“Excellent Japanese experience.”

Oki-Nami Japanese Restaurant & Cocktail Bar
Ranked #295 of 1,176 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This classically kooky, Tokyo-esque Japanese restaurant and delicatessen on the New Road in Brighton is the brainchild of acclaimed chef Mike Dodd and DJ Norman Cook aka Fatboy Slim. With a minimialist, contemporary interior featuring handmade oak furniture, caliigraphy clad lanterns and an exclusive soundtrack tailor made by Cook, Oki-Nami has become a hit with local sushi connoisseurs, hipsters and Japanophiles. Located near the Theatre Royal opposite the Pavillion Gardens, Oki-Nami restaurant is renowned for its award-winning sushi; Japanese tapas; main courses such as the Suzuki Saffron sea bass served with a citrus sauce; desserts including the restaurant's famous green tea ice cream; and east-meets-west cocktails such as the Japanese Cherry Blossom Margarita.
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We visited this restaurant today with myself, husband and 2 daughters. Very welcome greeting, excellent drinks suggestions. Didn't wait long for drinks to arrive, the japanese lemonade very good, the sauvignon Blanc could have been slightly more chilled. We told the owner/chef that we are unfamilar with japanese foof and to choose our menu for us. Excellent choice of sushi platter, tempura seabass amazing and the duck dumplings were out of this world. The experience as Oki-Namo was excellent and we were very well looked after. The bill came to just under £80 inclusive of service, enjoyed the food and experience. This was a quiet lunchtime so suggest you visit at a similar time for a similar service. Very good.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

We pre booked our table back in August, however when we arrived our booking could not be found but with little fuss we were given a table squashed next to counter which was ok but every time the door to the resturant was opened you got a rush of very cold air. Putting this aside we received our free hot saki which was what you received if you pre booked your table on line. The food was tasty however my husbands starter Nikku Gyoza which were dumplings were a bit burnt on 2 of them which my husband said were ok he didn't mind the taste but obviously again was a bit disappointed. His main which was Unagi Don ,Teriyaki char grilled eel which was very nice and I had the Chicken Teriyaki which tasted lovely if a bit cold. All in all we are glad that we went however left disappointed.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Had my boss over from the US and wanted to take her to a great Brighton restaurant. Oki Nami was recommended, so I took the management team there.

Firstly, the food was excellent. I've personally not had Japanese before, but all the dishes were very well presented and tasted superb. Credit where credit is due, so congratulations to the chef.

However, the service seriously let the whole experience down. We had booked, and was mid week, so restuarant was very quiet. We weren't exactly welcomed warmly, and took 25 mins for drinks to arrive. When they did, unfortunately, a glass of red wine was dropped by the waiter which landed on my VP's jacket. OK, accidents happen, but rather than apologise and worry about the jacket, the waiter said nothing and simply focused on mopping the table. It would have been much easier to have moved us to another table (there were plenty available), and make sure we were OK rather than worry about the furniture.

We asked for recommendations for the amount of starters to share, but knowledge was clearly limited, so we had to guess. A further round of drinks then took another 30 mins to arrive after being ordered.

On departing, we did get a mumbled apology, but no acknowlegement on the bill, and my boss was too polite to complain. A real shame, as we were all very excited about going, and turned out to be such a poor experience. Maybe at weekend it would be better, but staff need some serious training on how to look after customers. Going to a restaurant is so much more than just about the food, and I think they have lost sight of this.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I live in Brighton and visit Brighton restaurants every week. Oki-nami is the first on my family's list when it comes to where we want to go. I went again on Saturday and had another great meal. Tofu age, kaizen gyoza and tuna teriyaki skewers for starters, and an amazing tuna wafu bento box for mains.

I love the atmosphere of the restaurant too, very chilled, with relaxing music. Some people comment that the service is slow, but this is not fast food, go to a chain for that. This is the best food in Brighton and you sometimes have to wait a bit for it.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Nice food, nice atmostphere, lovely time. Reasonably price, its nice place to have a good chat over dinner.