“Mixed bag - perhaps sushi is not for us”
Review of Moshimo

Moshimo
Ranked #214 of 1,168 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Moshimo is one of Brighton's most popular restaurants, with a fiercely loyal customer base: 35% of its customers dine at the restaurant at least once a week. They visit regularly because they know the staff, and know how good the food is.The restaurant's 50% MOSHIMO MONDAYS & TUESDAYS, where members receive 50% off their food, is a sell-out. Check the restaurant out in the summer, when the entire front of the restaurant dramatically slides open like a shoji screen.Moshimo is behind FISHLOVE, the global photographic campaign to end over-fishing, has received a PETA award for its promotion of restorative eating, and its homemade teriyaki sauce is a sensation.......but don't it from us - go to our Facebook page to see what our regulars have to say.
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We didn't really enjoy our first trip to Moshimo. My partner wanted to try sushi, having been converted by M&S with their sushi tray. So we invited friends to try it out with us. I've been to Japan some years ago and tried it there and, while I found most of it edible, it never quite got me as fantastic food. And I think I had the same result at Moshimo.

The restaurant was very full when we arrived and we were shown to our table very quickly. It was at the end of the bar next to the conveyor which was handy. But once we had sat down we noticed we were on our own so to speak. No waiters nearby. No help with menu or protocol. And we felt out of place quite quickly.

We perused the very grubby and sticky laminated menus for a while and tried to guess what was passing us on the conveyor. After some time a 'beautiful boy' (according to one of our party) came along to take our drinks order. We tried to get him to engage with us and help us out but, although he could identify many of the dishes passing us by, he was unable to enthuse us or recommend dishes for us. So we dipped our toes into the conveyor dishes (figuratively speaking) and tried out what looked familiar.

We tried a number of different maki and a couple of us tested out the tuna, salmon and shrimp nikiri. The biggest success was one of the tuna sashimi dishes, but we didn't really understand what we were eating and a couple of us were very wary of the raw fish. Then we started to branch out and try the unfamiliar. Disaster. Everything after that was a real disappointment. The spinach dish, the tofu, the temaki set and miso soup. Eventually we decided to cut our losses. We asked for the bill, paid up and headed elsewhere for something that we could recognise and enjoyed eating.

Maybe sushi and Japanese food in general is not for us.

There are newer reviews for Moshimo

Reviewed January 16, 2013

This sushi restaurant may have a great set of ethics regarding some of their supplies but if the end result is terrible then what's the point.

I liked the way this restaurant has been done: a good range of seating depending on group size and lots of seats along the bar in front of the chefs (my favourite). The staff were attentive and good at making sure people were being looked after (although with only 15 customers this shouldn't have been too hard). So far, so good. I loved the super heavy tea pot they brought my green tea in too.

However, the sushi was bad. Really bad. I ordered a small platter with four pieces of nigiri, two large roll sections and four small roll sections. The first thing that always hits me is the temperature of the sushi. Everything on my plate was at a below normal fridge temperature and normally I would be grumbling about this as none of the tastes are fully released. However, those tastes that were identifiable were generally bland and one piece of fish tasted as though it was rotting. The vegetable roll was vile. The only saving grace was that the tuna nigiri was ok. The rolls looked nice too. I specifically ordered a mixed plate of items to avoid those Yo Sushi-esque rotating dishes, yet the nigiri pieces were still too small, the fish discoloured and the taste far, far, far from how maguro (tuna nigiri) or sake (salmon nigiri).

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We first went here as a large group in September 2012 and the evening was quite successful with some great food at a good price. Unfortunately our recent experience has left me far from impressed with this restaurant.

We popped in about 2pm on Monday hoping for some lovely sushi, we first asked to be seated at the conveyor belt, so that we could pick our items as they went by, but due to all other customers having been seated with a space between parties there was no space for 2 of us. We were then directed to a table that was no attached to the conveyor belt, we decided to peruse the menu and see what else took our fancy. Unfortunately the taste for sushi was still firmly there and whilst we could have ordered this from the menu we really wanted to be able to pick and choose each dish as our mood took us, without having to leave the table and walk the 5 metres (I know it doesn't sound much but not the best wayt to dine!). We asked the waitress whether we could move to one of two vacant tables that are next to the conveyor belt. We were told that at this time of day groups of just two had to be seated at the individual tables. I was a little put out, it was after 2 on a week day when most of the schools have gone back, how busy did the expect it to get? It wasn't like we were asking for the only table either, there were 2 vacant and another group was about to leave.

We went back to looking at the menu when I then noticed that a couple, yes just two people, were dining on their own at one of the tables next to the conveyor belt! Given that we'd just been told we couldn't be seated there due to size of our party I was confused. My husband attracted the attention of another waitress to ask again if we could be moved given there were 2 empty tables and one couple had already been seated there. We advised her the other waitress had already said no, she seemed taken aback by this but said she'd have to go and ask her. At this point we were feeling like second rate customers who weren't welcome and decided to leave.

We then had a thoroughly enjoyable meal at the Giggling Squid where an individual plate of Vegetable Tempura (part of the £6.50 2 dish meal combo) was more that we had received for the Vegetable Tempura Platter, meant to be shared between 2, when we ordered this at Moshi Moshi back in September for nearly £12.

opt0203, Owner at Moshimo, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

We are sorry to hear that you decided not to stay, Monday is a very busy day for us and in general there is no gap in the flow of customers throughout the day, so although not very obvious the high volume of customers would have continued .
Moshimo Madness Monday's are one of the members days !
As a rule, we always allocate a certain number of booths for parties of 2 , but once this allocation is fulfilled it is impossible for us to allow these tables to be taken up by anything less than 3's or 4's as we only have 9 booths in total for seating larger parties.
On the day you visited as with all days, one person would have been responsible for seating guests, i would think that person is the one who originally told you that there was no space available at the booths seating and regardless of people leaving, I am sure they where aware of what control they where implementing on seating to have been able to say it was not possible to move. Please be assured , you where in no manner being singled out for any unfair treatment.
Hopefully we will see you again at Moshimo, and once again our apologies at any confusions caused.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Some of the waiters (note, not waitresses) were really friendly. The sushi was pretty good, but I have had better. Good enough. The ox tail stew was really worth it though. The interior is quite nice and the location is pretty good, just behind the Thistle.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

This restaurant not only looks great but the food is fantastic! As a sushi junkie it's my ideal place but even for sushi beginners it's a great place to learn. Opt to sit at the bar choosing dishes from the revolving conveyor belt or dine a la carte with some advice from the staff. There is an outdoor area which would be great in the summer months to sip sake and watch the world go by.