“Absolutely Fabulous....”

Grey's Hotel
Ranked #16 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
“Absolutely Fabulous....”
Reviewed March 31, 2008

Stayed in this absolute gem over the weekend and it was simply lovely - and my standards are high! When we arrived we were welcomed very warmly by Terry who couldn't be helpful enough, the hotel had lovely touches to make it feel warm and inviting.

We stayed in a standard double (room 3) which although not huge was spacious enough, tasefully and elegantly decorated - flat screen tv and tv/cd player, proper coffee machine and a fabulously comfortable bed. Much to our delight there were fluffy towels, bath robes and toiletries from the White Company. Most importantly it was spotlessly clean! Grey's is also in a great location - just a stone's throw from the front and a short walk to 'The Lanes'.

The shower was hot and powerful and breakfast was just divine. All in all a wonderful experience, I will definitely be returning here on my next trip to Brighton.

I must also recommend 2 restaurants we ate in the first was 'No Name' - amazing goats cheese salad and just a lovely 'living room' vibe, and the second 'Loves' for 'Posh' fish and chips - was truly divine (also recommend the butternut squash with honey and sesame seeds). Both on St James Street and a very short walk from Greys.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — having to leave
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank triffictotty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Reviewed March 25, 2008

We chose this hotel after a bit of internet searching and a great review on TripAdvisor.

My boyfriend and I stayed over Easter bank holiday and were extremely happy with our choice. We stayed in a superior double room which was very clean, much bigger than expected, warm and beautifully decorated.

Terry the owner was relaxed yet professional and very helpful recommending excellent restaurants and bars for us to try.

We couldn't fault Greys - the breakfast was delicious and the hotel was quiet and perfect for a relaxing weekend in Brighton. It is a 5 minute walk from the centre so well situated for everything we needed.

We will definitely be going back and would 100% recommend this to anyone needing a great b&b.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shall662
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2008

Just returned to London after a lovely couple of days at Greys. Terry is so welcoming and went out of his way to help with our smallest request.

Its situated in Kemptown - about ten minutes walk from the city centre (and the new pier, Lanes, and most of the touristy stuff) but benefits from being this little bit out of town, as I feel that the guesthouses in the centre are just too close to all the revelry on a Friday and Saturday night. This way you can have fun, but escape the loudness of all the hen and stag parties to your lovely, quiet location. It also has oblique sea views from the front rooms - and if you wonder down to the end of the road, you have hugely expansive views out to see.

We stayed in room 7 - one of the four poster rooms (the one with the green bedspread in the other pictures posted here), as recommended by Terry when I phoned up to enquire. It's lovely - huge, with a soft plush carpet, really great modern decoration, coffee machine, tv and dvd, and a nice shower/toilet en suite. Someone else mentioned that the rooms were cold - well this one wasn't, and we stayed during some of the coldest days we've had recently. On arrival it was a bit chilly, but we turned the radiator up and it was fine after that.

Another comment I saw was that the stairs were too much. Well this is the second highest floor in the building, and it was up four HALF flights of stairs - ie you go up one, turn round, then another, etc - rather than four full flights. And even though I am not at all fit it really didn't present a problem.

The breakfast was great - and Terry was flexible about the time we had it (I've stayed in Brighton before and been told incredibly specific times for breakfast. Grey's makes you feel a little less like a naughty schoolkid if you have a bit of a lie-in before your bacon and eggs) - continental buffet with juices etc, cooked brekky of your choice, and pastries if you can manage them (we couldn't!)

All in all, I think this has been really well thought out. Terry doesn't take hen and stag dos, to ensure the comfort of all of his guests, and has provided something a cut above your standard British seaside b&b. It's luxurious, comfortable, and so welcoming. We're househunting in Brighton at the moment, moving down from London, and will definitely be booking back in.

• Liked — Luxurious and individual
  • Disliked — Nothing
Reading, berks
Reviewed February 17, 2008

I've just returned from a weekend at Grey's with the other half for a joint birthday/anniversary celebration. We go to Brighton semi-regularly and have tried a number of different places in the past. Seeing the great Tripadvisor reviews we fancied giving Grey's a go and having stayed in Brightonwave last time we had a reasonable idea what to expect from the upmarket places springing up off St James Street (curious halfway houses between a B&B and a hotel).

What was it like? Well, a mixed bag. I think the previous reviews on Tripadvisor have it about right but are possibly a little too enthusiastic about a B&B which is almost, but not quite, there.

First of all, the good points of which there were many. The room - one of the deluxe rooms with a four-poster - was beautiful, very big indeed with loads of blinds letting in tons of sunlight. Lovely art on the walls and a gorgeous tasteful feature wall with very attractive wallpaper (something which, from a passing view of a couple of the other rooms, is echoed throughout).

Next, the bed. Well worth mentioning this in its own right - the bed was spacious, firm and incredibly comfortable. A nice thick duvet, good quality sheets, a pleasure to sleep in. Especially if you are woken up by the sun peeking through the Venetian blinds.

Another thing - the towels in the bathroom. In so many hotels these can be rough or the size of a postage stamp. These were big bath sheets and very plush - it makes such a difference when so many establishments cut corners in this area.

The breakfast was delicious. The breakfast room, in the basement, is again impeccably decorated with lilac wood panelling, tasteful wallpaper and beautiful natural lighting from the skylight overhead. And the breakfast is pretty good stuff too - a full English (with especially good marks for the tasty local bacon) or an extremely generous smoked salmon and scrambled eggs is more than enough to set you up for the day.

Last of all, Terry the proprietor is extremely good - friendly, helpful and everything all of the other reviews say he is. An excellent host who clearly takes a great deal of pride in his hotel.

So why isn't this a 5 star review? Well, there's the problem. For a place like this which is more an upmarket B&B than a hotel you really have to be top notch to charge the sort of prices you pay for a large room here. And Grey's is almost, but not quite there. It's frustrating. Some of the little touches you expect from a really good hotel are missing here.

First of all, some of the basics. The room was cold. And not for the want of trying - the radiators were on and hot, but this is a big old room with high ceilings, two not very big radiators and old sash windows. If you go in summer you'll no doubt find it lovely and cool but in winter this was no joke. It doesn't help that the bathroom had no form of heating whatsoever - not conducive to a luxurious shower.

The bathroom, again, just wasn't as high spec as the bedroom would lead you to expect. It was small with a slightly cramped and not very powerful shower. Moreover, there were only two halogen spots in the ceiling which meant it was really very dimly lit. All the White Company toiletries in the world aren't going to make a dark, cold bathroom inviting for anyone.

Again, the little touches were the problem - these especially have to be right in a B&B because you can't just call Reception to get them sorted out. Our toilet roll holder was sort of hanging off the wall, and we nearly ran out of loo roll more than once because it just wasn't replenished every day. Similarly, I'm not convinced about this trend of having a Senseo machine in the room. Give me a kettle, a couple of nice big mugs and some good quality tea bags any day. And a mini fridge with some fresh milk would be nice too. Not every hotel/B&B will do this, but one charging this kind of rate should.

There are other little things you notice. once you get in the frame of mind to notice things. The TV couldn’t pick up BBC1 or BBC2. There was only one bottle of tomato sauce and one bottle of HP to go around all the breakfast tables. No Earl Grey in the room. I know, they all sound little don’t they, but these little things make a big difference – especially if you’re aiming at the market I think Grey’s is going for.

So, all in all a mixed bag. I wanted to like Grey’s even more than I did, Terry was splendid and deserves to do well and I think the rating here reflects that. But to stay in the very top of the Tripadvisor ratings I think either the prices or the extras need to change.

• Liked — The decor - in the rooms and the communal area. Very very tasteful indeed. And the comfy bed!
  • Disliked — It was cold from start to finish, and the bathroom was small and very dark.
5 Thank miss-figgy
Bucks
Reviewed February 17, 2008

In Brighton for half marathon with my wife and our friends we plumped for "Greys Hotel" after trip advisor reviews, a great choice all round, lovely rooms, very modern and spotless, having seen a superior room I would pay the extra as it was huge, Terry the owner could not of been more helpful, letting us have breakfast early on race day and and full use of shower and room later after the race was fantastic even though we had checked out earlier, he gave great local advice including a fab brasserie in the heart of Kemptown "Kemp Brasserie" where the food was excellent. The breakfast at "Greys" was great and plentiful and next time we come to Brighton we would definitely stay here again.Only 1 minute from the seafront as well so perfect quiet location.Would also try out the "Thomas Kemp" pub as great vibrant atmosphere and lovely sunday roast.

A great weekend all round

• Liked — Very Clean and a personal friendly host
  • Disliked — Not having a bath in room
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
uk
Reviewed February 13, 2008

My husband and I stayed one night in Feb and had a nice stay. The room was smaller than I had expected but fine for one night. Everthing is very clean and tidy and the mini chocolate digestives were a nice touch to have with tea/coffee. The bed was spotless and comfortable. My only moan would be there were no
bedside lamps so if one of us wanted to read we would have had to keep main light on also no bedside table so had to balance the cuppa in the morning while sat in bed. Terry is the perfect host and he recommended a lovely Bistro just a 5 min walk along kemptown high st where we had a very good meal. I would definately staty again and the breakfast was excellent. One point parking outside is not always possible so bear this in mind if you have a car that you dont want to leave on the street parking around the corner.

• Liked — lovely decor and host
  • Disliked — no side lights or bedside table
2 Thank pattap
Reviewed February 12, 2008

My boyfriend and I booked 2 nights at Grey;s after reading the excellent reviews on this site. At £98/night, its not the cheapest place. That being said, I would be happy to stay there again.

Walked from the rail station (about 20 minutes). For some reason the sign outside the hotel isn't two-sided, so we walked down the street before we walked back up and found it. The street isn't long, so not a big deal. Just wondered why they wouldn't want the sign to be visible from both directions?

The room is very nicely decorated, and spotless. Bed was super comfortable, I wanted to take the duvet and sheets home!

Great location moments away from the beach and with loads of shops and restaurants nearby. Kemp town is very close and if I were to move to Brighton, that is definitely where I would want to live.

Only complaint was that on the Saturday, there was loads of noise outside. Woke us up in the middle of the night, I thought the windows were open at one point. Maybe another room would have been quieter... Slept much better on the Sunday though.

Breakfast was delicious. Tried the full English which was spot on and the bagel with smoked salmon (and cream cheese which I requested and which was graciously provided). Perfect.

Came back from a long weekend feeling truly relaxed and Grey;s Hotel had a large part to play in that.

• Liked — The feel of the room. Very clean and crips, perfect for a weekend trip
  • Disliked — The room we were in wasnt very soundproof
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank eliss_mo