“Service needs work” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Donatello

Donatello
Ranked #89 of 1,098 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Service needs work”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

We had to wait 45 minutes to be served at lunchtime, which for me is unacceptable as we had to bolt our lunch in order to be back in time for a meeting. The mushrooms and pizza were tasty however. The waitress was offhand and had a bad manner. Cheer up!

Visited July 2014
donatello-brighton, Public Relations Manager at Donatello, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thanks for the review, Melanie - we appreciate all feedback, whether good, bad or indifferent. We're very sorry you had such a long wait - this is an extremely unusual occurrence as our staff are trained and experienced to give excellent service especially when the restaurant is busy - which it frequently is at peak times. I feel sure that if you had mentioned your circumstances to the duty house manager something could have been done to speed things up. We're glad you enjoyed the food - please come and give us another try next time you're in Brighton.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Perfect for Social Occasions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

I visited Donatellos recently with about 10 work colleagues for an end of term celebration. One of the many plus sides of this restaurant is that its menu suits many budgets and tastes, making it a perfect choice for large groups. There are options to have a set three course menu for £10.95 or £17.95, or you can pick and choose dishes, and still not pay over the odds. Their extensive menu is available to view online - another plus side for more indecisive diners such as myself!

The restaurant itself has a lovely atmosphere, friendly staff, and clean toilets. It is perfect for dining in a group, although I wouldn't choose it for a couple's date - there are many groups dining in this large restaurant, giving more of a celebratory atmosphere than a romantic one.

The food was delicious, and everyone in my party agreed. I began with the Melanzane, which was a huge portion - as lovely as it was, I didn't finish it as I wanted to leave room for my main - Rigatoni al Barolo. I will definitely be ordering this on my next visit as it was divine. I could actually taste the wine in the dish, and the flavours were well balanced. The pasta was cooked perfectly, too.

A downside for me is that there is no bruschetta on the menu - it's one of my favourite Italian starters and I was disappointed that it was not there (then again, it forced me to branch out and have the Melanzane, which I certainly was not disappointed with!). Also, the service charge was added to the bill - and we did not realise this until after we had paid and tipped separately and didn't feel comfortable asking for our second tip back!

Having said that, even with most people eating 3 courses, a few bottles of wine and other drinks, we paid less than £20 per head - including two generous tips - so I can't complain!

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone wanting a social meal out with 4 or more people, and I look forward to my next visit.

1 Thank PStow
Great review, PStow - Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback - always appreciated. We couldn't agree more - Donatello is a superb place for groups of all sizes to get together and enjoy a delicious meal and our great value menu offers dishes to suit all palettes with prices to suit every pocket. Our 2/3 course specials start at just £7.95pp with a variety of dishes included. We also cater for special dietary requirements - our menu features vegetarian, gluten-free and wholewheat options. We're thrilled to hear that you and your colleagues enjoyed your visit - hope to see you again soon.
Andover, United Kingdom
“Excellent value but service charges on bill”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

This place was really busy but we managed to get a table outside. We chose the set menu, excellent value at £9.95. Portions were huge and the desserts were excellent. Our waitress was lovely. Only thing I didn't like - they put a service charge on the bill which I refused to pay. I like to give my tip to the staff in cash.

Woking, United Kingdom
“Surprisingly good Italian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

Donatello's is a large Restaurant dominating Brighton place in the Lanes.

The pizzas were beautifully made just the way I like them; thin crust and lovely toppings.

Wife and kids had pasta which was wonderfully creamy.

Corner table but service very attentive.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks very much for the 5 star review, enw66 - we really appreciate you taking the time to write it.
Our pizzas are a very popular choice, and have a bit of a cult following in Brighton - we're very proud of them, glad you did too. I assume the "surprising" element to your visit was when you received the bill? We are great value and with our 2-course special for just £7.95pp you can bring the wife and kids next time you visit Brighton.
La Cala de Mijas, Spain
“Good place to eat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

We arrived very early evening and didn't have to wait for a table. We very much enjoyed our meal - 2 courses for £7.95 - really great value. We had a Melanzane and a Tagliatelle Funghi e Proscuitto, both delicious. Didn't think the choice on the salad bar was that good though. Would definitely go back when next in Brighton

Visited July 2014
1 Thank BWN0912
donatello-brighton, Public Relations Manager at Donatello, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Great to hear that you enjoyed your visit, Soofie. We get a lot of good feedback about our set menu specials, and no wonder when they're such great value at £7.95 with a choice of starters, mains and desserts - don't forget - if you find you've got room for dessert after a starter and main, you can always upgrade to the 3-course special for just £9.95.
Thanks for taking the time to review us - we hope you'll visit again soon.