“Good stews, downgrading as drinks are very pricey”
Review of Basketmakers Arms

Basketmakers Arms
Ranked #123 of 1,168 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Pretty decent pub grub. Stews always a hit. And it is a good place to go for a pint. BUT some of the lagers are now pretty pricey coming in at much more than £4 a pint. This is Brighton, and not the West End.

There are newer reviews for Basketmakers Arms

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I visited this pub for the first time during the summer, so I certainly needed to visit it again whilst in Brighton. I was not disappointed.

My first visit (of this trip) was on a Saturday nice. It was jammed packed with people but we were lucky enough to find a small table to sit at. As we had a seat, this meant we took up residence for the rest of the night. The staff were friendly, the beer was good (although expensive) and the people were great. We got chatting to several different local people whilst we were there. This is a laid back pub and appeals to all ages which is nice.

Our second visit of this trip was the next day for lunch (and yes, we were hungover from the night before) but a good veggie burger and chips did the trick. On Sundays they have a good selection of roast dinners, including a vegetarian roast which is always good to see.

I will no doubt be visiting this pub when I next return to Brighton as I love the place. Just be advised that it is small, so if you are going for dinner or Sunday lunch I would advise that you get there early (they open at 12 on a Sunday), although it seems that a lot of people eating there on Sunday have an unspoken rule that you eat and then leave allowing other people to sample the delights of the food. Please note that you are no forced out by staff or people, it is just that I noticed people would eat and then leave shortly after which made room for the new comers to get a seat and be able to eat :)

Reviewed December 15, 2012

This is probably the best pub in Brighton and it sells a good choice of well kept real ale, It also has a wide range of food which is well presented, only a short walk from the town centre and always busy with local trade. The staff are also very friendly. If you're going to Brighton don't miss this gem

Reviewed December 4, 2012

It's as good as everyone says.
The pub is rather small so at peak times it's wise to get there early (it was full by 12:20pm on Sunday) though people are very friendly and make space for you if they can. The pub does not take reservations.........
The roasts are generous and well cooked: my wife had the beef and liked it a lot; I had the beef and mushroom stew - outstanding, with no trace of fat or gristle!
Not a pub you might happen to walk past - it's tucked away but well worth looking for
NB: if you like horseradish/mint sauce etc. etc. ask for it when your lunch is served - it doesn't come automatically.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

The Basket Makers is a local institution. It always seems to be busy. It is often absolutely mobbed and you can't reserve tables for food. But it is well worth a try. The food is good and sensibly priced. Good beeper, good food and a really busy locals pub, brilliant.