“Good, honest vegetarian food”
Review of Food for Friends

Food for Friends
Ranked #12 of 1,189 Restaurants in Brighton
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Voted 'Best Restaurant' in the Brighton Foodie Awards 2012Good food Guide 2013Food for Friends restaurant in Brighton has been in the vanguard of vegetarian cuisine for more than twenty five years. Set in The Lanes, Brighton’s most happening district, Food for Friends has slowly spread over three shop fronts, developing a labyrinth of brightly lit, modern dining rooms kitted out with stylish minimalism, some overlooking the bustling lanes outside. Cuisine from around the globe is created using predominantly local, organic ingredients, some delivered by bike. Vegans and those with food allergies and intolerances are well cared for here. Wines are organic and mainly vegan, coffee is fairtrade, and an irresistible afternoon tea is served.
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Most of time, when I go to a restaurant, I don't even look at the menu, it is far simpler to simply ask, "What have you got for vegetarians?"

How lovely is is to be able to peruse a menu, knowing that I can eat anything from it!

Good food, not 5-star good, but good, honest and a reasonable price.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,151)

Reviewed April 24, 2013

My girlfriend and I, along with two friends, spent a Saturday evening here (20 April) celebrating a birthday. From the moment we arrived the experience was first rate. Front of house was friendly and warm, despite obviously being very busy and we were led to our table within a few minutes. The ambience in the restaurant was addictive, there was a busy hum to the place and everyone, staff and customers, seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Out Table No was 'The Snug'. A six-seater table, adjacent the window (pleasant view onto The Lanes) in its own private nook. I would recommend this table for the intimacy it provided. It felt as if we had our own private area within the restaurant. That's not to say that the service was anything but exemplary. Miles, who worked our table, was very, very good. He immediately made the party feel relaxed, and explained that the table would not be required later in the evening (we had booked for 7.15pm) which was nice to know, and brought to the table a small entrée of hand-made crisps with pistachio nuts. Miles was attentive, and his timing was perfect whether it be to answer a question regarding the menu, to fill the water jug, or simply to enquire whether we were enjoying our evening.

The food? Well I could lavish superlatives on it, but what's the point, with so many others already having done so? I love a great rib-eye (thank you Buckwells of Southsea!) and always will, but this is the closest I have been to becoming a vegan. Our group were unanimous, the food was fabulous. A few super-highlights ...the Salt Baked Celeriac starter; the Butternut Squash Open Ravioli main, and the Portobello Stuffed Mushrooms; and the Plum and Pannetonne desert. These dishes were sensational.

There have been one or comments form other Diners regarding cost. I understand that. We are afterall in a tough economic climate. But as with anything, you get what you pay for. I actually thought the cost of our evening was exceptional value! Our bill came to £147 (including an optional service charge of 10%). We had Starters & Mains x4; Deserts x2 (shared); Bottles of wine x2; and, Irish Coffees x4. That's circa £37 per person all-in. Bargain!

If you want to eat out, in a restaurant that is in a prime location, has a real buzz and wonderful ambience, where the staff are charming and knowledgable, and where the food is novel, tasty and presented beautifully on the plate, and all this at a very reasonable price ...then FFF is for you.

A final salutary note: I don't agree with the practice of adding a 'discretionary' 10% optional service charge to the bill. It may be de rigueur nowadays, but I like to decide for myself what, if any, tip I wish to leave. I don't need a 'suggestion' thank you :)

Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Looked enticing from outside so tried it. So glad we did. Best chips I have ever had. Triple cooked so crispy outside and soft and fluffy inside. Everything else was to a similar high standard. Every dish that went past to another table was an example of presentation at its best. Had the mango salad that was so tasty! Service excellent. Will go again and again.

1  Thank TheRovingDiner
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The food in this place is amazing, lots of vegetarian and vegan options.

Its better to sit by the window if possible so you are able so soak up the atmosphere of the busy lanes outside.

Food for Friends is slightly on the expensive side but you pay for what you get as the food is really well prepared and tasty.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

This was recommended by hotel staff and although I'm not a vegetarian we came upon it while wandering through the lanes and thought we would give it a try. Really lovely food, great tastes and generous portions. Good cocktail menu too and nice to sit in the window and people watch. We had a selection of starters rather than a main course so we could try more things. All really good. I recommend you give it a go even if you are usually a meat eater.