“Friendly hotel in the heart of Brighton!”
Review of Hotel Una

Hotel Una
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The hotel is of Regency Style in Regency Square, it looks out onto open green space, and is quiet because of it's location, but within easy walking distance of the coast road near the old West Pier. We chose it because it was nice and near The Brighton Centre, where we had booked to see a concert. The staff were really helpful and friendly. Breakfast only, is served in their restaurant, which was nicely laid out with a good choice, and quick efficient service. The room had a nice view. It had a bath in the corner of the room, which I personally find not a relaxing shape to lie in, also there was no where convenient to put your toiletries, it did have a heavy portable wooden screen you could use if you wanted. I will go there again, but next time I will ask for a shower...

1  Thank Lallie C
There are newer reviews for Hotel Una

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Una for 3 nights in August and loved it! Firstly, all the staff in this hotel are absolutely fantastic - very professional and polite, but also friendly and very accommodating - when we arrived exceedingly early on our check in day, the lovely guy on reception actually offered to drive us around Brighton to show us the sights, where to go etc - sorry, our fault we didn't get his name. Everyone seems to really enjoy working here and all are happy to 'go the extra mile', a real bonus for any stay in our book. We stayed in Danube, which is a really lovely room with a balcony. The weather was absolutely gorgeous so it was lovely to sit out and enjoy the sunshine. The room also has a stand-alone bath and a fab power shower. The bed was huge and one of the most comfortable we have ever slept in! However, if you have slightly creaking bones be aware - it's actually on a wooden platform on the floor so may be difficult for some people to get in and out of easily! The breakfast was lovely with a good selection and the bar area is fab - again, the staff here are fab! We really loved this hotel and would definitely be happy to recommend!

Room Tip: Danube and Eden have private balconies
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Stayed for three nights earlier this week and had a very mixed experience. There are many positives; first the staff are very helpful and really want to help. The breakfast is good, the bar is stylish, the towels are large and fluffy and the beds are comfortable.

However, we had to relocate from our first room (Usk) which was stylish but totally impractical. It is presented as a separate bedroom and sitting room, but there is not enough space to make this work. A large free standing bathtub did not compensate for a tiny lavatory and a minuscule sink which made shaving and cleaning teeth a challenge and there was insufficient space to get to the far side of the bed in the tiny bedroom.

The second room (Orinoco) was more spacious and practical, but also had problems; squeaky floorboards, noise from the street and a six inch high coffee table that blocked access to the tea making facilities.

Think twice before spending £150 a night b&b. Book here if you want style over substance. It's a pity, because the guests (and the staff) deserve better.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2013

What a find the hotel is perfect. We stayed in the Gaula room which was huge with fabulous high ceilings.It has all the amenities you would expect even a tv in the shower. The staff are very good as hosts and nothing was too much troouble.Tthere is an underground car park which you can use and it is secure and safe.The bar is very stylish with some amazing cocktails on offer.The breakfast was outstanding and everything was cooked to perfection and we didn't have to wait very long for it too arrive.
I will definately book to stay here again as it's away from the hussle and bussle of the tourists etc but close enough to walk into the lanes and the pier.

Room Tip: If you arrive after 4 o'clock the car park is half the price.
3  Thank Oskar75
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I have to second a recent reviewer. I do not know how this hotel got such high ratings. First of all, it is -- by the staff's own admission -- not a hotel but a bed and breakfast, with poorly acoustically insulated doors, floors, and walls. Know what you're getting into. At 3 am, I asked to be moved from my room because I could hear loud snoring coming from the adjacent room. I was put into the only other available room. At 7 am, I was woken up by the loud creaking floor boards in the room above me. With less than 4 hours of sleep, I was understandably upset. The staff did try to fix the problem. They offered to try to find me another hotel (an annoying solution at best). But I suggested that they put me on the top floor (where you can't hear other people's footsteps.) Eventually I was moved to a third room. Also there are a lot of drunk people in the wee hours yelling outside on weekends. To be fair, the rooms are cute, well located, and the breakfast quite nice, but hotels are chiefly for sleeping, and if you are a light sleeper or like your quiet, this hotel is not for you.

Room Tip: Top floor. Don't take the single room (too close to other rooms).
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank O M
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Took the Aragon room for the night after our wedding, unfortunately paid in advance because we would have refused after that night. The room smelled like cheese and feet, we sniffed it out to find a wooden tray that had been helpfully cleaned under and placed back on the wooden shelf whilst wet, and was now producing white mould. The receptionist tried his best to clean it but to no avail, it still smelled slightly iffy but we figured we'd stick with it since we really wanted that room.

We were THEN informed that the shower may or may not have hot water, since the previous couple had complained about it and it was supposed to be fixed; suffice to say it wasn't. So we were moved into the Belise room which was "of the same standard" and the staff couldn't imagine why we weren't impressed with having to move, because of said fact.

The Belise was nice and didn't smell, the jaccuzi was wonderful and the TV was great but it wasn't the room we'd chosen for our honeymoon night, at one point during the booking process the Aragon was fully booked and we decided not to stay there because we only wanted that room. But I digress.

The breakfast in bed thing sounded wonderful, but there was a tick box menu that we foolishly ticked each thing we wanted, turned out you could tick about one box out of all the choices, some being something simple as "mushrooms" or "toast". So breakfast was small but edible, left a sour taste in our mouths after the night we'd had.

Despite our best efforts to get the hotel staff to understand our displeasure, they insisted that "these things happen since the rooms are all unique" WHAT that had to do with anything was beyond me.

Overpriced and not recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank alunia_moon
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Hotel Una really is a very, very, lovely boutique hotel. The rooms are beautifully furnished - making excellent use of space, lighting etc.

The individuality of each room gives the hotel lots of character and is a perfect antidote to the sometimes soulless nature of larger chains.

My favourite thing,about this hotel though, has to be the friendly staff team. This was my second stay and I am now 100% sure that the good service I received on my first visit wasn't a fluke!

Great for breakfast...loved the Friday night tapas too. :-))

Will definitely be coming back here...I can't see myself rushing to stay anywhere else in Brighton.

• Stayed: August 2013