“Alcampo Lounge”

Alcampo Lounge
Ranked #384 of 1,209 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Bar, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Alcampo Lounge is an informal, neighbourhood food led cafe/bar open all-day everyday where families, friends, and locals can come for a coffee, a drink, or something to eat in a relaxed comfortable environment.
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Been twice. First time I went to the bathroom to find my drink had been taken away. I had left my coat so I thought that they'd realise I was still there. Second time was with friends. Bar staff were surly and lacking people skills which didn't impress me. Food was a tad overpriced and again member of staff tried to swipe two drinks from the table whilst we were sitting there and the glasses were clearly not empty!!

1  Thank Scarlet M
Andy F, General Manager at Alcampo Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Hi Scarlet M,
I appreciate you leaving us your feedback. Happy to see you've tried us out a couple of times & hope you've enjoyed the Lounge itself? We all absolutely love it!
Sorry to hear that my team, hopefully in their eagerness & enthusiasm in keeping the Lounge looking clean & tidy cleared your drinks away whilst you were not at the table! Since reading this review we have fed this back to all team members to be a little bit more vigilant of when tables are not in use and when they indeed are!
My team are still learning daily, so sometimes, you're absolutely spot on, a little bit of their sparkle and personality gets lost in trying not to make mistakes which we are working on improving for the very near future.
Hope to see you again and thanks again for taking the time to leave your review.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Seeing London Road improve dramatically (and continue to show such promise), some friends and I decided to pop into Alcampo to sample their much advertised breakfasts. We were left impressed.
While the food itself needs a couple of tweaks here and there (the eggs definitely need improving), we enjoyed the Lounge breakfast (a bargain at £6.95), and the triple stacked pancakes in both varieties (even more of a bargain at £5.95!) overall.

I then went back that eve with different friends for a drink. The beers on tap are very impressive, and a little out of the norm, but the atmosphere was strangely lacking, with a very broad crowd, and when the bell rang for last orders are quarter to 11, we were VERY surprised. Hoping this is going to change, as they need a later license really.

The decor is...shabby chic (at best!)...and the staff are eager and disinterested in equal measures...there is definitely room for improvement, but it shows great promise, and is a large part to the start of the London Road improvements. Fingers crossed for the future.

1  Thank MrVilliers
Andy F, General Manager at Alcampo Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Hi Mr Villiers,
Thanks so much for giving us your feedback.
Very happy to hear that you love the lounge as much as all of us do and that you feel we are indeed value for money. Jason our Head Chef, is working daily with his team to keep up the already high standards of food quality that we set to ensure every item (especially our Lounge eggs!) leaves the kitchen perfect every time!
We all would love to be able to stay open longer and later to keep on serving our guests so that you don't have to move your evening on to somewhere else but unfortunately we do only have a license until 11pm for the foreseeable future.
Team training is on-going and hopefully you will see the improvements first hand when you next pop in & visit us.
Thanks again for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

This place hasn't been open long and I've been a couple of times to try it out.... I went with friends on a weekend day and ordered the same things both times.

Pros: the place itself is fab. I love the interior and it's a comfy place to spend an afternoon - I've never felt rushed. Drinks tend to be served quickly. Good range of food and drinks on the menu and the atmosphere is great. Staff are friendly.

Cons: the wait for food was unacceptable, really, ... over an hour both times. But we played board games and chatted and it didn't seem so long. Still, not ideal. Could be down to teething problems?!
We were warned about a long wait today but decided we weren't in a hurry and we'd relax and wait. However, when the food arrived I was not impressed... portions were smaller than last time and my breakfast was missing hash browns! The sausage tasted really gross and was badly undercooked. Disappointing :( We offered a free dessert to compensate, which was yummy but I really would have preferred my breakfast to be complete, good value for money (like last time) and cooked!

Numerous other people were also complaining.

Anyway, this place has great potential and I enjoy spending time there.... hopefully the issues above will be ironed out over time...

2  Thank TravelPlugster

Hi TravelPlugster,
I appreciate the time you've taken in leaving us a review. Very happy that you've got to visit us at Alcampo a few times now and that on the whole you've enjoyed your lounge experience.
Thanks for the kind words about my team and the service you have received at the bar! This is what we strive for every day.
Apologies for the long wait on food you had to experience though and we are working together as a team to improve on this to ensure every one of our guests leaves happy and with full bellies!
We have had an exceptionally busy opening and you're spot on that there has been some "teething" issues that we are hopefully moving in the right direction to iron these out.
Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Went for breakfast. Place looks amazing. Breakfast very disappointing. It wasn't worth what we paid. Coffee was weak, bacon watery, toast barely seen the toaster. There was a horrible sausage patty. Service at bar was unwelcoming and charmless. Food was delivered well though and the Polish waitress was excellent. Maybe it's because it was new. I hope they get their act together.

2  Thank Bohemia1019

Hi Bohemia1019,
Thanks for your feedback. I'm very happy you love the look of our lounge....... We love it also!
I'm sorry to hear you weren't so pleased with the food quality and bar service you received. It is an on going mission to improve the already high standards of service and food quality that we expect for our guests.
I hope that you give us another chance to prove that these improvements are in place and that you get to enjoy the lounge as much as all of us do!
Thanks again for taking the time to leave your review

Reviewed March 18, 2014

This just opened this past week and it still had some kinks to work out. The meal was good I had a lounge burger and my husband enjoyed a steak sandwich. We were recommended some great cocktails and I have to say the cherry bakewell cocktail was delicious. We had originally looked at this as a brunch option but decided to head there for dinner, we then went the next morning to try the brunch. The service and time for food to come was longer than we would have liked but again it had just opened so I will rack it up to just teething issues. It is a big place so and they have the ability to seat both large and small parties. My burger with chips was under £10 which was amazing. All together our bill with two mains, a beer and a cocktail was under £30. Good Value

Andy F, General Manager at Alcampo Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

Hi MeghanNook,
Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback..
Your absolutely spot on about the opening kinks, we're working hard to sort them out!
I'm really happy that you found our service friendly, its what we aim for. Apologies for the longer wait on the food, I am working closely with Jason my Head Chef to bring these down. We've had a great opening, been really busy and I love the fact that you've taken the time to write your review.

Hope to see you soon.