“One of my favourite Brighton restaurants”
Review of Food for Friends

Food for Friends
Reserve with OpenTable
Food for Friends is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 1,209 Restaurants in Brighton
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Voted 'Best Restaurant' in the Brighton Foodie Awards 2012Good food Guide 2013Food for Friends restaurant in Brighton has been in the vanguard of vegetarian cuisine for more than twenty five years. Set in The Lanes, Brighton’s most happening district, Food for Friends has slowly spread over three shop fronts, developing a labyrinth of brightly lit, modern dining rooms kitted out with stylish minimalism, some overlooking the bustling lanes outside. Cuisine from around the globe is created using predominantly local, organic ingredients, some delivered by bike. Vegans and those with food allergies and intolerances are well cared for here. Wines are organic and mainly vegan, coffee is fairtrade, and an irresistible afternoon tea is served.
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Feel the question above "Is this one of the best meals you've ever had in a restaurant?" is rather difficult to answer - I have had several best meals - and hundreds of very good ones, and countless poor ones. Food For Friends definitely is one of my go to venues of choice in this town, but having to share the space with howling children (why can't these parents remember what it was like pre baby, and simply step outside until the sobs subside?) does rather spoil the ambience.
This said, it is a very pleasant restaurant - a series of rooms linked together and filled with natural light. The staff are super and the food did not disappoint and we will be back again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,309)

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Food for Friends is now a regular lunching spot whenever I'm in Brighton, having been introduced to it by a friend who is vegetarian and celiac. I am neither vegetarian or celiac but would gladly forgo the best steak dinner to come here.

I have seen the word 'delicious' used many times on reviews here and I totally agree. I would also add 'creative' - the dishes are things that I would never think to create myself. The staff are also really friendly and were really helpful when my friend had her birthday there at my most recent visit.

If only they opened a sister restaurant in London!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

My sister and I had a very pleasant visit to Food for Friends this week. Friendly staff seated us for a few mins whilst a table was prepared.
Good vegetarian food - tasty and hot and well presented.
The staff were very pleasant, not obtrusive - just professional courtesy throughout our lunch.
We visited the restaurant because I had had a good business lunch there previously - and it held up to expectations again this time.
We are not veggies but the choice was good on the menu - although my fav (Potato Rosti) was not featured but I left a comment to this effect which has already been followed up by their team.
The lunch was part of a very pleasant day in Brighton to the new TK Maxx (WOW) !! , No. 10 the Jewellers (Marc Samuels is a star), and also to a very nice new traditional tea shop opposite the old Post Office in Ship Street -

A lovely day and a lovely lunch at Food for Friends - look forward to our next visit.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

The staff were really friendly and service was excellent although one starter didn't come out until after the main. The food was delicious and the restaurant was child friendly.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I've been coming to Food For Friends for a few years now and am never disappointed with the food or the service. I am vegan and allergic to some nuts, so often struggle in restaurants, but have never found it to be a problem here. When I have friends over to stay I'll often take them along and even the hardcore meat lovers have only good things to say, and are usually really surprised at how amazing veggie food can be. So if you want veggie food that will impress, but with a laid-back atmosphere, this is the place. Just remember to book in advance!