“Weak shower” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 98 Brighton B&B and Inns
hong kong
“Weak shower”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed there for 2 nights in June with 3 friends so there were 4 of us in total. We booked 2 single rooms and 1 twin room. The size of the twin room (No. 38) on the 2nd floor is very good with plenty of space which fit my friend and her daughter perfectly. The other friend stayed at a small double/single room (No. 37) is still good, just like the description in their website. I was allocated to room No. 45 on the 4th floor. I paid for a single room but it's their small double/single room so I was upgraded, I guessed. I didn't mind to climb all those stairs to reach the penthouse but the ventilation of the room especially during day time is no good for me. I need some fresh air to breathe after climbing all those stairs. My friends and I had tried to open the window a little bit but just couldn't.

In my room, one of the two lights in the bathroom was not working during my stay. That was the light near the shower so I had to take shower in the dark. Just like the caption of my review, the showers in all our rooms were very very weak!!! Actually on the last night of our stay, my friend who stayed at Room No. 37 had no water after she put on her shower gel!!! Luckily she had rinsed off her shampoo. Finally she had to use her own towel to get some water from the sink to rinse off the shower gel.

On the whole the staff were all very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good though I hope they could serve breakfast earlier on Sunday. They start serving breakfast from 8:30 on Sunday but we had to leave on 8:15. They did ask if we need to pack some food though. The home made cake in the reception was yummy but you had to get your piece early on Saturday.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Brighton-House, Manager at Brighton House, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are sorry you found issue with a couple of matters. We are surprised you and your friends had problems with your showers. We wish you had of mentioned it to us as there may of been something we could of fixed as no one else had issues. Same for the window in 45 as it does open (although not fully to avoid any accidents on the top floor). We would of been happy to come up and show you how the window opens. As for the light bulbs, I can only apologise that we didn't notice they had gone while cleaning your room. We do hope you will think of us again should you ever return to Brighton.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Keighley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Regency Square is about a ten minute walk from Brighton Pier, and perhaps a bit longer from the railway station. It's just opposite the ruined West Pier. The area is 'up and coming' you might say, with the construction of the new viewing tower underway.
Our single rooms were nicely furnished and clean, with very comfortable beds and plenty of top-quality pillows, bother foam and feather. Bathrooms were small but as expected, and very well equipped with toiletries and extra towels. Good shower.
Very nice basket of fruit in rooms, as well as biscuits and a well-equipped tea-making tray. Top marks here. There was a home-mae cake in reception for guests to help themselves to, and we were invited to help ourselves to fruit in the reception area at all times.
The staff were very helpful and friendly, and completely laid back. Just the way I like it.
Breakfast was a highlight, with a huge choice of mostly organic food, boiled eggs, fresh fruit salad, home-made yoghurt, superb toast and the best coffee. I laid in bed anticipating my breakfast every morning! The breakfast room is spacious and elegant.
And to top it all, there's Mr Watts the cat, for those of us who miss our cats when we're on holiday.

Room Tip: Single rooms are at the top of the house and good exercise! There's no lift.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your great review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and our breakfast! We, including Mr Watts, would love to welcome you back any time!
Exeter
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

From the moment you arrive at this lovely hotel, nothing is too much trouble. The staff are lovely and our room was too; the bed was so very comfortable. Breakfast was great and the location of the hotel is fantastic. I would certainly recommend this hotel and will definitely be staying there again when I next visit Brighton.

1 Thank Alison W
Brighton-House, General Manager at Brighton House, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review of Brighton House. We are all really happy you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Halifax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

From the point of check-in, to check out, the experience was fantastic.

Their website is very forth coming in mentioning that they do not have a lift, and that there are stairs involved. I mention this because other reviewers seem surprised by this.

The hotel does not offer parking, but they mention Regency Secure Parking on their website, and I cannot recommend this car park enough!! If I can do a separate review for them I will, but I have a feeling that TripAdvisor won't have a category for car parks.

Prior to arriving, I prebooked a spot with Dan at Regency. When I arrived, he remembered our email conversation from 2 months prior, including that I was having a rental car. He offered to park the car for me, as the spots are small and tight.

Before booking I was a little apprehensive about using their car park, because from the Google street view it looked like it was in a rough neighbourhood, but once I got there, I was very pleased with the choice.

After meeting Dan, I was 100% pleased with my choice, and Dan gave great tips on things to do while in Brighton.

Back to the hotel...

I was greeted pleasantly when I walked in, everything had been prepaid, so the check in was fast. The room was on the second floor, as I requested, and it was very clean, and stylish with a mix of old and new world.

The bathroom was fine, and small as expected from a UK hotel, but completely usable.

I had a good sleep, and the next morning was greeted with an amazing fresh organic breakfast, with a choice of eggs, breads, jams, breakfast meats, juices, etc. Certainly the best variety of any breakfast I had on the entire trip.

This is a great place to stay in Brighton, and within walking distance of pretty much everything.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SecretSauce
Brighton-House, Manager at Brighton House, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you for such a lovely review. We are especially pleased you mention and praise Dan at Regency Secure Parking as he is an asset to all the guest house near by. We really hope you can join us again should you ever be in Brighton again.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

The staff were very nice and helpful, the hotel is clean and comfortable. There are very few facilities so the price seemed too high. Breakfast was average - no cooked breakfast, the fruit looked very dry, otherwise OK. The cat is nice; our room was on the top floor and there's no lift, which troubled my wife greatly. It's in a good location for the seafront and the town centre, but parking is difficult so book a parking place well in advance to avoid a long walk.

Room Tip: If you don't like climbing stairs, ask for a room on a lower floor.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Brighton-House, Manager at Brighton House, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay on the whole. We do try to make it clear that we don't have a lift and the stairs can prove a problem for some people. We always try to get people who request lower rooms on the lower floors.
Tunbridge Wells, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

We used this hotel as a short two night break following our wedding and found the hotel very clean, the room was lovely with high ceilings, roll top bath and solid four poster! Ideal for honeymooners..Location is close to the beach and pier but not close to be noisy and there is an underground secure carpark in the square opposite the hotel which is great but cost £35 for our two nights stay. Good selection for breakfast. All staff were friendly and helpful and made our stay special.

Room Tip: Ask for room 35 if your feeling romantic
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are really happy you enjoyed your stay with us. And congratulations on your recent wedding. We would love to welcome you back to Brighton House should you ever return to Brighton.
Milton Keynes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Visiting Brighton again with my Mum from Belfast we could not stay at Brighton House because at 80 Years, she just couldn't manage the stairs (otherwise this would be my number 1 choice of where to stay in Brighton. Our last visit was last year when we were guests). We called Brighton House and explained that while we were not staying, my mum would like to visit Mr Watts. They invited us for tea! We had a lovely visit, a lovely tea and Mr Watts was his old gorgeous self. The staff made the time to chat to mum without neglecting their paying guests. And, I have to say, there were hugs! That they would be so kind to a frail elderly lady, when they were receiving not a penny, is testament to how special Brighton House is and how unique the staff are. You dont get this kind of care from a big chain. THANK YOU!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank C0c0andc0
Brighton-House, Manager at Brighton House, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words! It was no problem at all. Mr Watts love the attention! I hope your mother can come visit Mr Watts again some time. Best wishes from everyone at Brighton House and Mr Watts