“Hotel Una Rocked It!”

Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Mountain View, California
“Hotel Una Rocked It!”
Reviewed May 25, 2009

I booked the Jubba suite at the Hotel Una solely based on the reviews that I read here on Tripadvisor. I have to admit that I was a little nervous at first, as I usually stay at more well known properties (e.g. Four Seasons, Claridges, Mandarin Oriental, etc). However, I can say without a doubt that all the positive reviews really hit the nail on the head. I had a totally awesome five day stay at the Una. My room was very clean, well put together, up to date, and very comfortable. The included breakfast was always freshly prepared and the coffee was very good.

But I will say that the staff at the hotel are definitely its crown jewel. They are super friendly, will go out of their way to make sure you are happy, and will make every effort to ensure you are completely welcome. I do want to give a special shout out to Coco who runs the bar (besides doing many other jobs). He is a total rock star and I had a blast hanging out at the bar with him and the other folks at the hotel. (Coco, if you read this, I'm totally jamming on Reason, and I got myself a bottle of the rum you recommended, plus tell Emma(sp?) that I'm still thinking of posting the video to YouTube)

Bottom line: If you are planning on staying in Brighton, especially for a romantic getaway, then look no further than the Hotel Una.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Derbyshire, England
Reviewed May 13, 2009

Hotel Una lived up to its expectations, the staff were really helpful - nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast was perfectly cooked, and the fruit salad was a work of art.
The bed was comfy too.

15 minutes walk to the station, and we were fairly close to everything else in Brighton. If you wanted to take a bus, these went at the top of the street too.

Niggles about the room were the shower in the bedroom, which took away a lot of valuable space, and a shelf above the bed which meant that you couldn't sit up in bed and read.

Eco worries - great to see Led lights, but stand-bys on 2 tvs in the room more than took away any gains, and the towels were changed daily when there is really no need...

Would stay again if in brighton again.

Cotswolds, UK
Reviewed May 11, 2009

Recently returned from a weekend in Brighton with my wife. We stayed at the Una in the Gaula room. I can only mirror what most other reviewers have said with regard to the standard of service, it really is excellent and the hotel should be very proud of the quality of the employees. My only small gripe would be the quality of the bathroom in the Gaula room, it is a little tired and in need of some attention. Other than that I thought that the hotel was first class and would definately recommend it to friends and would stay there again if we return to Brighton.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2009

Stayed in Vedea for our 5th anniversary and it was perfect: beautifully decorated, spotless, quiet and extremely comfortable (and good value). The staff were extremely helpful and friendy, the bar was a perfect place to chill out (great cocktails too), they do an excellent veggie breakfast and the location was ideal. A lot of trouble has gone into making the Una a perfect boutique hotel and it really made our weekend. Deservedly number one.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Leeds
Reviewed May 8, 2009

If you like really good efficient personal service, friendly staff who go the extra mile to help, good quality comfortable rooms with a large helping of style and flair, large non greasy full breakfasts, a cocktail bar with someone to help and advise, and a feeling that the customer is absolutely their number one priority, then you will love Hotel Una!

It's well located if you like a walk to the shops and restaurants, and it's just off the main road, so a good location without the noise. We arrived at 07:30 after an overnight flight from Antigua and althought we were only expecting to drop our bags off and come back later for our checkin (we had booked) the owner immediately found us a room, and offered to upgrade us for free, and gave us the most wonderful cooked breakfast. Now that's decision making and personal service.
All the staff act as if the hotel were theirs. Now that's something I haven't seen in a long time. Well done Hotel Una, we will be back!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Bedfordshire
Reviewed April 23, 2009

I am so pleased I picked this hotel, it seems to be the best of the bunch in Brighton. We stayed in the Danube room, which is so bright and airy thanks to the high ceilings and wall-to ceiling sash windows. The staff were friendly and helpful without exception, and the cooked breakfasts were a treat.

Just a couple of niggles if I'm being really picky:
- There is no shower in the Danube room, just a shower attachment which you have to hold over yourself whilst in the roll-top bath. Whilst totally luxurious and beautiful, the bath takes an age to fill due to the water pressure, so don't be expecting to have a quick freshen-up before heading out.
-I am a light sleeper, and so was kept awake much of the Saturday night with the noise of groups coming home throughout the night. That said, I would definitely choose to stay at this hotel again, but would perhaps choose a room at the rear of the building instead.

I also visited the Hotel Du Vin whilst in Brighton, and whilst Hotel Una might lack the buzzy hotel vibe of the Du Vin, it does have a charm of its own and probably represents better value overall.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank H0lidayhead
Chichester, England
Reviewed April 18, 2009

I stayed here with friends. I stayed in Gaula and my friends stayed in Lossie.
My friend gave Lossie only 9/10 as she said the shower was a bit weak. I didn't try the shower in Gaula but had a VERY slow to run bath, so I am guessing there area some water pressure issues. I can live with it!!
I think what stood out for me was the service which is everything I would hope for. Friendly but not smothering, efficient but not impersonal. Everything was guaged just right and every member of staff seemed to be genuinely happy - that in itself is priceless.
The bar was very pleasant although I can't imagine settling in their for the evening. Lots of creative little touches about the place make it feel really friendly and homely while still being chic.
I was very happy with my room, and nice to see little touches like fair trade items on the tea/coffee table, interesting fruit teas and molten brown goodies.
The bed itself was a real treat - proper comfortable mattress with gorgeous shnuggly duvet and pillows.
I really liked the decor which was individual without being pretentious and lots of lovely warm wood about the place. Everything felt light and clean.
Breakfast was superb. Even the fruit salad had been lovingly prepared and was not just apples and grapes! The bread was yummy and I opted for scrambled egg and bacon which was generous and tasty. A really stand out thing for me, was fresh mint in my mint tea. Yes, I know it is not that big a deal but that kind of thing which is so above and beyond what is expected stands out.
The chap who mostly dealt with us was charming, helpful and friendly - what more can you ask.
I have stayed in Blanch House (rubbish) and Myhotel (funky but not personal)
I will never stay anywhere else in Brighton!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends