“Incredible, awesome, unique & über-cool”
Review of BYOC Brighton

BYOC Brighton
Ranked #15 of 125 Nightlife in Brighton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: It's strange but prohibition in the United States during the 20s did great things for drinks and drinking culture. Bad tasting bathtub gins forced bartenders to find exciting new ways to flavour drinks and the police constantly on the prowl for bootlegged booze drove people underground, creating their own a secret world that celebrated the sharing of drinks and company. The speakeasy was born. At BYOC we strive to deliver everything that was great about the speakeasy without the danger of being busted by the coppers at any moment. Simply bring a bottle of your favourite spirit to one of our hidden away haunts and have our team of skilled bartenders, armed with an exciting array of homemade syrups, juices and bitters fix you something that really tickles your fancy, whether your taste buds are lusting after a classic or something a little more adventurous. So for an evening of flavour, frivolity and fedoras unlike any other, look no further than BYOC. The spirit of the speakeasy.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed August 4, 2014

I'd heard about BYOC from friends and colleagues who had been and I had an idea conjured up of what it might be like, as you do when you go somewhere new. But on arrival, I immediately realised I could never have imagined this place! These guys have got it right. BYOC is all about attention to detail.

Every step of the way they have clearly thought carefully & creatively about customer experience. You literally feel like you are going back in time to the 1920's; grammar phones and heavy set curtains, amazing bartenders in cravats making the most sublime cocktails I've ever tasted! What a great place. Amazing value for money, a brilliant night out and an awesome atmosphere. BYOC is for people who understand and appreciate a totally different social experience. If you are fun, quirky, creative, artistic, ready to be entertained for what is (in comparison to standard bars & pubs) an extremely good price, then BYOC is your place. The perfect setting to relax with friends in a special place.

It’s impossible to not enjoy yourself! We were looked after from the minute we arrived by a smiling hostess & then throughout the night by our mixologist. We’ll be back time and time again, there's nothing else quite like it!

Thank you BYOC for bringing this awesome idea to Brighton!

Reviewed August 2, 2014

By far the best speakeasy I've been to!
Didn't have the same drink twice all night and every single one was delicious. The hostess was welcoming the mixologists were fantastic. The best part was my initial reaction of being taken to an abandoned shop front, ringing a door bell and being whisked into a 1920s time warp.
I cannot recommend this place highly enough!

1  Thank LauraG0307
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

We booked a table for 4 and got the best seats in the house - practically had our own barman for the evening.

The drinks are as good as it gets. Let's get that out of the way straight away! Simply the best. The staff know their onions, there is nowhere else you can go for this experience. I did the maths too: £20 per person, plus booze money and a total of 5 drinks in our 2 hours makes it around £5 per drink... That's actually cheap!

They even threw in some much needed frozen hats towards the end of the night!

If I absolutely had to nitpick, we were sat a tad late and ushered out a tad early, costing us around 15 mins of our booking. But that's an absolute minor, it was worth it in every way. Thanks for a fantastic time, we'll be back!

1  Thank Liaqat-Shokat
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Having heard about a secret bar, I was immediately intrigued and have been wanting to go for a while. The concept is simple, you bring your own spirits and pay for a 2 hour slot at a 1920s inspired bar and they provide all the other ingredients you need and someone to make the cocktails for you.

Walking past it, you wouldn't know it was there with the front looking like an abandoned shop, if you know Brighton- it's just next to Ole Ole, however it's not easy to find as it's tuck into a tiny lane in the South Laines.

I booked a table of 12 for 3 birthdays and we were given the basement area which included seating area with stools, 2 sofas, a bar area for the mixologist and a small cinema area (playing an old black and white film). We had Sean making our drinks and he seemed very knowledgeable and was happy to talk through any of the cocktails he had made as well as providing knowledge of all their home made bitters and syrups.

As we were a large group, we decided to plan which alcohol people would bring so we didn't ended up with loads of bottles the same. He had used a bit of all the spirits we bought but the most popular ones used seem to be gin, rum and vodka however it was interesting to see what he could with some more unusual ones. Generally he made a round of drinks to speed up the process as we were happy to try most things, however he also accommodated someone who wanted something specific. The main focus is on the taste of the drinks, with only two styles of glasses there wasn't as much emphasis on the presentation.

It should be noted that you will need to pay a deposit of £10 per person before you book which I didn't find on the website and this was sprung on me the day before we went. We also found the basement to be quite hot and dark.

However on the whole, it was a great experience that I would recommend to try.

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

How much fun? Honestly. How much fun can you have with your own booze?

Such a simple idea. Take your own liquor, let the expert mixologists craft it in to delectable delight and enjoy.

Magic.

Quite simply the best fun.

You have to try.