“good food, slow service”

The Promenade Restaurant
Ranked #915 of 1,203 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We used our Tastecard to have dinner midweek in mid July. The view over Brighton beach was somewhat marred by the rain. It was probably the rain which accounted for the hotel having a very high demand for room service. At least this was the reason given for the long delays between courses. When it arrived the food was great, with imaginative combinations like sea bass and chorizo... which worked well. Would go again.

1  Thank BrightonBongo

Reviewed May 21, 2012

The meal we had was not what I was expecting for this Hotel. The starter was missing some of the ingredients so was sent back to the kitchen, which did not bode well for the rest of the evening. No Chef should let a plate leave without first checking the plate is in perfect order.
Although the salmon was cooked well, the accompanying vegetables were pretty miserable, so I left most of them. Finally the desert I chose Eton Mess was a dish of cream, a few banana pieces and maybe one piece of meringue. I did not eat this and did complain to the waitress who was very apologetic and did offer to bring another desert, but by this time I just wanted to leave. The restaurant lacked atmosphere, but may have been different on a busier night, although the Hotel was very busy with 2 wedding receptions. I did think that the kitchen was putting all its energy into the wedding banquets rather than the restaurant, but this should not be the case. The restaurant should be tip top regardless of how busy the kitchen is.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

Starter and main course was really good but the deserts were a let down for both me and my partner.
The waitress/manager explained it was a new menu but you'f have thought the chef would know if the baked alaska was cooked or not, it hadn't touched n oven, it was raw just piped over the ice cream and the fudge pieces were also missing which were supposed to be sprinkled over the top.

I asked the manager about this and she said she would ask the Chef, I never got an answer although it took 20 minutes to bring the bill, i either assume she was too embarrassed or couldn't be bothered.

Don't order the deserts, a total let down for both me and my partner who had sticky toffee pudding, he said it wasn't great.

Reviewed December 30, 2011

We came here to eat on a budget using Tastecard, but were treated very well and enjoyed our food. As starters we had "Kippered" salmon; and haddock and salmon fishcake. The main course of cornfed chicken was presented on a bed of mushroom risotto, and did need a side of house salad to complete the dish. The lamb kleftico is slow-cooked shoulder, but there was no bone involved and the meat was superb. The seasonal vegetables served as part of the dish were limited, and should probably have been accompanied by a side of green veg if available.
Altogether very good food.
Almost forget to say we had a lovely view of the pier too.

Reviewed October 5, 2011

Food was delicious and perfectly cooked? Service was totally professional and timely. Overall best experience we have had in a very very long time. You have to eat here! Coque av vin & Eton mess - so delicious!!