in if I am on my own and want to relax and enjoy a light meal at lunchtime and I am never disappointed. In my opinion It is the best restaurant in the city. Even if you are not a vegetarian (which I am not) the food is so beautifully cooked and presented it is a lovely treat to go in and enjoy all the wonderful delicious choices they have on their menu each day. I wish you opened earlier in the day say 11.00.

1  Thank Jill B
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I have worked with an award-winning food magazine for many years and in my opinion one of the leading food magazines in the world. Food has been a passion of mine for many years and it's pure heaven to eat good food and know that when you return to a favourite restaurant you will never be disappointed. Food For Friends is one of these much loved restaurants, the food is constantly fresh with interesting twists and palate surprises, the food is served with panache and style and the portions will not disappoint any growling stomachs. The service is attentive, the staff friendly and dining is in a calm, relaxed atmosphere. The exquisite blends of taste will make any hard-core carnivore wonder why they never tried this vegetarian style of food before, or more regularly. It's hard not to lick the plate but you always know you'll be back for more!

Reviewed July 10, 2014

My husband and I were visiting from Southampton UK. We hiked from our campsite, seven miles from Brighton, and were famished when we reached Food for Friends. From the fresh raspberry/mint tea to the last bite of my tasty aubergine, I enjoyed every minute. We sat near a very large window and were able to "people watch" while sharing our meals. As vegetarians, we really appreciate restaurants/cafes that provide unique and creative menu options that champion local produce. We will definitely be returning...especially since I didn't have room for desert!

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Having recently moved to the area, I wanted somewhere to sit after exploring the lanes one weekday afternoon. I ordered the afternoon tea – scones and English Breakfast Tea Pigs tea, with clotted cream and what tasted like homemade jam and sat indoors.
The place was quiet when I went, a nice oasis in the shade (though you can sit outside if you wish). The staff were very friendly and gave me a jug of water with a sliver of cucumber in it – incredibly refreshing. I didn't realise this was a vegetarian restaurant before going there, but having looked at the menu, I will certainly go back. I am not a vegetarian but I love the look of the menu.

1  Thank BigSmokeRefugee