“Lovely food, decent value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Wai Kika Moo Kau
Ranked #86 of 1,098 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
UK
“Lovely food, decent value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

We treated ourselves to breakfast here. The full veggie breakfast was lovely, and my dairy-free daughter absolutely loved the pancakes and maple syrup (something she can't usually eat elsewhere). It's a friendly place, too. If we visit Brighton again we would definitely go back here for breakfast!

Visited August 2013

“Great lunch, worth seeking out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We stopped for late lunch and had the mezze platter. Great value with friendly staff and a chilled out atmosphere

• Visited August 2013
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“A favourite cafe of mine ruined by appalling service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

I have been a regular of Wai Kika Moo Kau for some time - it was one of my favourite cafés in Brighton. But after today, and the service we received, I can't imagine ever going back.

A member of my party quizzed the waitress on an item on our bill and said that the additional salad that came with the meal was quite overpriced, She immediately became very hostile and angry and tried to push us into speaking to the manager, which we hadn't considered doing over such a small matter. We would have left it there except that we could hear her talking about us to the staff and shooting looks at us for a good 5 minutes while we remained at the table.

We decided to go and speak to her and/or the manager and she defended the menu prices to us again. I told her that the salad really wasn't the issue, it was the fact that she seemed very rude when she spoke to us. This set her off big time, and she immediately denied being hostile and accused us instead. She then turned away from us and implied she didn't care because after we left we would no longer be a problem for her.

On the way out, I managed to catch the manager and told him what had happened. He was very apologetic and polite but unfortunately it was not enough to undo the treatment we had received from the waitress.

My friends and I are polite, rational and pretty self-aware people! We were shocked to be treated this way by a person whose job it is to provide customer service, and even more to be blamed for hostile behaviour ourselves.

The shame of this is that I can no longer visit my favourite vegetarian restaurant! I don't feel they deserve my custom any more.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Caroline H
Brighton, United Kingdom
“OMG. HOW RUDE!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Just literally walked away from this restaurant & had to write a review whilst I was still angry.

I have been coming to this restaurant for years for breakfast or lunch with my two dogs. We normally sit inside but sometimes outside.

Today, due to the heat, we decided to sit inside for a late lunch.

As soon as we walked in We were pounced on by two members of staff who were quite aggressive in their manner stating "No Dogs inside".

To our amazement we replied that we had been coming in here for a long time with the dogs. The girl's response was "I've been working here for years & we have always had a 'no dog' policy." She was, in fact, calling us a liars.

Eventually the other member of staff said it wouldn't hurt for us to sit inside however she maintained we sat outside in the blistering heat with no shade.

Obviously, we weren't prepared to spend any of our hard-earned cash to a business that was being so unreasonable & rude to us. So we left, never to return.

Ironically, this is a vegetarian restaurant & she insisted that we sit out in the sun with no shade with our dogs. That's animal welfare for you!

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Darren F
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Brilliant breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Had the mini all day breakfast , when it came I thought they had given me the full breakfast by mistake, I had to ask to be sure .£3.50 , it was excellent value. would definitely visit again and sample more of the menu , the salted caramel latte sounded delicious but I was too full from my mini breakfast Next time! Thank you.

• Visited June 2013