“Birthday Lunch”

Ranked #8 of 1,168 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: In Norfolk Square, The Gingerman Restaurant has a small, intimate dining room and a superb menu of modern British cuisine made with fresh, local produce. Full of unique character, the stylish restaurant possesses a great reputation within the city. With intimate lighting and simple wooden furnishings, this Brighton eatery has a warm, cosy ambience. The delicious dishes from the seasonal gourmet menu include slow roasted pork belly with creamy mash, cumin spiced lamb rack with black cardamom puree and coconut chutney or pig cheek ravioli with saffron jus. A classy list of wines and premium champagnes will complement your meal. Gingerman restaurant offers smart, unpretentious dining in vibrant Brighton.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

As it was my partners birthday & we were visiting Brighton I wanted to book a restaurant that offered something a bit more up market & elegant than the places we usually go in Brighton. Having looked at the favourable reviews I decided to book a table for lunch. The restaturant is a little off the beaten track but is still easy enough to find. It wasn't very full when we were there but this did nothing to temper our enjoyment of the food that was presented to us over the next hour or so! We both skipped starters but were stlll presented with an amuse bouche of butternut squash soup with pistacio nuts which was lush & some bread. For mains my partner had roast suckling pig belly pork with mash & carmalised apple & I had grilled rye bay plaice with haricot bean cassoulet & prawn biscue which were both beatufully presented & tasted gorgeous - all washed down with a couple of glasses of Sauvignon wine. For desert we both went for a galangal creme brulee which was very light & delicious. The choices on the lunch time specials menu may be limited (2 per course) but don't let this put you off the this ever changing menu which at 2 courses for £15 each (3 courses £18 each) along with the quality of food served & the great service represents great value (you could have chosen off the full menu if desired) - this restaurant therefore comes highly recommended.

1  Thank Antony_Toop
There are newer reviews for Gingerman

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Booked out for the evening we were happy to be able to get a last minute booking for lunch on Saturday.
We had starters and main course and sadly too full to try one of the yummy looking desserts.
The dishes we had were really delicious. My partner thought the razor clam was a little too sparing with the razor clam but otherwise we loved our meal.
The service was great.
We'll be back

Reviewed August 10, 2013

My wife and were celebrating our anniversary - having eaten at all the ginger restaurants and this being our favourite, it was an obvious choice.

My wife had the quail salad for her starter, which was delicious. I ordered the frogs legs and was disappointed to only get one leg, cut in half (I.e. two pieces). This was a huge disappointment.

For our mains my wife ordered the spiced monkfish, with a few Indian inspired elements, which was lovely.

For my main, I pushed the boat out and decided to have the fillet steak. When I asked how big it would be, I was advised 'it depends how cooked you want it' - factually correct of course - but really the answer I was looking for.

When the meal arrived, the steak (which I ordered rare) was tiny, more a medallion than what I was expecting (especially with a £6 supplement). The potatoes were actually in the singular and the one was cut in half. But I guess it was ample for the amount of steak received.

At this point I had had two courses and was contemplating the prospect of having to buy some food on the way home? And certainly regretting my choice of food, as my wife was thoroughly happy with her choices.

For dessert we both ordered the soufflé which was a tour de force - absolutely sensational - and I would recommend it to everyone.

On balance, my wife was thrilled and I was left wanting on two of the three dishes I had.

To put a bit of context around this, I am not an eat as much you can kind of person, but if I order a steak - with the biggest supplement on the menu - I would like to see an appropriate portion on my plate.

Is it time to drop the x for two courses and y for 3 course and actually set a price for each dish, thus meaning that you don't have to bit tight with the expensive dishes?

2  Thank JWilliams2013
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I went here for dinner with my wife and another couple on a Saturday evening.

Reasonably intimate with only enough covers for about 30 people.
Excellent food, service and atmosphere. Easy to locate.
I would highly recommend.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is a very small restaurant so book well in advance. The food and service were both brilliant we enjoyed every minute of the experience.