Review of Gingerman

Ranked #7 of 1,207 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: In Norfolk Square, The Gingerman Restaurant has a small, intimate dining room and a superb menu of modern British cuisine made with fresh, local produce. Full of unique character, the stylish restaurant possesses a great reputation within the city. With intimate lighting and simple wooden furnishings, this Brighton eatery has a warm, cosy ambience. The delicious dishes from the seasonal gourmet menu include slow roasted pork belly with creamy mash, cumin spiced lamb rack with black cardamom puree and coconut chutney or pig cheek ravioli with saffron jus. A classy list of wines and premium champagnes will complement your meal. Gingerman restaurant offers smart, unpretentious dining in vibrant Brighton.
Reviewed October 8, 2012

It was Rachels birthday so it was time to visit one of our favourite Brighton restaurants The Gingerman in Norfolk Square. Instead of going for our usual evening booking I opted for a sunday lunch, after a previous evening of friends and curry at our house, a good old roast would finish the celebrations off nicely.

We arrived to a full restaurant, its small and intimate so the atmosphere was nice and buzzy.

A quick look around at the other tables got our juices going nicely, so food and wine ordered we waited eagerly and I kept my fingers crossd that the beef that we had ordered would be medium rare. Rachel isnt a woman to be crossed if there isnt blood oozing from the meat course.

The amuse-bouche arrived, an expresso cup of delicious squash and ginger soup, followed by some warm bread that you carve at the table. The cab sav was going down a treat now for the starters.

There was only one mushroom ravioli left, so the birthday girl claimed birthday rights on that, so I plumped for the salmon with dill, shallots and a potato blini. The salmon was thickly cut and the wholedish nicely balanced. The empty clean bowl on the opposite side of the table would suggest that the mushroom ravioli hit the spot too.

The beef arrived and we were not disappointed. The red wine gravy pulled everything together. the beef, medium rare with just the right amount of yellow fat to give the taste buds a treat and the accompanying vegetables nicely cooked.

The Cab Sav was nearing its end and the beef had, so onto desert. I plumped for the cherry tart with cherry ripple icecream washed down with a dark muscat.

The Ginger man had delivered again, the food and service are both excellent. I think theres something in keeping restaurants small, you can control the food quality a lot better and because its intimate theres alsways a good atmosphere. I think The Gingerman offers really good value for money as well and in these days were every penny spent is considered, I would have no problem recommending The Gingerman to everyone.

Go on spoil yourself.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Very good reviews on Trip Advisor and proximity to our hotel led us to this Restaurant. We thought it was a really pleasant atmosphere and the food was exceptional and not overexpensive. The cost was similar to a much less good Restaurant we went to the following night

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Returned to the Ginger Man for lunch today,after an absence of perhaps 18months or so,only to find that it is just as good now, as it was then.Not only that, but we had the most delightful waitress to look after our every need,Faye,a real find in the personality stakes.Now on to the food,and what a treat, was that!The lunch menu is a steal at the price,for the quality and detail involved.All three of us started with the pork belly,some of the tastiest iv'e eaten and cooked to perfection.My lady companions both had the haddock,whilst I tucked into a small,but perfectly formed Venison Pie.I could have eaten more,but that's more to do with greed than necessity!Veg was a little sparse,but what it lacked in quantity it made up for in taste.The dessert,chosen by all three of us was a chocolate marquise.Good, but just lacking in complicated flavour,and rather over dusted with icing sugar?Bye the way, I had forgotten how wonderful the small loaves of bread they bring you to start were,so that was a real plus.I would highly recommend this place for an intimate lunch or dinner,the service is great but not stuffy,the interior is simple but cosy,and the food very good indeed.Plus the wine list inexpensive and well chosen,and of course not forgetting the attentive Faye!

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Excellent food and great service - we were a table of 8 but that made no difference to the quality of service received - first class.

1  Thank Helen H
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Gingerman is the first of now 4 restaurants and I would happily go to any of them!!! Great for fish or if you like a nice stak which is what I usually order!!

1  Thank romanchicks