“Brighton Belle”
Review of Ambassador B&B

Ambassador B&B
Ranked #79 of 95 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed at the Ambassador Hotel on a 2 night KGB deal. Excellent location and within walking distance of attractions. We travelled by train and from Brighton station the no 7 bus sets you down in St James's Road, a short walk from accommodation. Our room (No 4) was very comfortable, clean and quiet. Without exception the staff were welcoming and friendly and although breakfast on the first morning was something of a 'Faulty Towers' experience - the food was freshly cooked and tasty. Great value for money - who cares if the furnishings are tired looking - we only went for B&B, not to spend any time in the place. Breakfast good, bed extremely comfortable.

Room Tip: You don't really need a room with sea view as you just step outside and the sea + promenade are...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LiverpoolSmiley

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Wasn't expecting to much from reading the reviews but very pleased and suprised.
Had stayed in a B&B a few doors away from The Ambassador before and this is much better.
Yes the interior is dated, my room was small but perfectly fine for me - the furniture is all dark wood which makes it appear gloomy and the floors are wonky but that adds character!
Had an amazing sleep due to the super fluffy feather duvet, comfy pillows and black out heavy curtains. My room was at the back of the property (21) and had no sea view but the sun flooding through in the morning made up for that.The sheer privicy blind was a nice idea so you do not feel overlooked. Very loud seagulls be warned - they are in surround sound here as you are so close to the sea so if you are a light sleeper take ear plugs. Shower was great - powerful and hot with a selection of showergel, shampoo etc - nice touch. Breakfast GOLD STANDARD!!!! All local, all hot, nice choices for veggie/vegan/gluten free guests..... swift service with a smile.

Thank you - will reccommend to friends and will stay again

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank chrish76
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in March on a KGB deal. We paid an extra £25 a night for a sea view - a side sea view in fact. The public areas are very tired, probably due to the fact that their week business seams to depend on groups of students in late winter/early spring. First impressions were not good - frayed carpet on the stairs, probably due to the volume of traffic. Room was well decorated but the furniture was tatty - big hole in wardrobe. Can't complain about cleanliness of room and towels. tea/coffee etc provided, but something is missing - not sure what it is. Cooked breakfast on the first morning was very good. Second morning was totally different as we wanted a 'continental' breakfast and it appeared that there wasn't much available - guess they ran out of stuff after 2 nights of European students.
We paid £ 8.50 per day's parking and a bit disappointed that they charged an extra £1 per day just for giving a permit. Brighton is very expensive, but it's unlikely that we'll stay here again. Can't believe that they get anyone to stay at their 'rack' rate.

Room Tip: Extra charge for 'sea' view
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Having read reviews only a few days before our visit I was apprehensive to say the least but my concerns were short lived.
Yes the room was small and furnishings somewhat dated but it was clean and had all the amenities expected.
The staff were welcoming, breakfasts very satisfying and parking at £8.50 for 24 hours was very close by.
The hotel's location is fantastic and as a base for a weekend exploring Brighton it suited our purpose.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I just stayed here on the 15th feb, it was meant to be a 2 night break but left a day early. My room was basic, tv on the wall was bent and fuzzy, I had no headboard on the bed and a flat pillow, the carpet was loose where it was thread bare,where I tripped over and had a horrible view of the kitchen. I went to the bar where they had hardly any drink in and just said sorry I haven't been shopping yet. Also wasnt happy I had to park my car miles away from the b&b and still had to pay £10 for a permit. Then breakfast time was not a nice experience where it seemed to much trouble for them to get you anything, like I had to ask for beans after my breakfast arriving which I did ask for when ordering but had to wait 15 mins and I had to ask again which I just got a look, when I finally got them my breakfast was cold. They wasn't even busy, only about 4 couples in the restaurant. I would never return to this hotel as they want your money but not provide the service or comfort you would expect from a 4* more like a 2*.

Room Tip: Don't go here
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda E
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My wife and I had a nights stay with our 10 week old son. We let them know in advance and the hotel provided a cot for the room free of charge. We paid £78 for the room with both breakfasts included, we felt this was good value. There was a good choice of breakfasts and all were made from locally sourced ingredients. The service was excellent, they even looked after our luggage after we checked out for a couple of hours.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Daniel H
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed at this "Hotel" as it is called & was really disappointed. It is little more than a 1-star B&B & definitely NOT the 4-star it claims. Prices are way too high for the amenities & have paid less than half (was charged£125/night with 3rd night free) for far better facilities in Devon. The bathroom was literally a closet & the rooms VERY dated. Heating was very poor & could not be adjusted & the room was very draughty with wind coming in through the window frames. Breakfast wasn’t bad. On checkout, staff told me the parking had gone up & was now £25 for 3 days, whereas the website stated £5/day, which I refused to pay. Would I stay there again... a definite NO. Felt I had been ripped-off & left a very bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo