“The John Lewis of small hotels”
Review of Hotel Una

Hotel Una
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed May 8, 2009

If you like really good efficient personal service, friendly staff who go the extra mile to help, good quality comfortable rooms with a large helping of style and flair, large non greasy full breakfasts, a cocktail bar with someone to help and advise, and a feeling that the customer is absolutely their number one priority, then you will love Hotel Una!

It's well located if you like a walk to the shops and restaurants, and it's just off the main road, so a good location without the noise. We arrived at 07:30 after an overnight flight from Antigua and althought we were only expecting to drop our bags off and come back later for our checkin (we had booked) the owner immediately found us a room, and offered to upgrade us for free, and gave us the most wonderful cooked breakfast. Now that's decision making and personal service.
All the staff act as if the hotel were theirs. Now that's something I haven't seen in a long time. Well done Hotel Una, we will be back!

Reviewed April 23, 2009

I am so pleased I picked this hotel, it seems to be the best of the bunch in Brighton. We stayed in the Danube room, which is so bright and airy thanks to the high ceilings and wall-to ceiling sash windows. The staff were friendly and helpful without exception, and the cooked breakfasts were a treat.

Just a couple of niggles if I'm being really picky:
- There is no shower in the Danube room, just a shower attachment which you have to hold over yourself whilst in the roll-top bath. Whilst totally luxurious and beautiful, the bath takes an age to fill due to the water pressure, so don't be expecting to have a quick freshen-up before heading out.
-I am a light sleeper, and so was kept awake much of the Saturday night with the noise of groups coming home throughout the night. That said, I would definitely choose to stay at this hotel again, but would perhaps choose a room at the rear of the building instead.

I also visited the Hotel Du Vin whilst in Brighton, and whilst Hotel Una might lack the buzzy hotel vibe of the Du Vin, it does have a charm of its own and probably represents better value overall.

1  Thank H0lidayhead
Reviewed April 18, 2009

I stayed here with friends. I stayed in Gaula and my friends stayed in Lossie.
My friend gave Lossie only 9/10 as she said the shower was a bit weak. I didn't try the shower in Gaula but had a VERY slow to run bath, so I am guessing there area some water pressure issues. I can live with it!!
I think what stood out for me was the service which is everything I would hope for. Friendly but not smothering, efficient but not impersonal. Everything was guaged just right and every member of staff seemed to be genuinely happy - that in itself is priceless.
The bar was very pleasant although I can't imagine settling in their for the evening. Lots of creative little touches about the place make it feel really friendly and homely while still being chic.
I was very happy with my room, and nice to see little touches like fair trade items on the tea/coffee table, interesting fruit teas and molten brown goodies.
The bed itself was a real treat - proper comfortable mattress with gorgeous shnuggly duvet and pillows.
I really liked the decor which was individual without being pretentious and lots of lovely warm wood about the place. Everything felt light and clean.
Breakfast was superb. Even the fruit salad had been lovingly prepared and was not just apples and grapes! The bread was yummy and I opted for scrambled egg and bacon which was generous and tasty. A really stand out thing for me, was fresh mint in my mint tea. Yes, I know it is not that big a deal but that kind of thing which is so above and beyond what is expected stands out.
The chap who mostly dealt with us was charming, helpful and friendly - what more can you ask.
I have stayed in Blanch House (rubbish) and Myhotel (funky but not personal)
I will never stay anywhere else in Brighton!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank moleyandratty
Reviewed April 17, 2009

I surprised my wife with a three day trip to Brighton for her birthday, after a lot of research I picked Una and couldn't have been happier. From the first phone conversation I had in trying to pick the right room where they even emailed me sets of pictures so I could choose to the moment we checked out the staff couldn't do more to help our stay, they were always friendly, warm and did everything they could to make us comfortable.

We stayed in one of the front facing suites with a beautiful bath in the corner of the bedroom and a fantastic leather sofa, as well as a balcony facing regency square and out to sea. The room was immaculate, bright and airy with amazing high ceilings and features. The whole hotel was beautifully finished with great lighting throughout and was always a pleasure to return to after a day out.

The location was perfect, Una was within minutes of the main shopping areas, restaurants and the lanes, we left the car parked (£12 per 24 hours, underground car park right outside the hotel) and didn't need it once.

We'll definitely be going back the first time we get a chance.

Reviewed April 17, 2009

The Una was an ideal base for our our weekend away in Brighton. Room (Neris) very comfortable and well appointed, staff friendly and helpful, good breakfast; this hotel is ideally positioned for the town centre. We'll be coming back

Reviewed April 12, 2009

My view is slightly different to that of the other reviewers. They rate this hotel as a quirky boutique hotel. My experience is of a modern and well run bed and breakfast. The reason for the difference is that I stayed in a (very) small single room - Henares. This is the hotel's smallest single room and is charged accordingly (£55/night). As such, this is very much of an upmarket B&B experience (rather than the bigger rooms which give you a boutique hotel experience - and are charged accordingly)

Room itself - small (no room to leave my suitcase on the floor), but clean (and I'm very fussy about cleanliness). Style is modern - so wooden floorboards, light room, but no view. Quite quiet as faced the rear. Carefully thought out with the limited space well used. For example, despite the small space, there is a small "airlock" or anteroom between the landing and the room; the doors are heavy and solid. This limits the noise from people going up and down the stairs, although it does make the room a little smaller. Definitely a worthwhile sacrifice - very thoughtful). Internet cable and access point in the room (free).

Breakfast was excellent (eggs benedict, scrambled eggs or cooked English breakfast with toast, some fresh fruit etc).

Startlingly helpful staff. The chap on the front desk was from Bulgaria, the girl from Italy. Nothing was too much trouble. They were friendly, helpful and approachable. I had presumed that they owned the hotel as they took such pride in the hotel. Actually, they're employed by the owners - a Bosnian architect and his wife (whom I read is an interior designer). Location is excellent in terms of being a tourist. There's a Guardian article on the hotel.

Only downside is that the location is so good for tourists that you have to pay for parking. In 2009, it costs £12.50 for 24 hours with sliding charges below that. You simply need to factor this into your costs. There's a loading space outside the hotel which you can use to drop off your bags.

We were very kindly shown around into some of the other rooms. The Quaile suite on the top floor is stunning. The two rooms in the basement (Aragon & Belise) were fun in that they have a sauna but I didn't like the limited natural light (they're in the basement). For sheer atmosphere, Danube and Eden were most striking - large VERY airy rooms with these floor to ceiling windows. The rooms are priced accordingly.

Overall, would go back.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2009

Lovely helpful staff on arrival and gave us some fab recommendations for restaurants during our stay.
OUr room, Gaula was probably smaller that we imagined but the bed was comfortable with a big TV and DVD player. v,quiet and peaceful
The bathroom had high spec fittings and molton brown toiletries but could do with a bit of limescale removal!

The bar made us some excellent cocktails and breakfast was great as well.

We can also recommend the gingerman restaurant about 5 mins walk away