“Excellent meal”

Ranked #129 of 1,203 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Found this restaurant near our B and B during a 2 night stay in Brighton after finding other places closed on a Monday.We were not disappointed, the service, food and general atmosphere was good. I do not pretend to be an expert in how to make a Thai curry, I just know when a meal is fresh and tasty, my red Thai curry was. The Goong pahd khing, stir fry prawns with ginger and spring onions could have benefited from more veg, peppers etc. but still tasted very good. We will revisit on our next trip to Brighton.

SawadeeThai, Owner at Sawadee Thai Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review. ‘Goong Pahd Khing’ is prawns (goong) with ginger (khing) and onions, and Thai chefs don’t usually add extra veg to these traditional combinations. We do have some nice veg dishes – brocolli stir fried with cashew nuts in oyster sauce or mixed fresh vegetables stir fried with Thai basil and chillis make a nice vegetable side dish with your main stir fry.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Beautiful restaurant with queue outside on busy saturday evening..We were lucky after 20 minutes got table by the bar and served iced cold thai beer.. Food was divine and very testy..Chicken satay and my red curry prawns was delicious.. Shall be back soon as we live few streets away..

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Previiously read good reviews, on this occasion i feel the reviewers let me down! - Hadn't booked on busy saturday night so grateful to be offered table in room buzzing with atmosphere by very charming chap if we could return in 30 minutes, did so and table ready-off to a good start! Avoided set menu as we wanted specific dishes, both ordering chicken Tom yum soup, followed by prawn pad Thai and beef massaman. Tom yum soup very bland, not punchy and vibrant as would be expected, should be salty,sour hot and sweet. actually tasted of unpleasant stock with lemongrass and galangal with some very dry chicken and a lot of virtually raw mushroom. would have benefitted from more chilie, tamarind, lime and fish sauce in addition it would have at least looked better with some coriander and Thai basil. Then waited 30 plus mins. for mains, Pad Thai looked fine and I am told tasted ok but not special. Beef massaman, my favourite curry - that famous dish where 'stewing style cubed meat is cooked slowly in a massaman sauce imparting the wonderful mild coconut flavour to the meat and the potatoes added for the last hour or so of cooking'. What then was this in front of me? wafer thin slices of tough beef that obviously along with the cold and unpleasant tasting potatoes 'met' the sauce I would guess about 30 seconds before meeting me!. Congratulations! The first dish i have actually been unable to eat in a restaurant for a very long time, when asked by waitress if I had finished, I told her It was not good and to take it away, she duly did so ....returning with dessert menus which were declined!. Restaurants getting poor reviews for food say 'you should have complained at the time and we would have done something about it' if I had ordered a stir fry or pad Thai I would have done so, putting my poor meal down to it being busy, but beef massaman is precooked, therefore the management were fully aware of the poor quality of what they were serving. Very disappointed, will go elsewhere next time, we are blessed with a wonderful choice for Thai food in B&H, my advice to those who think this is the best Thai outside of Thailand you are so very wrong... Not even good for brighton!

1  Thank barshimmy
SawadeeThai, Owner at Sawadee Thai Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

In restaurants Thai chefs use finely sliced, prime lean beef, not stewing steak you mentioned, which although cheaper, does need hours of cooking. We do not pre-cook the curries but make them to your individual order in a stir fry style. Both are nice, but different.

Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I'm so glad we stumbled upon this restaurant on our weekend in Brighton. The food, service and value for money were great. We had the chicken satay and beef salad to start followed by red curry with prawns and beef with garlic and black pepper. All dishes were delicious and extremely authentic, as good as anything we've tasted in Thailand. Highly recommended.

Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

1st visit..just moved into the area & liked the look of this restaurant..went in wth no booking & welcomed by "Ed" who gave us a lovely table by the window. My wife & I studied the menu ...whilst doing were given thai crackers &chilli dip complimentary. Ordered 2mains frm speciality menu...both were presented so beautiful & tasted even better if possible than they looked! Service was attentive bt not over the top. Asked to chose complimentary drink after meal which for 1st visit & not spending a great deal was the icing on the cake. Alot of thai food in kemptown...this cud be one you would walk past & miss...DONT walk past...its lovely.

1  Thank Brian F