“Beautiful valentines meal”
Review of Food for Friends

Ranked #11 of 1,168 Restaurants in Brighton
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Voted 'Best Restaurant' in the Brighton Foodie Awards 2012Good food Guide 2013Food for Friends restaurant in Brighton has been in the vanguard of vegetarian cuisine for more than twenty five years. Set in The Lanes, Brighton’s most happening district, Food for Friends has slowly spread over three shop fronts, developing a labyrinth of brightly lit, modern dining rooms kitted out with stylish minimalism, some overlooking the bustling lanes outside. Cuisine from around the globe is created using predominantly local, organic ingredients, some delivered by bike. Vegans and those with food allergies and intolerances are well cared for here. Wines are organic and mainly vegan, coffee is fairtrade, and an irresistible afternoon tea is served.
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Delicious and decadent meal, best service I've ever encountered despite having reservation than ran over normal closing time, great atmosphere and fantastic live music. I will definitely come back here on special occasions. The valentines special drink I had was particularly snazzy; sparkling wine with gold and amaretto in it- it made me feel amazing.

32katem, Manager at Food for Friends, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Oh we're so pleased you had a lovely time! These nights are really special and we love making the most of them and spoiling people rotten. The staff had a night to remember too.

Hope to see you again soon!

Kate, Food for Friends

There are newer reviews for Food for Friends

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Well we decided on a day out in the winter sun on the spur of the moment and were starving when we arrived

After a long walk through The Lanes we knew as soon as walked into Food for Friends that we were in for a treat. It was a bustling place with a bright and friendly welcome

We were lucky to get a table by the window so we could people watch as well as eat which is always good fun in Brighton

The food was lovely. Really tasty and interesting. Lots of choice. very well presented.

Service was good and everything came exactly as we wanted it...not rushed, nice pauses

Wonderful place, will definitely go back

32katem, Manager at Food for Friends, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thanks for your lovely comments! Really hope to cook for you again soon. Kate at FFFx

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We went for a friend's birthday and booked a table for 16 people. The service was a mixture of good and bad depending on which waiter or waitress came to our table. The food is lovely, but not enough of it! The portions are very small, and the price does not reflect this (too high).

If you are a small group, or two people, this restaurant may be for you. Although probably worth ringing to make a reservation, as we saw every single person walking in from the street being turned away from 4.30pm onwards for the entire night (on a Saturday).

This restaurant is not suitable for large groups or celebrations, as you are not allowed to take your own cake or arrive early to decorate the table - which is upsetting (as we were only told this when we turned up with cake and decorations in hand). We were made to feel like we were not really welcome and we only had 2 hours for the whole meal, which is unrealistic as we did not order until 40 minutes after we sat down. Was really happy when we were leaving, and felt we would have got a better service at somewhere else.

I'm not sure whether FFF think they can act rudely because they have a unique vegetarian licence, which they constantly told us about.

5  Thank Sophie H
32katem, Manager at Food for Friends, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thanks for your feedback. I've replied to the post below which I believe is from the same visit so please see these comments.

Best wishes

Kate Mason

Reviewed February 2, 2013

It was a friends birthday and I wanted to book something really special as she'd been through a lot lately and as she was a vegetarian thought FFF would be a great place.

From the moment I phoned up 2 weeks in advance to the time we left the restaurant the service by certain members of staff was awful. My original phone call to book a table for 14 on a Saturday, noting it was a birthday party I was told this was 'a bit awkward as we don't like to cater for large parties' I was then left hanging on the phone while I overheard a discussion between member of staff and some sort of floor manager(male) who said it would be a hassle but to accept the reservation. I should have thought at this point to put the phone down but carried on as it was for my friend.

Due to certain things the numbers of people coming changed so I phoned again to request to increase the table number to 16, again I overheard another conversation with a manager(male) who sounded very displeased to have our business but said they'd squeeze us in. Well thank you, there was me thinking that 2 extra people would bring extra business.

The day of the birthday. Booking was for 5pm, we had already asked if we could come half and hour early to decorate the table which we were told wouldn't be a problem. We arrived at 4.25 and were told to come back in 10 minutes as table wasn't ready which we completely understood as we were slightly early. At this time we handed over a chocolate cake that had been bought from a supermarket. The waiter told us that they didn't usually take outside cakes but as I hadn't been told this on any of my numerous calls to the restaurant they would do it for us. We weren't allowed it in case it had traces of meat in it! Understandable however, as the birthday girl was a vegetarian I was very careful to check it was veggie chocolate cake and it said it very clearly on the box 'suitable for vegetarians'. None the less they agreed we could do it.

20 minutes went passed and we came back to decorate the table. We were abruptly met by Gavin who we were later told was the floor supervisor or manager. He told us very rudely that the table wasn't ready and wouldn't be until 5. When we explained we were told 10 mins, he just said 'well it's not ready so there's nothing I can do'. We then took a seat at the waiting area. We watched Gavin being rude to almost every customer who came in and treated everyone like they were an inconvenience rather than a paying customer. He was clearly stressed but he shouldn't have taken it out on the customer's. I work in customer service and no matter how stressed you are you should always treat the customer's how you'd want to be treated if you can't do this you're in the wrong job.

Finally we were showed to our table, unfortunately we didn't get it decorated before the birthday girl showed up and it was slightly disappointing. Once sat down we received brilliant service from the other waiters and waitresses. I do believe the food is over priced but it was nice, we were also made to choose from the set menu and it would have been nice to be given the choice.

Unfortunately we witnessed Gavin having a go at a member of staff for having her mobile on her. I do completely agree with him telling her off for having it but he should not have done it in front of a number of customers. When a couple of our party went to the toilet they overheard Gavin slagging our table off to another waiter. I find this completely unacceptable as we were polite and didn't complain. If I had witnessed this myself I would have said something.

When it came time for the birthday cake we were told in front of the birthday girl that they could bring the cake in but Gavin had said we were not allowed to eat it! What a joke! So we all sang happy birthday and then boxed up the cake which we later had to bin as we're going out drinking after and couldn't carry a massive chocolate cake around bars and clubs in Brighton. I really do understand policy but I also understand discretion, there was no meat in the cake. Common sense.

Overall I would never return to this restaurant, it obviously does well as a business and doesn't need mine or the other 15 people I was with recommendation which is lucky.

3  Thank BNT8114

Thank you for your comments and we're really sorry you had a disappointing time with us. We take all feedback (good and bad!) very seriously and we wanted to speak to the staff members involved before sharing our feedback with you.

Our group booking policy states that we do not take bookings for groups over 10 people at weekends. Any increase in numbers should not have been agreed by our manager – this was a mistake on our part.

With regards to the cake, our policy is that we don’t allow any food or drinks from outside the restaurant to be consumed in the restaurant, not because we’re mean, but for food safety reasons. This should have absolutely been explained to you when you booked.

In light of your comments we are addressing issues with the staff concerned and underlining our policies, specifically to do with reservation numbers and cakes.

We sincerely hope that you’ll give us another chance to impress you at some point in the future.

Best wishes

Kate Mason

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I can't wait to return again after another great meal.
Lovely food, great cocktails, good service!
Great atmosphere too!

Thanks for taking the time to write the comments, much appreciated and so pleased you had a marvellous time. FFFx