“Not What I was Expecting BUT....” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sea Spray Boutique Hotel

Sea Spray Boutique Hotel
Ranked #19 of 98 Brighton B&B and Inns
Devon
“Not What I was Expecting BUT....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed in the 'New York' penthouse suite for five nights. I have to say that for the price, I was expecting a little more for my money. On arrival, I was disappointed that 'luxury' was definitely off the menu, as was attention to detail and the room was not spotlessly clean (plus there was a stale odour about the suite).
However, after a couple of days (which included extremely good breakfasts) I found myself enjoying the almost 'home from home' feel about the hotel. The staff were prompt and respectful in dealing with minor problems I had with my room. They were also really helpful with servicing the room at times that suited me, phoning for taxis and helping with luggage etc; they often told me to telephone reception should I need anything (New York is on the top floor!). So I found myself almost preferring this relaxed, caring and homely feel about the place to some hotels which have plenty of the stiff and starchy luxury but can leave you feeling cold, self conscious and reduced to conversing in whispers.
I have booked up to go back again in a few weeks.

Room Tip: If finances allow, stay in the penthouse suite - it's really quiet!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed for four nights in the 'Boudoir' room. We chose this room specifically because we wanted a room with a separate lounge as we were traveling with our toddler, and wanted somewhere quiet to sit on a night time.

This basement room was nicely cheerfully decorated and larger then I had expected. The facilities were good and comfortable. It even had a small private courtyard. If you have mobility issues I wouldn't recommend this specific room as it is down a narrow set of stairs, but other then that it would suit most people.

The staff were very helpful. They helped me get our buggy up and down the stairs and were willing to cater to our toddler at breakfast time.

One feature I found particularly useful was that they offer a limited room service menu. For some reason this seems to be dying out as a practice and I really struggled to find a hotel in Brighton that offered this. Anyone who travels with small children will know that it isn't always convenient to eat out, so it was really nice to be able to relax in our room on a lunch time and have food brought to us.

The location is good as it is close to the pier and a busy street full of amenities, yet it is surprisingly quiet on a nighttime.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
tarnovo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We arrived in Brighton needing accommodation at short notice and booked though Booking.com via the internet. It transpired that the Hotel was literally 5 minutes away, just around the corner.
We arrived at Sea Spray Hotel and checked in however the accommodation was very poor and certainly far removed from what we had expected. My Wife spoke to the Manageress about a refund and was informed by the Manageress that she was unable to refund the payment .
I then spoke with the Manageress who said that we had booked a “Luxury room” and that was what we had got. I stated that simply calling it a “Luxury room” wasn’t sufficient as there was nothing luxurious about it. Anyway the outcome was that the Manageress stated that the cancellation policy was that we would forfeit all our payment (several hundred pounds) if we cancelled even though the room had only been booked a few minutes ago. As far as I’m concerned this is sharp practice as it obviously leaves you with no option other than to stay in accommodation that you bitterly resent at the time. We were offered another room but at additional cost.
In the end a slight reduction in the cost was negotiated but their methods were really objectionable in my opinion. Boutique must mean something different in the Sea Spray.
The room was what I would describe as a bedsit. In fact I would go as far as to say I’ve lived in better bedsit accommodation as a student. The décor was in very poor condition. The hotel was claimed to be “themed” but this was little more than the edition of a few tacky nik-naks of poor quality i.e a repro, tin American vehicle license plate nailed to the wall and an “Elvis parking only” sign hanging next to the bed. This was claimed to be the “Elvis” themed room.
By night the temperature in the room soared. We couldn’t work out why but it was unbearable leading to us having the noisy fan on throughout the night and the windows open. However the rest of the building seemed to be cool.
The poor TV, squeaky bed and the bedside lamp that didn’t work further added to the disappointment. Also there was no parking so we had to pay £10 per day to park.
The plus points were that the Breakfast was really nice, the staff at breakfast were really pleasant and helpful (although they did try to take my late away whilst I was still eating). The location was very good. The shower worked well and we had a nice time in Brighton but that was despite the accommodation rather because of it.
I have no objection to spending the money but I don’t want to feel like I’ve been ripped off and I don’t like sharp practice but appreciate that the Manageress is probably under pressure to not refund money. We had a good time in Brighton but it wasn’t worth the money.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank anthony c
Hertford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We loved Brighton and visited the royal pavilion for the first time. I would recommend a visit to enjoy the splendour and majesty. We also went on the brighton wheel which we really enjoyed. The food for friends restaurant was excellent and great vegetarian fare. We also enjoyed deck chairs on the beach sitting (and snoring! ) in the sunshine. A thoroughly enjoyable break.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
west midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

After getting stuck on the motorway for ages we arrived here, a chilled out place where we had the opportunity to relax right by the sea.

- parking is a nightmare but the hotel provides residential parking vouchers for £10 per 24hrs.

- we stayed in the oriental room which is fairly quiet and peaceful although compact as it states. It was clean the room was decorated nicely, the bathroom abit basic. Next time I would go for a bigger room.

- staff were polite and the veggie breakfast was lovely
-overall we enjoyed our stay and would go back

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
cockermouth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We paid £120 per night for the family room . a double and one single under ground level in the cellar at the back of the hotel ( see the photos I have put on the site ) .the only natural light therefore being 2 stories above the level of our room. The staff are good but it really wont make up for it if you are put in the dingy cellar room!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank steve w
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Just spent two nights in the Moroccan Room. Overall this boutique hotel is starting to look a little tired around the edges but it is in a great location and every member of staff was attentive, friendly and couldn't do enough for us. Great breakfast too. Definitely considering a return visit.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple