“Best Chinese in Brighton with great service”
Review of China Garden

China Garden
Reserve with OpenTable
China Garden is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #112 of 1,209 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I've been going to China Garden regularly for around 10 years. It's a great place for Sunday dim sum, and in the evening a nice elegant place for an a la carte meal.

I love the food here. It's not 'fine dining' but its good quality 'as you would expect' Chinese food with no surprises. When you crave Chinese food this is all you want - you don't need to be experimented on. I don't want pomegranate in my sweet and sour chicken etc.

Try the sizzling satay supreme, the kung po chicken and the black bean beef ho fun noodles. Dim Sum on a Sunday is also popular so expect to queue.

the service here is always great. The staff are friendly and seem like they really want to be there - especially the long standing staff and manageress.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We Chose China Garden as we were staying at a nearby hotel, we wish we hadn't and had walked further into Brighton.

We were seated in a corner of the restaurant, whilst this was nice as we were by and large on our own, it did highlight the odd behaviour of the staff.

Whilst deciding what to have, whilst eating our starters, and whilst waiting for our mains the waitress would come up and stand next to our table and peer at us for a few seconds before walking away.

Menu wise - very limited. Not a great deal to choose from.

We started with Dumplings and Spare Ribs, both dishes were very good and faultless.

Sadly, it stopped there. The mains (Fish with Ginger and Spring Onions) and Duck with Mushroom and Bamboo were just poor. The fish was chewy, like a piece of chewing gum, the duck likewise with pieces of duck fat throughout the dish.

Surprisingly, the waitress didn't come, stand a watch during this part of the meal!

Not a great meal, and I will certainly not be eating here again.

1  Thank rjs6Pint
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Authentic place. The food was fine and also was the service.
We had a two year old but they were happy to provide a high chair.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Wide range of choice to chose from, personally I found I couldn't eat a lot on the menu, as I don't eat fish or seafood, but everyone I went with really enjoyed it, even the frogs legs.
I personally only liked the steamed pork dumplings and this grilled turnip puree in a slice thing, both I just reordered lots of.
Jasmine tea was lovely too.
Would probably not return, because I can't eat most of it, but would recommend it as it has good fresh food and good service.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We visited at Christmas and I have to say that the food and atff are both first class. This is my first review on Trip Adviser. We had lobster in ginger which was outstanding plus a range of delicious vegetables that were just perfect. If you are an expert in Chinese dining or a beginner, look no further. Head straight for China Garden. Thoroughly recommended. We shall certainly be back. Robin