“Disappointing Hotel”
Review of West Beach Hotel

West Beach Hotel
Ranked #36 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were not very impressed with this hotel.
The bedroom was very basic with cast iron beds and stains on all the furniture. The curtains were difficult to draw and the bathroom had a very poor finish to it with a very uneven floor and on leaving the room you tripped up over the small step so a safety hazard.
The double glazing wasn't very good because it felt like there was a party in our room, it was very noisy outside late at night.
On the plus side the receptionist was very friendly and the rooms were clean.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Clare F

Reviewed October 12, 2012

As usual I read the reviews before coming and they were not very complimentary but I was stuck because it was almost impossible to find a room during the 'back to university' season. But my daughter and I had the most pleasant surprise. The room in which we stayed was exactly the way it is advertised on their site. We had a great one night stay.

The only thing left to upgrade now is the general décor in the hallways. West Beach hotel is certainly headed in the right direction.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Dear reader, I have seen squats in better condition than our room. To be honest, the only way we coped was to laugh about it, although by the fifth time of hitting my leg on the exposed steel pole that made up part of the (below prison standard) beds, the laughter had become a tad hysterical. Stalag Nine, currently posing as the West Beach Hotel was unbelievably dreadful. Notable features of our room: melted carpet from having hot irons left on it, all-pervading black mould, undulating floors reminiscent of a funfair crazy house and the comedy step designed to trip you up every time you exited the room. This hotel, has nothing, bar its location to commend it. If you've ever slept rough been in prison or been held hostage in an abbatoir, lower your expectations further before booking a night here.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Birdtravelling
Reviewed September 23, 2012

After reading the other reviews we were expecting the worst, but we're surprised.
The reception staff were friendly. The room, was shabby, but clean. All the staff were friendly, and the bar was buzzing.

Our friends had a room with mould all around the bath, and no opening windows, and felt they were in an oven.

Considering the city was sold out, it was a good option and half what every other hotel wanted.

But I would not be back unless I had to

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2012

When we arrived we very nearly did not stay! We were not aware that there was building work going on (although the receptionist told me this was on the website, I have since looked and it is not), I booked by phone with you and was not told at the time.
Also, when we arrived with the displays, signs in foreign languages and flags signposting a language school (there was also groups of young people hanging about) I had to ask whether it was a hotel or a hostel. It definitely has a hostel feel in the entrance area. Despite me having my hands full of bags and a crying 2 year old, I was told I needed to find my card to pay the remainder of my stay. I asked if I could go and put the bags down and sort out my child and come back and I was told I needed to pay first. The receptionist did not understand a lot of what I was trying to say.
We got in the lift, which smelt strongly of urine and again nearly turned around.
We were pleasantly surprised when we got to the room which was very clean, spacious and the bathroom felt luxurious. However, having a 2 year old with us, I was rather concerned by the strong smell of paint, especially when one of the windows (which were very dirty) had a sign on saying we could not open it.
I strongly, strongly recommend that the windows need to be double glazed. Even with the windows closed it felt as if my bed was on the street as the noise from people passing and shouting was so loud. Staying as a family, I expect to be able to sleep at night and not have myself and my child continually woken by the noise of revellers outside. I understand that Brighton is a party town, but if you are offering a family room you need to support the family's needs which is a peaceful nights sleep!
Location was great though!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank 999cazzak
Reviewed August 3, 2012

The room was large for a twin but frankly it was basic to be polite. Walking to our room was like a crazy maze race in which you trusted a lift which seemed ancient and corridors which were tiny. Myself and my suitcase was a squeeze! It was close to the beach front but not the main shop/nightclub area and that is not a walk you can make easily if you are intoxicated. The reception area was manned by students who struggled to speak fluent english when we checked in and out and no one seemed to question anyone who entered or exited. This worried me.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Elizabeth G
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I booked in for 1 night. Everything was good - room clean, comfortable, quiet and teas n coffee in the room. Ensuite bathroom very clean and towels also(but fan in bathroom did not work). Its a good hotel for the price, close to all Brighton attractions and theatres etc and on the seafront. Slight downside - cafe/bar in hotel was closed but there is plently of choice to eat and drink within 2 min walk so not a major problem. I would stay again definately

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo