“Best Dining Experience Ever!”
Review of 64 Degrees

64 Degrees
Ranked #11 of 1,168 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Tucked away in the Brighton Lanes, 64 Degrees is a small restaurant with an open kitchen by Great British Menu finalist Michael Bremner. Our passionate chefs concoct an evolving menu of tasty small plates using fresh, local produce. We hold a Bib Gourmand by Michelin and won Best Restaurant at the Brighton & Hove Food Awards 2014/2015. We were voted 16th in the National Restaurant top 100 list 2016 as well as being voted number 1 restaurant at the Brighton's Best restaurant awards 2016 & 2017.
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This was my third time at 64 Degrees since it opened & every time I have been blown away by the food, the atmosphere & the service. As a busy working mum, nights out with my husband are rare & we're spoilt for choice with eating out options in Brighton....but after our first trip to this unique & buzzing restaurant last Winter, I can't think of anywhere I'd rather spend an evening, eating incredible food, beautifully presented in a really funky, stylish environment. 64 Degrees is special & they make you feel special. After my first experience I took my work team there for our work Xmas dinner & the 5 of us (different ages, cultures, 3 carnivores & 2 vegetarians) ate our way through the entire menu...and everyone was raving about it for days afterwards. For our date night last weekend the menu had changed with the seasons, but we were not disappointed. Incredibly the new selection of dishes were even more flavorsome, innovative & beautifully presented than the last. And to top it off we had some stunning local bubbly which I would highly recommend. The service is friendly & everyone we spoke with (front of house & chefs) has such passion for and pride in the food. Head chef/ owner Michael Bremner is clearly a food genius & how he conjures up such inventive & tasty dishes I don't know. I am especially impressed because as a (fussy) vegetarian the veg dishes are the best I've ever tasted & my husband (an avid meat & fish eater) agreed that the veg dishes easily rival the non veg options. I really hope (& expect) 64 Degrees & Michael Bremner & his team to get the success & food fame they deserve, there is nothing else like it in Brighton for sure. I would encourage everyone who enjoys exceptional food in a buzzing, 'cool' yet friendly & inclusive environment to try the 64 Degree experience once & I'll be amazed if you're not planning your next visit before you've even left the building.

2  Thank LizzyVT
There are newer reviews for 64 Degrees

Reviewed March 5, 2014

I've not had great experiences with restaurants in Brighton. I've lived here 11 years but found most restaurants, even those with fine dining pretensions, lacked consistency. You go once - excellent. You go a second time - terrible. I had never found a restaurant that was consistently good, three times in a row.

I've been to 64 Degrees five times now. Each time as good, if not better, than the first.

Head chef Michael is a witty and inventive cook and – marker of a well-run kitchen – the food is equally good when Michael's away and Josh is at the helm. Sitting at the pass, is like having your own personal cookery lesson. The food is prepared and plated before your eyes.

People have been talking about a foodie revolution in Brighton. But what we got was better burgers, better burritos and better curry. This is the first restaurant I've been to in Brighton that matches up with the kind of event-dining experience I travel to London and New York to experience.

I personally don't mind sitting on stools at the pass, as you would in a sushi restaurant. I really don't like sharing tables with strangers, however (my problem, I know). So my only criticism would be that it's not a place to go for private conversations. Though I suspect 64 Degrees' growing reputation will see it moving to larger premises sooner rather than later.

2  Thank pupps
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I'd been looking forward to trying out 64 Degrees since a friend recommended it a few weeks ago and was not disappointed. From the relaxed and friendly service, through the delicious amuse-bouche, the simply styled menus and the spectacular food, it was the best dining experience I've had in Brighton since the heyday of Due South (probably not a co-incidence given the chef!)

The house egg and artichoke was a highlight but everything we had was delicious. At £70 for two, including desserts and a bottle of wine I thought it was actually quite reasonably priced for the level of cooking on show. Highly recommended, can't wait to go back

1  Thank Simon M
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

Lived up to the hype. What a great evening. This tiny place (was the TicToc cafe) was rammed on our arrival. We had drinks while we looked at the menu & waited for our spot at the pass. From there you get to see the team of chefs prep all the food and lay out the plates. Fascinating! Also they're happy to answer "what's that?" And so on.
The menu is short but very sweet. You choose three mains each from meat, fish and veg dishes. We sampled sea bass, scallops, pork belly and possibly the best beetroot and carrot dish I've ever tasted. The puddings were amazing! The chocolate one was just incredible. And rum and cola jelly bears with sherbet?! Wow.
Had oysters too, in fact it was al just superb.
The staff were friendly and attractive and it was really busy, so hats off to them.
The nicest surprise was the bill, 6 courses, three desserts, bottle of wine, aperitifs and change from £100. A total bargain for food of this high quality. Outstanding
Can't wait to go again. At last Brighton has a true fine dining experience that's great value, unpretentious and utterly delicious.

3  Thank Dweezil28
Reviewed March 2, 2014

My boyfriend booked this restaurant for our anniversary and well, what can I say? This is arguably one of the best restaurants I've been to and some of the best food I have eaten. The restaurant is pretty small inside which is probably the only criticism I have; however, it does add to the wonderful atmosphere. We ordered 9 (tapas-style) plates to share - 7 mains and 2 desserts. Sitting at the pass, we had a fantastic view of the chefs (including the owner) hard at work who all make it seem so effortless. What makes this restaurant so unique is how the dishes are prepared and served. Nothing is what you would expect. The creativity of the chefs is just fantastic as they seem to have the talent to turn an otherwise plain meat dish into something phenomenal. Finally, when we asked for the bill, we were expecting it to cost a lot more than it did - we were pleasantly surprised. And it was worth every penny.

Overall, this is an absolutely fantastic restaurant, serving some of the best food we have ever tasted. I would certainly visit Brighton just to eat here again.

1  Thank Dawn1708