“Great for light business lunch”

Pitcher & Piano - Brighton
Ranked #199 of 1,189 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We pride ourselves on great drinks, great food and great service. Come visit us down on the seafront!
Reviewed April 7, 2014

From looking below there seems to be a variety of mixed reviews on this bar.

My experience of the place was very good. I visited around 2 or 3pm for a light bite to eat following a business meeting and found the food to be very good and pretty good value for the area. I think I had to wait a short while for a member of staff to take my order as they must have been busy with something else, however the young lady behind the bar was very pleasant, well presented and more than happy to help. For a Friday afternoon they probably could have used another member of staff as I could only see the one but it wasn't overly busy.

Really nice atmosphere and even when quite it does not feel empty with the quirky décor and low lighting and great central location with some seating areas having fantastic sea views.

Justin_Brown_87, General Manager at Pitcher & Piano - Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Hi,

Thank you for your positive review! We will certainly pass on your kind words to our bartender!

We are delighted to hear your visit with us was a pleasant experience and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future. We would be happy to help you host any further business meetings or conferences.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Attended as part of hen party. Went in before dinner for cocktails and then returned after dinner for drinks and music.
Toilets not working so All using disabled.

Callum W, General Manager at Pitcher & Piano - Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Hi,
Thank you for the positive review, it's great to hear you enjoyed your time and that the Hen Party was a success.

We understand our plumbing issue was rather inconvenient however we are pleased to say our toilets are back up to 100% functionality.

Thanks again and we hope to see soon.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

I am writing this review after having already raised a complaint via the Pitcher & Piano site, but having received no reply or formal apology or offer of compensation for being greatly inconvenienced. I would give this pub/ restaurant the lowest rating possible via TripAdvisor and recommend that you AVOID this branch of the chain, unless it puts in place steps to drastically improve service, the standard of food it produces and the measures it takes in future when staff are absent - particularly in the kitchen.

So, on the 9th March, at around 14:30 my partner and I visited the Pitcher & Piano in Brighton. (If a member of the customer service team are reading this now, I can produce more details if required). We chose it primarily because we thought that being a chain pub/ restaurant that the food and service would be reliable and to a decent standard. How wrong we were.

Before beginning my explanation, I must just state that although the restaurant area was fairly busy, with some tables of large groups at the start, they left after approximately 30 minutes. After this, the restaurant was under half full. It was by no means busy. There was also a large number of staff on the floor, despite poor service.

Here's an overview of our experience:

1) We sat down and were waited on after about 15/20 minutes. There was a marked lack of recognition/ acknowledgement and we were not greeted on our entrance to the restaurant.
2) After raising the attention of the manager, our drinks order was taken. I asked for an English breakfast tea, which was acceptable other than the minor fact that the complimentary pink wafers had the bottom layer missing and looked and tasted rather stale.
3) There was then another lengthy delay before a waiter became available to take our food order. We had to call someone over in order to get attention of any kind. Our table had also not been wiped and had remnants of food from a previous customer's meal.
4) We ordered our food and were told that there would be a 20 minute wait, though we were given no indication as to why. We accepted this.
5) After a 45 minute wait we called the manager aside. It was obvious that there were problems, as several other customers had spoken to the manager and complained about the poor standard of service and/or food. The manager was also spending large amounts of time over by the kitchen area, though we had no idea why there was an issue at the time, as this was not communicated effectively.
6) The manager assured us that the food was on its way. We were given the impression that it would be served imminently.
7) A total of an hour later we received our food.
8) I had ordered roast beef which had several problems a) it was cold b) the meat was undercooked and although I understand beef can be eaten rare, it is not generally the accepted presentation in a roast - unless specified c) the menu had stated that this meal included 'honey roasted carrots, red cabbage, parsnips, Yorkshire pudding. None of these were present on my plate. I also think it is important that I state, I had a total of 2 peas - which were not detailed on the menu. d) It must also be noted that the presentation was poor. The meat and vegetables were piled in the middle of the plate with a thin layer of gravy. e) the meat was over 50% gristle and largely inedible. There were tendons and it was chewy. It was not appetising.
9) My partner had ordered a burger and chips. Though this was largely okay, the chips had fish batter and bits of fish in them, which we thought strange seeing as the dish was supposed to contain no fish.
10) We called the manger over again, and spoke to him regarding the above points, confirming why were were unhappy and asking what he would do to compensate us. He said that he was sorry, that he had had a number of kitchen staff absent and would not charge for anything we had received - including drinks. We were grateful for this, but still feel that we should have had something further - i.e.: a voucher/ or at least some sort of recognition for our terrible experience & inconvenience from the Pitcher & Piano customer service.

After finishing our meals, we left promptly. The time was now around 16:00 and this terrible experience had consumed a large portion of our day. We had travelled down from Surrey to Brighton and as I recall, this particular weekend was one of the rare occasions when the weather is fair. I greatly regret choosing the Pitcher and Piano. I will avoid all chains in future, in a bid to reduce my chances of a similar experience.

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time out to leave feedback on your visit with us.

We here at Pitcher & Piano hold ourselves to the highest levels of standards and service, therefore it is extremely disappointing to hear we have fallen short on this occasion. It is true we were missing some key members of staff however this does not excuse the fact we failed to provide the levels of service we promise.

Please accept our sincerest apologies that this issue was not addressed sooner however no further complaints were received on site following your visit.

We would love to take this oppurtunity to invite you back in an attempt to prove to you that the your experience with us is very much the exception as opposed to the rule. Please contact us directly at brighton@pitcherandpiano.com or reach us on 01273 749780 to arrange a time and date that suits you and to discuss what we can do for you. In the meantime we will work hard to ensure none of your above points become an issue in the future.

Again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

We both had burgers and they were really tasty. My only critic would be how few chips we got. They were chunky chips, but we only got about 6 of them each. We would have liked more. Other than that it was reasonably priced and tasty.

Callum W, Manager at Pitcher & Piano - Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Hello and thank you for your positive review. I'm glad you enjoyed your lunch with us! I'm sorry that you weren't impressed with the portion of chips you were given, I will pass this on to to our kitchen team.

Kind Regards,

Danny Smerdon
Assistant Manager

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I celebrated my 30th Birthday here with around 35 people to serve. Pre ordered a load of various cocktails which they handled perfectly even with all the changes. I had a brilliant time as did everyone. Fantastic service. Drinks were flowing! Thanks to Callum, Vicky (our fab waitress who took good care of us) and Danny for a great night!

Hello and thank you for your positive review. We aim to deliver friendly and efficent service and pride ourselves in our cocktail menu, offering a variety of classics, as well as our own house twists. I'm glad you and your friends had such a great night with us for your birthday! Be sure to visit us again soon!

Danny Smerdon