“Sorry Five, it's a big thumbs down. Overpriced and misrepresented on your website.”
Review of Five Hotel

Five Hotel
Ranked #43 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We didn't have a great stay. The bedroom was ok if a bit shabby - it doesn't take much to replace a broken plug or to replace something that's slightly worn and for me Five lacked that attention to detail - the ensuite bathroom was pretty poor. So the shower had ok pressure and there were a few almost fancy shower gels. I've seen better bathrooms in youth hostels. It was cramped and cheap. Didn't see any photos of your bathrooms on the website, Five, wonder why ? Main point of contention is that when we booked we specifically asked if there was much noise from the other rooms and were told no. Okay, so we expected seagulls in Brighton - no big surprises there and a bit of noise from traffic no problem but we ddn't expect paper thin walls - noise from the people walking around in the room above really travelled and the sound of the sliding doors on the bathrooms that are presumably standard was clearly heard. No noise from the other rooms ? An honest answer would have been appreciated and we would have saved ourselves some money on what I think is an overpriced b & b. Admittedly we got unlucky with the guy in the room next to us who was particularly noisy and Five did say that they were going to address that ( ie, ask him to check out ). However when we checked out I just got the impression that they weren't really taking on board my complaint and were just a tad defensive about it. Breakfast wasn't great - I found the whole experience a bit fussy - not much room on the communal table etc and our host could have taken a step back rather than constantly hovering around. The night we checked in I did tell Five that I was vegan - to be honest I don't really expect the response of someone telling me where the nearest co-op is ! To be fair Five did offer the next morning to get anything in that I might want but they didn't seem to go to a huge effort. Breakfast was poor - I'd like to know how you manage to cook mushrooms ( not exactly difficult ) so that they absolutely no flavour whatsoever.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dek12
symes-five, Owner at Five Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2010

Thank you ladies, for taking the time to complete a review. We welcome comments both positive and negative and always take them on board. However we are a little mystifyed by your comments as they were not voiced during your stay. We are a family run Bed and Breakfast and pride ourselves on exemplary service and value for money, which all our guests appreciate. We tried in everyway to be very helpful to your special needs.
We would like to offer a response by quoting the review of another guest who was staying at the same time, titled 'paradise' - left on our booking website.
" A wondeful serene retreat in the middle of bustling brighton. Welcoming and couteous owners who always addressed me by my 1st name. The hotel was fresh and clean and the decoration simple and tasteful. My single ensuite , a little compact eyrie in the attic still felt spacoius due to careful design. Lying in bed with the morning sun streaming through the window was a treat, as was breakfast, fresh organic, local food served up by the wonderful owners"
We can only apologise that our location ( 1 minute from the sea), our rooms ( bay fronted seaview), our breakfast (specially prepared for you - organic field mushrooms sauted in nut oil, as well as fresh fruit,soya yoghurt, cereal, breads etc. ) and our attentive service were not to your taste. We are sorry other guests disturbed you , which we were unaware of until you mentioned it at check-out. Sadly you didn't enjoy the glass of champagne we arranged for you when dining at the top vegen restaurant 'terre a terre'. We understand £80 for a night for a weekend in July would seem expensive compared to your usual youthhostel. Our prices are very competive and comparable with all other in our seafront Square .
Many guests comment favourably on our website for its comprehensive information about us and the local. Along with common practise we have not included photos of ensuite shower rooms as they are decorated in the same way as the rooms and contain a shower,sink & loo with modern backlit mirror.
As you arrived too late to eat in local restaurants we suggested if you needed a snack our local co-op at the top of the road has an excellent range of vegan food and open late.
Best wishes Caroline and Simon

Reviewed July 10, 2010

We have returned from a short break to Brighton staying at Five - we go to Brighton 2 / 3 times a year & stay in the Brightonwave but we was unable to get in & I found FIVE & what a find.

Caroline the owner was realy helpfull & made you feel welcome & nothing was a chore,

The room was quite large & we had a seperate shower / toilet with all the lotions you need & more.There was tea/coffee facilitys in the room & the room was realy nice & clean & quite modern.It had a Ipod station tv / dvd player & there was films you could borrow from the lounge area.

The breakfast was amazing there was so much choice & if you wanted something else Caroline was more than happy to accomodate.

In all a first class hotel & the price was about right as it is Brighton.

We also found a fantastic restaurant SAMS Paston st which is about 10/15 min walk from the hotel in Kemp Town village - the food was the best I have had in Brighton & realy reasonable .

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2010

Besides the excelent service, I must note that in a difficult moment (crisis in the airport due to the vulcano ashes) the owners did not try to get any further profit and have done everything to support their customers to have a +pleasnat stay and to arrive to their origin countries. I'm much thankfull

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I have just returned from three nights at "Five". The stay was booked at short notice after a trip to Prague was cancelled because of the British Airways Strike.

The hotel is located within five minutes walk of the pier and less than a minute from the seafront.

The room we had was on the top floor, which is quite a climb if you are not very fit. But two middles aged people back from a twenty mile walk managed it without a problem! On the plus side we could see over neighbouring rooftops so, even though the room was at the back of the house we could have a limited view!

The room was exceptionally clean, but the showroom/toilet en suite was very cramped. There was also quite limited space for clothes. At one point the cover to the wall light fell off the wall. These were VERY minor niggles however. The bed was exceptionally comfy. Toiletries were provided and the flatscreen TV had a built in DVD player.

The breakfast was a real highlight - freshly squeezed orange juice and smoothies, fresh fruit salad, "home made" marmalade and a cooked breakfast to a scale I wish I could repeat at home. There were some lovely muffins that I wish I had room for - but I was stuffed. Also, the breakfast hours were less restrictive than at some similar sized hotels.

Our hosts were friendly and willingly offered to loan their books and ordnance survey maps for our walks.

I have stayed at a number of hotels in Brighton (some B&B and some chains) and this is definitely one of the best if not THE best overall.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2010

We have just returned from a weekend in Brighton with our 5 year old. It was hard to find a hotel that was happy to accommodate a small child but Five were very accommodating and very helpful. We all had a lovely break, the breakfasts were amazing (for all of us - my son has dairy allergies and they worked around this for us quickly and easily) the cleanliness throughout the hotel was absolutely superb. We felt that the location was perfect for us as well as very easy to walk to everywhere but a quiet enough location to stay in with a child and not feel overrun with stag/hen nights or the like. The only teeny tiny negative (if you were being fussy) was the shower room which was not newly refurbished (or recently even-1980's?) and quite small. It was absolutely spotlessly clean though and had a good working shower with good pressure so was more than fine for us. Well recomended overall - we will be back!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 2, 2010

when we researched 'boutique' hotels on the web, this one looked fantastic, however we were disappointed as we felt that the photographs did not give a true representation of the hotel.
positives - the owners are lovely poeple who gave us good recomendations for eating places etc
- breakfast was fantastic
- towels and bedding were good quality

negatives - our room was up 3 flights of stairs and was a bit tatty
-the bedside table was about 3 foot away from the bed - a nuisance when you want to turn off the bedside lamp!
-it may have been better for the owner not to mention the sea view as you had to stand on tiptoe at a very awkward angle to get a glimpse of the sea

Maybe the other rooms in the hotel are of a better quality and we were just unlucky but for the price we paid we were expecting a higher standard

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
symes-five, owner at Five Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2010

Thank you so much for your kind report. We are sorry you were a bit disappointed but we are not advertised as a boutique hotel , we are a family run georgian 4 storie townhouse. Our photos accurately represent our rooms and enviable position we have overlooking the sea. We are happy to announce that since you stayed nearly a year ago, the third floor has undergone refurbishment and now has fully tiled mosaic bathroom, 2 bedside tables with matching (crimson) bedside lights, (see photo on website) flatscreen tv/dvd with freeview. The seaview will always remain the same as it is at the rear of the house looking down to the sea with a glimpse of the pier. However our larger bay-windowed front rooms have a gorgeous view over our square to the open sea.

Reviewed February 2, 2010

I stayed at Five Hotel for two weeks, while doing research activity at the University of Sussex. The hotel location was perfect: I always could choose the sea-view or the street-life while walking to the bus station, every morning. The hotel is run by a really sweet couple who always made me feel at home. All the building was always extremely clean, sunny and fresh! The breakfast is really delicious (even if I am not such an English Breakfast "eater" I can say the juices, jams, fresh fruits and muffins were great). Defenitly a place to recommend!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business