“Great boutique hotel with best customer service ever!”
Review of Hotel Una

Hotel Una
Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Lisbon, Portugal
“Great boutique hotel with best customer service ever!”
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Upon arrival we were given the opportunity to choose between the room we had booked (Gaula) or an upgrade to Jubba room. This was really a nice touch! After checking both rooms, and although Jubba was also a great room, with a fantastic separated living-room (and a massive sofa), we preferred to stay in the room we have booked (even if smaller), as we could watch the big TV from the bed. Afterwards, this was proven to have been the correct decision... In check-in we were given a Brighton map and the very friendly girl from the reception has given us several choices for having dinner. However, after sleeping the first night we were both infected by norovirus (it seems that it was an outbreak of that viral disease in the area) and the remaining 2 days in Brighton were spent in bed with fever, muscle pain, feeling weak and other unpleasant symptoms... So, we really spent much more time in the room than in a normal situation.
Staff was great! Nothing was too much trouble for them!! When they knew about our situation on one night they make sure that we had everything we needed and delivered to our room 2 big bottles (750ml) of water complimentary. We have seen many movies they had in the reception to loan (great service!) and that has helped us to consume the time spent in the room, that otherwise would have been very boring.
On the last night, when we were already feeling better (and we had enough of crackers and water!) we ask if it was possible to bring us some toasts and tea to our room, and this was done very promptly (even taking into account that the hotel does not have room service). In the check-out, we noticed that those were not charged in our bill and we were told that it was their pleasure and also complimentary! We were really impressed. It was not for the value (as it would have never be a fortune), but the gesture itself!
Some minor points that does not prevent of giving an excellent rate, though:
i) The window in the bathroom area without any blinds and the wood-blinds in the "balcony" does not prevent light to come in the room in the morning. There should be some extra curtains in those 2 places to assure that the room is completely dark in the morning.
ii) The hair-dryer was a bit damaged and only worked with too much hot temperature (the temperature control was not working properly).
iii) The shower glass screen was not wide enough from one side, and from the other side of the bathtub there wasn't any protection at all, so the result was the floor completely wet, as well as the wooden-stairs from the other side of the bathtub (even if we try to showering very carefully to avoid it, it was completely impossible!).
iv) The chaise-long had the wrong configuration for where it was in the room. Anyone lying-down would be facing the wall instead of the TV.
We will certainly go back to Brighton in the future, to visit the city and will certainly stay in Hotel Una!!! They definitely deserve to be in number 1 in TA: gorgeous rooms and very attentive and friendly staff!

Room Tip: Gaula room was very nice with a spacious bathroom. If you value a separated living-room with a big T...
2 Thank CIVOG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I'm a big fan of Brighton, and it's something of a Hotspot for conferences in my area. So it's with great pleasure that I return there every few years, and put simply there's no other choice. Una is the best hotel in Brighton. It's everything you want, boutique, personal, beautiful, unique. A truly excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Every room is unique, so I can't really offer much help. Santana was my most recent stay. Gorgeo...
2 Thank destraynor
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We actually stayed in 2010 but I didn't get round to writting a review. After staying in one of the worse hotels I have ever stayed in Hallmark hotel Bourenmouth I wrote my first review and thought I would write a review for the Una as both claim to be 4 star botique hotels the diffrence was astounding.

We really enjoyed our stay at Hotel Una lovley bathroom with good shower and lovley big deep bath and luxury toiletries. We came down for a conference however I was a bit ill on one of the days so decided to stay in the dvd loan was very much appreciated on this day we made good use of this service. loveley spacious room with good quality furnishings and linen.

We go to PCS conference every year and have stayed in a variety of hotels in Brighton. We have never stayed anywhere bad but Una was a cut above the rest, felt we were really made to feel welcome in a genuine way all of the staff were friendly, helpful and knowledgeble about the area.

The breakfast really was excellent I have found in the past when there are a few of you staying( in a smaller hotel where breakfast is cooked to order) there can be delays however breakfast was fresh, hot and quick and really, really tasty was nice to have eggs benadict on the menu too.

When we left I wouldn't tell people where we had stayed as I wanted to ensure I go a room the following year unfortunatly the secret got out as it was fully booked during the week we wanted to stay. I'll try again in 2012

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Lorna C
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2011

On arrival we were greeted and taken to our room which we felt was good service. We were informed on where to eat and told to use the phone in the room to ask for any assistance.
The actual room was very tidy and clean and was provided with bottled water, coffee and tea. There was a large tv and ipod dock also provided. The bed was covered with good linen and the towels provided were of equally good quality.
We were provided breakfast the next day in our room with no extra charge, this ws exceptional quality, the best I have had anywhere and was served by a very polite girl.

The points I feel obliged to point out include:

* The workmanship regarding the timber fittings and plumbing were quite poor. The window shutters do not close well which can be quite embarrassing if your dressing. The shower screen had not been thought through correctly and so spray from the shower was covering the floor. The tap to the basin was very loose. The general fitting of skirting boards and architrave was quite poor.
* There was no iron or ironing table provided but there was a hair dryer.
* The smoke detector had been covered up.

These are quite minor points and did just stop us for giving the hotel 5 stars as it was a very nice place, and the food and service was fantastic. I also had the price of the hotel in mind and so this reflects the stars also.
I would definitely recommend this hotel as would my partner.

Room Tip: We had the Orinoco room which was very good and had views of the courtyard, and the sea could be see...
1 Thank lorne s
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 6, 2011

My Husband and I have stayed at many places in brighton as it is such a great city to get away from everything, and I can say that Hotel Una is by far the best!

We stayed in Aragorn and Eden and both rooms while completely different were wonderful. spacious, beautifully designed, comfortable. the service was impeccable 24 hours a day. We recieved great reccommendations for restaurants and bars and were even supplied with great cocktails later in the night! They do incredible breakfasts and the little extras are well worth the money.

We will definately be back!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, just pick according to your needs and your budget!
2 Thank RebekkavandenBos
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I was taken here as a surprise birthday trip away by my boyfriend and absolutely loved it. We stayed in two rooms over two nights - Belice and Danube which were both individually decorated and furnished but also both really comfortable, modern and clean. Both rooms had their own selling points (amazing view, sauna, jacuzzi bath in room etc!) and nice touches like iPod docks and light dimmer switches, not to mention the designer toiletries, luxurious leather couches, and very decent sized TV's!

The 'reception' is pretty cosy but there's a waiting area and the staff are very friendly and accomodating (or discreet when required). There's a bar where you can have a drink - and they can make some decent cocktails too. There's also a breakfast area which is a good size - although you can request breakfast delivered to your room at no extra cost if preferred! The breakfasts are nice but pretty standard - cereal, porridge, toast, eggs benedict with salmon or ham etc.

Overall a really good stay and would definitely want to stay here again if I returned!

Room Tip: If staying as a romantic break, recommend the Belice suite
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank twoteesplease
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I checked out of Una hotel yesterday, after a brilliant bank holiday weekend with my girlfriend, my mate and his girlfriend. We all had a brilliant stay. We had the Gaula room and my mate had Quale. Both rooms were incredible! They were clean (I really like clean rooms) and spacious. The bed was also very comfortable. We had a TV in the bathroom and a very deep bath tub which was nice. And my mate had a cinema room, which was a nice touch for a fairly cold bank holiday weekend.

But what made the hotel really stand out for all of us was the brilliant service!! Every one who works at the hotel are just so lovely!

They arranged a vegan breakfast for my girlfriend, they lent us DVDs. They checked us in quickly, even though we got there a bit too early.

The thing that really drove me to writing a review on TA was the fact that they installed extra curtains for us. We went out on saturday night, but me and my girlfriend were woken up early by the sun coming through one of the windows. We asked the guy at the reception to see if he could do anything about it. When we went out on sunday evening, he called the owner down to the hotel and both of them installed temporary curtains in our room. They spent a couple of hours doing this on a sunday evening, just so we could sleep in a bit better. Thats how nice they are.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple